What's new

Exhaust fumes/smell in cabin I-CTDI

I think you'll find that manufacturers avoid repairing or recalling cars all the time.

Honda are one of the better ones at admitting a fault and solving problems.

Cheers for your input though, ive always said this place needs less well informed information, and more whinging and moaning. How's about you contribute something relevant or GTFO?

Dan Robinson said:
Well mine is in Honda Letchworth at the moment -we have a brand new 60 plate Jazz sitting out front... looks pretty enough, but the missus wants the Accord back ASAP.

I called HH, but I didn't get a call back until the following day and with the MOT up I HAD to get it in today. It failed the MOT only on the number plate lettering fading and a bulb. Still gutted abotu missing out on the warranty, but I would rahter have a safe car - looking forward to seeing if the manifold will improve the performance a little and reduce the smoking.

I have asked for them to leave the old one in the boot, so I will post some pics if anyone is interested.
Hey Dan that's my local dealer, I'm in hitchin.
I used to work at Norton way Honda, got some skilled techs there

Hi, as I said in my newbie post I noticed a burning clutch smell very rarely in the cabin but sometimes strong and most other times weak under the bonnet.
After reading through this thread and a reply off F6HAD I decided to turn the engine on from cold this morning and stick my nose to the rear of the engine bay.
Dammit, exhaust fumes.
I've only owned the car four days so have no v5c in my name. Should I wait for that to arrive or shouldn't it matter?
I was thinking of just putting it in for a service with them and see if they notice it and then try and get it done.
I think the v5c may be a problem.
Any ideas anyone?
If there's any strange words in my post that I missed it's the predictive texts fault.
Have a nice day.
Bri

I've booked it in for a service and health check at Holdcroft so it'll be interesting to see what turns up on the report.
The service receptionist did a check to see if there were any outstanding recalls on it but there were none.
The crack must be a bad one as the engine does sound as F6HAD describes early on in this thread.
Report to follow.

I'm not sure I understand the question about your V5C, why should that matter?

It's just the way I think F6HAD,i.e.would the dealer think that I'd bought the car on the cheap then try to get a quick cheap repair and sell it on.
If you see what I mean but like you say it shouldn't matter.
I'm glad I read this thread till my eyes hurt last night because I was still thinking it was clutch and with today being so hot and having the windows open the fumes were dragged in and the tappity leaky noise was prominent.
It's unbelievable,I took someone with me, we tested the car to almost destruction had or our heads under the bonnet with the engine running, you know the story and thirty miles later I've got a cracked manifold.

If the dealer won't do it under warranty we can peovide a repair at the Bradford workshop. Drop me a line if you need details

Thanks for the offer F6HAD I gladly will do but first I'll stamp my feet and cry like a baby at the dealership if need be.
Fingers crossed.
Many thanks again.
Bri

Well the health check revealed smearing wipers,a brake light out, number plate light out,a slightly split ns cv boot and a slightly split os driveshaft gaiter.
Handbrake was readjusted, brakes bled and a service done.
Price for the above works £413 but no mention of a leaking exhaust system which is getting worse and beginning to sound like a steam engine.
I've phoned four times trying to book in for an exhaust check and e-mailed the service dept too.
No call backs and no reply to my email.
I will go to see them today as work and a house move (which was the main reason for buying an estate was for, other than fishing) has prevented me from doing so just lately.
I'm beginning to wish that I'd spent the money rejuvenating my Passat.
Sigh.

Here's a condensed update.
After five phone calls to hh which were unanswered and an unanswered email asking for my accord to have its manifold checked out I finally got a booking after being a tad sarcastic on my sixth call.
The service receptionist said that they would have to put it on diagnostics for an hour costing £114.
The car is now sounding like a steam engine and stinking like hell so why diagnostics.
I rang Honda uk and explained it all to the guy on the phone and told him about my problems actually getting the car in to be checked.
Great bloke, he told me that when it's checked then either hh or myself to ring back and then he'll take it to the top fyi see how Honda can ***ist me.
Never at any time did he deny that a fault exists and was only too keen to get my problem sorted.
Stay tuned.

Picking my 2004 Accord up this weekend with 114,000 miles on it and this will be the first check I make !! Fingers crossed it's already been done along with the alternator belt!

If it's not, then you know where to come

Hi Grayedout, I've just been given a quote of £374 for the work off Holdcroft Honda. This includes two wiper blades though. I have spoken to head office prior to the inspection and quote.
They said that they would dosh to the garage and ring me back in a couple of days so either my quote is already discounted which seems likely our it is yet to be discounted.
I'll let you know.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Dosh means speak, stupid phone.

Well after being very patient but after making quite a few phone calls to HUK I have at last been told that HUK will be paying in whole for my manifold to be replaced which has made Bri a very happy bunny.

Thanks Fahad,I can now concentrate on getting the rest of the car straight and then look at egr fixes and tuning.
Bri

Thanks Fahad,I can now concentrate on getting the rest of the car straight and then look at egr fixes and tuning.
Bri

It's a good result really. These days they either reject them outright or only contribute towards the cost.

Yes I can understand that,I think the fact that hh weren't corresponding with me, i.e. Replying to emails not ringing back didn't help.
Customer relations must always be foremost.
We'll meet soon to give my bad boy a retune mate.

I called Honda after the garage confirmed I had an "exhaust leak" which I had complained about before. The car's ten years old! Honda kindly offered to cover the cost of parts and labour. Gestures like these make me want to stay with the brand.

TheJamMod said:
I called Honda after the garage confirmed I had an "exhaust leak" which I had complained about before. The car's ten years old! Honda kindly offered to cover the cost of parts and labour. Gestures like these make me want to stay with the brand.
Nice one, I've just had mine done with parts and labour covered.
It's a bit better on the fuel but the real bonus is not having recirculation all the time.
Now it's time for the alternator and belt to be changed.
Bri.

Did some testing and there is no black smoking in my wake after the exhaust manifold change. Using regular Shell. Will try a tank of V Power soon.

Hi all, I had the strong smell of exhaust fumes in the cabin of my 2004 167k Accord, after reading through this thread I thought I may as well give it a shot, so I sent a very nicely worded email to Honda head office about my Accord and the issue also not wanting to scrap the old girl just yet, and this was the response I got.....

Thank you for your e-mail. I can see that my colleague Katie has been dealing with your case. Katie has now left the company but I can see that she has updated the notes on your case.

At this time, your car needs to be checked and it has to be confirmed by your Honda dealer that the exhaust manifold is faulty. If this is found to be case then Honda (UK) would cover the repair in full. If, however, the matter is another issue then we would discuss the matter further with the dealer at the time.

I hope that this clarifies the matter for you.

Kind Regards,
Sarah

Customer Relations
Customer & Aftersales
Honda (UK)

Telephone: 0845 200 8000

So 3 days later I have my car back with a brand new shiny manifold, as previously stated its customer service like this that ensures brand loyalty, absolutely terrific customer service from start to finish.

Hey Guys new here just saw this thread as just purchased a 2.2 cdt-i and have the exhaust smell. The car has done 120k and is a 55 plate. Judging from your luck paulsco maybe I should give it a go.

Just changed my manifold last week (what a motherf*uck that was) and eversince i begun to get a vacuum reading of -1~1,2 psi when idle or driving under light load whereas before the manifold swap i`d see a 0. Is that something normal?

Hi all.

After reading this thread,unfortunately i am joining all you with this problem.
Noticed it in August i think but i've left it like that until a month ago.
The garage said it's the high pressure fuel pump gasket as it was leaking oil on the engine block and that is why i have the fumes in the cabin.
Went to honda and bought the gasket (15quid for an o-ring).took it back and replaced it,after that replaced the cabin filter ,but still got the fumes inside.i think i will try my luck with honda in a few days.
Car is a 2004 with 129k.full service history,so i hope they will make me hapy.

Thanks all and have a Happy new Year !