What's new

Exhaust fumes/smell in cabin I-CTDI

I'm afraid putting a bolt in the heat shield cover hole wont seal up the manifold as the shield sits on supports you can see them in this photo, might be worth checking the manifold nuts are all tight.

IMAG0240.jpg

Thanks Tony, it turns out my problem was nothing to do with the manifold in the end,I had a leaky injector.

Great thread - I've got the dreaded smell in cabin - booked straight in to Honda Newcastle and am going tomorrow morning. Good to know what it probably is and that at 90k should be covered. Full Honda service history but that doesn't matter.

Thats a clutch and a manifold gone at 90k - my focus is on 110k and has only had tyres and brakes!

How bad is the smell in the cabin?

Oddly since having the air con gassed I now get a slight smell of fumes in the cabin when I set off but it seems to go away quite quickly

Its very noticeable at idle but not noticeable at all when you're driving, however it can't be good. CO has no smell and I'm not about to expose myself to possible CO emissions. Lets hope its an easy fix.

Thanks for this thread. I've been smelling fumes in our car only when parked and worse when it is just started up, doesn't last long but it's there, when the cars moving you don't smell it. Cars done nearly 97,000 miles and is three years old. Booked it in for checking next week.

Cars been in this morning for manifold check because we were smelling fumes in the cabin, it is cracked and needs replacing. Waiting back to hear if Honda will pay for it, should hear back within the next week.

Dealer photo copied my service history and pointed out that there wasn't a stamp for a valve clearance check in the service history book, saying that it might make a difference to the claim. I personally don't see how, I will have to wait and see if it is covered. I was told that photos of the manifold were taken to send to Honda as well. The car has a full Honda service history and is three years old with just over 96,000 on the clock so should be covered by the extended warranty, but they cannot be sure.

There is nothing in a service that can prevent this failure so you should be fine.

There is nothing in a service that can prevent this failure so you should be fine.

Should be nothing, if there is a problem I will talk to Honda and or take the car to another dealer. I cannot see how a valve check/adjustment could cause the fault in any way. The lady said she would phone the previous Honda dealer to check to see if the valve check/adjustment had been done.

Thing to remember is that huk will know regardless of what dealer you go through.

Should be nothing, if there is a problem I will talk to Honda and or take the car to another dealer. I cannot see how a valve check/adjustment could cause the fault in any way. The lady said she would phone the previous Honda dealer to check to see if the valve check/adjustment had been done.

I thought the valve check/adjustment was petrols only? Which is why it would be unchecked.

Thing to remember is that huk will know regardless of what dealer you go through.

I would have thought that all Honda dealers could check a cars service and warranty history on their own systems, even when the car hasn't been serviced by them. I thought it strange why they photocopied my service history when a quick check at Honda HQ would show my cars service history etc anyway. Never mind, I guess they are making sure they have all the options covered so they know the job will be paid for in advance.

I thought the valve check/adjustment was petrols only? Which is why it would be unchecked.

lol, I thought that and I told her it was a diesel. Mind you, I'm not totally sure if diesels have valves lol, so didn't say anymore on the subject.

Over the last week I've also smelt fumes. My prefacelift had the cracked manifold which was replaced but I know the facelift had a different manifold. I've had a look and there's nothing obvious bit the smell seems to be coming mainly from the rear left of the engine near to the timing chain/exhaust area. I also noticed an oily looking pipe low down at the back left so may be linked. Looks like a trip to main dealer....again.

Over the last week I've also smelt fumes. My prefacelift had the cracked manifold which was replaced but I know the facelift had a different manifold. I've had a look and there's nothing obvious bit the smell seems to be coming mainly from the rear left of the engine near to the timing chain/exhaust area. I also noticed an oily looking pipe low down at the back left so may be linked. Looks like a trip to main dealer....again.
At least your still in warranty Paul. Make the most of it to get everything sorted before it runs out.

I'll certainly be trying to extend it for another 12 months when it expires.

I'll certainly be trying to extend it for another 12 months when it expires.

Sorry to hear you might have the same problem.

Regards Honda Warranties, I was offered one today. £250ish for the year with ten months interest free.

Are the extended warranties worth having then? I've bought extended warranties in the past, including one on the car we have now and they've all been a waste of money.

The facelift manifold was dodgy too, they had to revise it to a cast ***embly.

I bought my car from Holdcroft Honda and it came as part of the deal with the Honda warranty. I was told it covered the same as a new car. I had a new VSA pump (which was also covered on extended warranty specific to that part) and new Handsfree Microphone. We've had extended warranties with Warrantydirect and found them great, they paid out only £350 the other day for my wifes power steering pump on her Mini. With WD you pay up front and claim it back which with Honda you don't. Far easier!

Cars booked in for a week on Saturday. I'm certain that it's the manifold now confirmed it's also the facelift that's affected. Manifold number two!

I've been liaising with Honda Uk & Honda Happiness & Honda customer relations over the lady few days re. aconfirmed crack manifold. Honda UK suggested I try a different Honda dealers. Even offered to give me localized contact numbers!

Just an update on my manifold - booked into Springfield Honda in Newcastle and diagnosed as cracked manifold. Booked straight in once they had the part and repaired free of charge, no questions asked. Very good in my opinion.

Just an update on my manifold - booked into Springfield Honda in Newcastle and diagnosed as cracked manifold. Booked straight in once they had the part and repaired free of charge, no questions asked. Very good in my opinion.

Good result Simon

My tourer is into Brindley Honda @ West Bromwhich this morning for a look-see at the exhaust manifold.

I'm pretty sure that it has cracked as I'm getting the smells as described, and the threaded end of the three bolts that hold the heatshield on are well sooty. Thank you to the previous poster who posted a photo of the heat shield mounting lugs on the manifold. With this in mind I can't see how it can be much else. The chap who had a quick look yesterday seemed a bit dismissive to begin with but then agreed he could smell fumes.

Fingers crossed for a good outcome :ph34r:

Cheers
Robin

My tourer is into Brindley Honda @ West Bromwhich this morning for a look-see at the exhaust manifold.

I'm pretty sure that it has cracked as I'm getting the smells as described, and the threaded end of the three bolts that hold the heatshield on are well sooty. Thank you to the previous poster who posted a photo of the heat shield mounting lugs on the manifold. With this in mind I can't see how it can be much else. The chap who had a quick look yesterday seemed a bit dismissive to begin with but then agreed he could smell fumes.

Fingers crossed for a good outcome :ph34r:

Cheers
Robin

Hope you get it sorted, it does sound like that is the problem. We've just had the new manifold fitted to our car and I collected it yesterday. I'm very pleased that it was covered under the extended warranty and it was such a relief to know that we didn't have to pay out the best part of a £1000 for more work to be done to the car. Hope it doesn't happen again. Other than that, we were totally happy with the car.

Hope you get it sorted, it does sound like that is the problem. We've just had the new manifold fitted to our car and I collected it yesterday. I'm very pleased that it was covered under the extended warranty and it was such a relief to know that we didn't have to pay out the best part of a £1000 for more work to be done to the car. Hope it doesn't happen again. Other than that, we were totally happy with the car.

Good news so far, the manifold has been confirmed as failed and the garage have filed a claim under the extended warranty and have a new one on order. Just waiting for the call to say it's in stock.

Cheers
Robin

Good news so far, the manifold has been confirmed as failed and the garage have filed a claim under the extended warranty and have a new one on order. Just waiting for the call to say it's in stock.

Cheers
Robin

Sorry to hear your manifold has failed although it is good news that you've found the problem and I'm sure that your dealer can sort it out for you. Our car is now sorted and fingers crossed it stays that way :)

Arrived at 10:01 this morning at Huddersfield Honda. Gave my key to Tracy in reception and sat down. Waiting area had about 5 people waiting so feared I could be here some time. At 10:06 I was told it was diagnosed and they would lodge the warranty claim. Back home at 10:20. Really impressed (again) with the dealer.