What's new

Exhaust fumes/smell in cabin I-CTDI

Arrived at 10:01 this morning at Huddersfield Honda. Gave my key to Tracy in reception and sat down. Waiting area had about 5 people waiting so feared I could be here some time. At 10:06 I was told it was diagnosed and they would lodge the warranty claim. Back home at 10:20. Really impressed (again) with the dealer.

Great news that you're getting it sorted. Our car was in last week and I was really impressed with the service we were given by our local dealers too. I was even given a brand spanking new Civic 1.8i to borrow. I was told it might take two or three days to sort out (I guess they were maybe planning to fit the job in) Anyway, next morning I got a call to say the job was completed.

I've smelt the odd whiff which worried me a bit but Hubby said it might just be the after effects of the smell lingering around in the vents etc.

I've smelt the odd whiff which worried me a bit but Hubby said it might just be the after effects of the smell lingering around in the vents etc.

Good thing is, I no longer keep feeling the need to open the windows as I did before. Went out last night and I didn't reach for the windows once, so must be sorted now.

Yay :) My tourer is now sorted thanks to the guys and girls at Brindley Honda West Bromwich.

No smells now other than the expected "new engine" type smell from the new manifold and the engine is definitely quieter now. They also kindly fitted the new (OEM of course) fuel filter I supplied for a very reasonable £23.40 so I get to keep my knuckles in one piece, and the car had been vacuumed and washed when I collected it just.

Top service - highly recommended dealer !

Cheers
Robin

Excellent news!

Hi, does this smell smell like a zippo lighter or lighter fluid? I have noticed a whiff when i turn on my 07 diesel accord.

Cheers

Welcome to TA Naddy - the smell is like bad aircon, quite musty..

Best way to diagnose is to the run the engine on idle, lift the bonnet and have a good sniff behind the rear of the engine toward the bulkhead. If you smell fumes, it's cracked.

Hi, does this smell smell like a zippo lighter or lighter fluid? I have noticed a whiff when i turn on my 07 diesel accord.

Cheers

Welcome along,

Not having smelt them I cannot comment,

However I would imagine, it would smell like standing behind a diesel car with the engine running or a bus, when it leaves a bus stop, more burnt diesel fumes rather than just the smell of diesel.

However I would imagine, it would smell like standing behind a diesel car with the engine running or a bus, when it leaves a bus stop, more burnt diesel fumes rather than just the smell of diesel.

Pretty close to be honest!

We've just had our manifold changed and to be honest I'm a bit concerned because I still keep getting whiffs on start up and standing in traffic, the standing traffic I'm putting down to just being stationary. It is slight but I can notice it. I'm really hoping that it is the cars air vents just pulling air back in but the actual air system hasn't been turned on, seems strange why I can still smell it though. Funny thing is, the car does smell much fresher at other times. Could it just be that the smell is still in the vents? Oh and one other thing, strange one this........when I collected the car from the garage I noticed that the front passenger seat had been moved fully forward and the trim around the doors at carpet level was lifted around three doors and one of the rear head rests was folded down, surely there isn't anything in the car that would need altering that is connected with the manifold/exhaust system is there? Just puzzled me did that, couldn't work out why those things had been altered and moved.........strange one. Will the smell go away with time does anyone know? The manifold does look to have been changed, it is shiny so guess it is new.

Similar but with the smell of rotten eggs and a musty smell thrown in as well (or I need my noise changing lol)

^^ no idea why they would need to do anything inside the cabin Michelle... :huh:

It's possible your car has residual smell left from the fumes maybe trapped in the pollen filter. Give it a few more days and keep the ventilation on to get rid. Maybe change the pollen filter for good measure.

^^ no idea why they would need to do anything inside the cabin Michelle... :huh:

It's possible your car has residual smell left from the fumes maybe trapped in the pollen filter. Give it a few more days and keep the ventilation on to get rid. Maybe change the pollen filter for good measure.

Thanks, I will look at changing that pollen filter. I cannot see how it would still be the manifold when it has a new manifold on it. The front seat being moved, carpet trim edges being lifted and the folded down headrest are still buggin me lol. Maybe they were checking a recall, who knows. I did think about asking them at the time, but thought I was being petty so left it.

Hello all :)

Its got to be the manifold, was pretty awful today, I had to put the windows down just in case me and my family were breathing toxic diesel fumes!

I'll call the garage tomorrow, hopefully they will be able to do it on warranty, I'm hoping the clutch goes too so i can get that done on warranty as well ;)

Hello all :)

Its got to be the manifold, was pretty awful today, I had to put the windows down just in case me and my family were breathing toxic diesel fumes!

I'll call the garage tomorrow, hopefully they will be able to do it on warranty, I'm hoping the clutch goes too so i can get that done on warranty as well ;)

Hope you get your manifold sorted under warranty. I didn't know that the clutch was covered under a warranty, but hope you get it sorted if it does go.

Hope you get your manifold sorted under warranty. I didn't know that the clutch was covered under a warranty, but hope you get it sorted if it does go.

From what I gather it is, since its a common problem, I'm sure some one on here will be able to confirm this as I am not entirely sure why I think it would be actually.

Hopefully the peformance will improve a little with a new manifold too.

From what I gather it is, since its a common problem, I'm sure some one on here will be able to confirm this as I am not entirely sure why I think it would be actually.

Regards the performance after a manifold change, you'd think that it would improve. Ours has actually dropped, we are getting a couple of miles less per gallon than we were. Hopefully that will correct itself. Hopefully someone will answer the query about clutches, not something I know about. :) I have read about people having to have their clutches changed around the 95,000 mile mark though.

Clutches under warranty are a grey area. The onus is on the driver to prove the wear has occured due to a manufacturing problem rather than driver error.. I know of some that have had it done, and others flatly refused.

I had my clutch changed under warranty, however the car had only done 21k.

Other than that, unless specifically covered by the warranty sold with the car, the warranty on a clutch is generally 1 year from fitting. There isn't any extended warranty as such.

Hi,
My accord tourers suffering from the same diesel fumes in cabin problem, Its only done 64k and I have booked it in to pheonix honda glasgow tomorrow, The sore throat and headaches were the give away. When I spoke to the service manager I also mentioned the dreaded vsa warning lamp on the dash so diagnostics tomorrow aswell, The car is under 6years old so i hope im in witrh a chance.

Now before I contacted the dealer regarding the above, I phoned honda GB direct and they were very evasive with regard to the vsa problem (legal reasons) and when quizzed about the cracked manifold/fumes problem they stated that there was no recall for this problem?, I just hope that the service department helps me out........... we will see?

Regards

Cairn15

Cracked manifold, if diagnosed is a no quibble claim - and I agree, it should have been a recall.

The VSA problem will be authorised if it's less than 62k miles and less than 6 years I think.

I know its 2k over but im hoping common sense prevails, If I get a result I will sing the service managers praises highly, I will just have to wait for the call.

Well finally got round to looking at my old manifold in the light - pretty obvious where the crack was, and that it was bad. The inside of the cover is seriously coked over with soot.

I have to say I am pretty disappointed with the quality of the welding.
IMAG0981.jpg

IMAG0982.jpg

IMAG0983.jpg

IMAG0985.jpg

IMAG0986.jpg

IMAG0992.jpg

IMAG0994.jpg

Hey ho, all good now.

just out of interest where exactly is the crack ? If I took off my hthree heatsheild screws and the underside of the manifold was all sooty like that..am I safe to ***ume mine is cracked? If so it might be the second manifold as I'm sure the previous owner already had it done under warranty...

Whats the difference between the old style manifolds that cracked and the new ones please? How do I tell if the replacement manifold is the new designed one and not an old stock manifold that will crack. Thanks.

Old design is a two part cast, welded together. Revised unit is a single cast design.

Old design is a two part cast, welded together. Revised unit is a single cast design.

Ar right, so the weld line seen in the picture above is the old one then. You cannot see much of the manifold but I think ours must be the new one because I cannot see that weld line looking down on the manifold from the engine bay. Thanks.

Michelle, if yours has been replaced, it will be the revised design as that is what is specificed in the warranty recall..

Yes it was replaced a few weeks ago now. Thanks for that, makes me feel better to know it won't happen again (fingers crossed) because the updated manifold will have been fitted.

Hi, Just got my car back from the dealers, they kept it for three days and told me on the second day that a new exhaust manifold had been fitted, then on third day phoned me to say warranty claim on vsa modulator was declined and guess what? .............they then said your car will be ready later today were just fitting the new exhaust manifold, What was wrong with the one they fitted on wednesday?, anyway steam pouring out of ears regarding vsa issue so drafting up letter to Mr Takanobu because talking to huk is like dealing with woodentops , I had a trouble free avensis tourer with 185k on it prior to my accord, Ask me if Im hacked off.......................seriously

Anyway from what I can see I have a new heatshield and I will check tomorrow just to make sure there not at it.

Regards

Cairn15