What's new

Exhaust fumes/smell in cabin I-CTDI

Well finally got round to looking at my old manifold in the light - pretty obvious where the crack was, and that it was bad. The inside of the cover is seriously coked over with soot.

I have to say I am pretty disappointed with the quality of the welding.
IMAG0981.jpg

IMAG0982.jpg

IMAG0983.jpg

IMAG0985.jpg

IMAG0986.jpg

IMAG0992.jpg

IMAG0994.jpg

Hey ho, all good now.

My car has suffered from this (not all the time) - I'm thinking of asking Honda about replacement, only thing is my car now as 186k on clock (54 plate - Mfr'd 08/12/04).

I have found my receipt from the 125k service (03/09), and in the attention bit at the bottom it states - Exhaust Manifold Blowing £604.90. That was my last service with Honda as either DIY since or local mobile guy has done it. Still managed to get through 2 MOT's fine without anything being picked up (probably because car was warm from running).

DO I have a case to claim or should I not bother?? The fact that it was picked up a few years ago should go in my favour??

Cheers
Carl

You'll be very lucky mate - but worth a shot.

Just booked mine into Chiswick Honda for next Monday, after a few days of exhaust fumes in the cabin. It seems to be worst in heavy traffic, and at first I thought it was the other cars around me, but now I've realised it's mine - a couple of headaches on the way home recently have confirmed it. Can only be the fumes!

The chap I spoke to said "they'd changed a few of these" and asked that the car would be booked in for more than a day. Obviously they will inspect it but he was talking as if the replacement would go ahead; almost like it was a formality.

Will let everyone know what happens.

It is just a formality mate, they don't even need to see the service history for this one.

Yep sadly the Monksy mobile has picked up a rather bad smoking habit (apart from it normal one) and has decided I should be gased. Headaches and general feeling of fatigue where my ques also a whiff of fumes when stationary. Also noticed MPG has really suffered too Im ***uming this is due to the leak and turbo having less pressure to work from.

Anyway its booked in this week to have it sorted.

It is just a formality mate, they don't even need to see the service history for this one.
The guy did ask actually, but it was more of a "does it have a full service history" rather than "we need to see it on the day". I'll take the books along in any case.

Yep sadly the Monksy mobile has picked up a rather bad smoking habit (apart from it normal one) and has decided I should be gased. Headaches and general feeling of fatigue where my ques also a whiff of fumes when stationary. Also noticed MPG has really suffered too Im ***uming this is due to the leak and turbo having less pressure to work from.

Anyway its booked in this week to have it sorted.

Normal service is now resumed for my motor, power and fuel economy are all back to normal.

Half days work for the HH lads
Nice one Andy i didn't think it affected the facelift i must be wrong.What mileage is on yours mate.

Nice one Andy i didn't think it affected the facelift i must be wrong.What mileage is on yours mate.

Faddy has always maintained that he thinks it will effect all icdti's at some point, I agree with him. The facelift manifold is the same fabricated item and the metal around the welds seems to crack. I think your thinking about the timing chain which was a revised item and does not affect the facelift. My car has done 55k but I noticied something wasnt right from about 53K just the last week it became a real issues.

I think your right there about the timing chain i just rememberd nesh had his many done as well.well if i don't get my type s soon this will be my next issue iv got 49 k lol

They are kist poor quality welds on the originals.

Half days work for the HH lads
Interesting - Chiswick Honda are aiming to hand back the car at 5pm today but they have asked if they can keep it overnight i.e. two days' work. To be fair, they're doing the fuel filter at the same time but they quoted 30 minutes work for this.

Facelift manifold is a different design but its your remap boys all that power is going to make excessive heat that energy has to go some where ? pressures in the manifold increase due to higher boost pressures. its a stock item not a modified one..

Cant expect stock reliability on modified engines , goes with the territory

CJ you know as well as the next man the workmanship on those fabricated items is shocking in some cases. If it was upto the job in the first place why did Honda source a single cast one as replacement, and further more offer a no quibble warranty extension. Altho I recognise its a massive health and safety issue which forced Hondas hand somewhat I cant help feel another manufacturer would have just wiped its hands of the problem offering no extended warranty.

Well all i can say at least Honda has recognised the fault and sorted it.

As with the clutch CJ, cracked manifold is also seen on non tuned cars. It's not an argument that stacks up I'm afraid.

Got my car back today with the new manifold and there's a real difference; quite apart from the absence of any fumes, the engine is certainly much more punchy. I'd also swear fuel economy has improved, because the average MPG display had been reset while it was in and was showing less than 10mpg where the car had been moved about. Yet after a short drive back to the office, then home to Herts out of London, it had climbed to 50.4mpg - way higher than I'd have expected after such a low start.

The guys at Chiswick also fitted a new fuel filter I'd purchased from eBay (via Howards Honda in Taunton). They did it for £60 (30 minutes work). No problems although I noticed the car takes a touch longer to start.

The manifold fix has however exposed a potential problem though which wasn't present before: a mild top-end rattle under medium or hard acceleration in all gears above 2,000rpm. Turbo spins up perfectly. I'm sure it wasn't there before, but may either be a consequence of the new manifold or perhaps a problem with its fitment. After my 26-mile commute tomorrow I may put a call in to get it checked quickly.

Facelift manifold is a different design but its your remap boys all that power is going to make excessive heat that energy has to go some where ? pressures in the manifold increase due to higher boost pressures. its a stock item not a modified one..

Cant expect stock reliability on modified engines , goes with the territory

I'll have to disagree there, they made a dud manifold its a diesel turbo for goodness sake its has to be super tough no iffs ors buts. the stock mr2 turbo manifold can easily take 600horses without cracking, no flow issues. I know its a different car but the point is stage1 or 2 should not reck this manny, it just highlights a poor design that was already there.

Can't compare rock solid Toyota to Honda Sal, if only Honda could make em like their rivals. That's why Toyota's are so popular in taxi. Honda's just don't cut it in the solidity of build quality, and I'm talking both Petrol and Diesel by the way. I've had my fair share of cars to draw a comparison.

CJ, you're right in the general sense. But in this specific instance, the cracked manifold is a design flaw and is therefore covered by Honda. Period.

Whether your car is tuned or not, there is a likelyhood you will need a new manifold because of it. Don't confuse the issue please.

As for tuning stressing the engine, it all depends on who has tuned it. The ICTDI has a very high power reserve due to it being detuned from the factory. I would suggest if you are pushing it to the 200bhp barrier and above, then you will ultimately be stressing it. But at 180bhp it's just fine with another 15-20% reserve left in there before it hits its safe achievable ceiling.

At the end of the day, there's more tuned ICTDI's on here now than non tuned, and how many engine issues have you seen?

Again, I don't disagree so not sure what we're arguing about. I'm talking 7th gen ICTDI which doesn't have DPF, you're talking 8th gen with DPF (totally different scenario).

As for scientific tests, are they better than real world experience? Maybe for you, but for me (and I suspect most people) real world is what it's all about.

And as for them doing their research, I have my own theory on that. Put simply, if Honda are selling:

A - a 2.4 petrol which makes around 190bhp and little torque, costs a lot to run on fuel and tax..

B - a 2.2 Diesel which makes similar power, with bags of torque, costs (perhaps a little more to service) but far more fuel and tax efficient..

Which would most people want to buy?

I already know your answer, but it won't be the same as everyone else.

Yes you can chuck in the argument which I know you will that you need to spend more to run a diesel because of costly repairs yada yada yada, but on face value when someone is flicking through brochures and making decisions on company cars etc. The choice is pretty easy and it won't be choice A.

popcorn3.gif

Check you two with your popcorn :lol: they are in love really :wub:

Im must say im struggling to see what the debat is really :rolleyes:

That's half the fun. :lol:

It's a love/hate relationship guys. CJ loves me and I hate him :lol: