What's new

Exhaust fumes/smell in cabin I-CTDI

Hi I've got a 2006 accord with really bad fumes in the cabin, went and had it checked at a friends garage and was told the manifold had a large crack in it, went on to say that will cost a fortune to fix and Honda only parts, so I started looking on the www for a manifold and came across this site, what an eye opener, read through the whole lot about this problem, phoned Honda uk straight away, was told to take it to my nearest Honda dealer ASAP, I'm mk so just down the road from me, they took it in straight away 30mins later told me that it was covered by Hondas extended warranty as its a bad design fault , it's booked in for this Wednesday so will keep you informed, was told I won't have to pay anything, let's see if that's true. Forgot to say that the wife drives the car 90% of the time and hasn't been at all
well the last week or two, could this be the exhaust fumes I wonder.

Yes mate, these fumes will cause headaches and sickness in most people. They did for me.

Carbon monoxide poisoning isn't really something you want your missus to get (unless you don't like her).

Horrible stuff CO. It would be interesting to see if anybody has been seriously affected by the fumes whilst driving to the point of collapse or hospitalization.

it make me litteralt sick once, when i had the issue...

Im now finding that if i leave the car to idle i get fumes in the cabin. if i drive then the fume smell goes.

I have got the 'revised' manifold too.

Carbon monoxide poisoning isn't really something you want your missus to get (unless you don't like her).

Horrible stuff CO. It would be interesting to see if anybody has been seriously affected by the fumes whilst driving to the point of collapse or hospitalization.
I'm going to do an investigation into this as my wife is showing all the symptoms of co poisoning, three days of work and severe headaches, shes a very fit person, walks 4-5 miles every morning and all that stuff, she's booked into the docs wed so will see what they say, I cant drive the car without all the windows open as the fumes are awlful, she's been doing about 60 -70 miles a day in it, mk to st neots and back, il let you no my findings.

I've been driving around with blowers on circulate due to the diesel fumes since buying the car. Now i think it's time to have a look under the hood for a cracked manifold. Hope this can still be replaced under warentee.

well guys.

Its been just under 10k miles since my chain was replaced and i have had nothing but issues with my injectors.

It seems like cyl~2 is getting blow by again...
this is #2 right ? always has been on older cars i have worked on.... (i know its firing cycle is #2)
IMAG0575.jpg

closer in......
IMAG0573.jpg

IMAG0574.jpg

Again, i am not impressed by my local honda dealer as they said they had 'fixed' the issue.
I never had any of this injector blow by issue until after the chain was replaced, and since then its been back 4+ times :(

As usual.. i will give the local honda dealer a chance to fix this first before i consider going to HUK.
The problem is just getting out of hand and i have very little confidence it will get fixed permenantly....

I have the car booked in to the dealer to check out the above... i will let you guys know the outcome.

to be seeing this issue again has made me rather fustrated...

Could some one please confirm , the cylinder than im pointing to is cyl #2 please.

Which dealer do you use? I found Alan Day near PortSolent were brilliant, but then they were taken over by Hendy and have been rubbish since then! Don't fancy going to them for my 100k service really.

Which dealer do you use? I found Alan Day near PortSolent were brilliant, but then they were taken over by Hendy and have been rubbish since then! Don't fancy going to them for my 100k service really.

Trev.... who do YOU think did the work :rolleyes:

I will not slate this dealer yet as my car is due to be 'looked at'
If you have a look at my other thread... it will show you the amount of times i have been there....

see here : http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/topic/4542-injector-issues/

Car is at Johnson's honda MK today getting the new manifold fitted. I went in on Monday thinking it was going to get fixed there and then. They handed me the paperwork to sign, and then said thet'll be

Service Staff: £45 please.... WHAT?

Me: No it's a warranty repair i said..

Service Staff: Oh well we have to pay somone to investigate

Me: It will take two seconds to identify the problem, just lift the bonnet and you will smell the fumes coming from the manifold.

Service Staff: (condescending voice) I think It'll take a little longer than that

I then began a rant, and eventualy got what i wanted without paying the £45!!

Nice one - bloody cheeky gits the lot of them.

I took my car in to Stratstone in Leeds today with fumes in cabin issue - they checked the car and confirmed that it was covered under warranty for a replacement manifold (mine is an 05 and has done 89000 miles).
They also carried out another recall while they had the car to do with preventing water leaking into headlights (without me asking !)

Unbelievably I wasn't asked for any money at any point - It was an unusually pleasant dealer experience all round - I'm feeling full of Honda Happiness :D right now and would strongly recommend them !!

Not been on here for a while, but over the last few weeks I've started getting the exhaust fumes in the cabin. So I had a quick look on here and found this thread, really really helpful. So armed with all the information I booked into Swansway Honda in Rochdale. The service receptionist seemed to know all about the Manifold problem and the extended warranty and advised that I bring it in asap so they could check it all over for me.

When I arrived they asked me how long I wanted them to spend looking for the problem as the time would be chargeable... To which my response was its under the extended warranty and if it is the manfold then I dont think i should be paying anything. He (the service manager) made a funny face and said no problem, and within 5 minutes was back and explained that the manifold needed replacing and they would send off the warranty claim to HUK and let me know the outcome.

I called them today as I hadn't heard from them and they told me that HUK had approved the warranty claim and they were just waiting on the part to come in so they could book me in.

So far they have only checked the mileage which fortunately is at 119k. They haven't asked for service history or receipts etc. I do have service history though with the majority of it through Honda and the last 2 services were done independently 1 when i bought the car and one 6000 miles later when the MOT was due.

Now reading through this thread I noticed all but one guy had the warranty claim rejected, now what worried me was that he went to Swansway Honda in Manchester, part of the same group that i took mine too, and he was rejected on the basis of not having Full service history with Honda. Fortunately mine has been approved and its just a matter of getting the work done. I just find it really odd that 2 dealerships within the same group have 2 different outcomes on what is the same problem and what should be covered under the extended warranty. But who am i to judge hey..

Well I've got my fingers crossed and hope that all goes well and they sort everything under warranty for me. And i will report back once the work is done....

This is very interesting....

surley a 07 plate accord would have had the revised manifold fitted ?

if this is a revised manifold that is blowing... i wonder how long it will be until the replaced versions start to go on the older cars!

This is very interesting....

surley a 07 plate accord would have had the revised manifold fitted ?

if this is a revised manifold that is blowing... i wonder how long it will be until the replaced versions start to go on the older cars!

Well thats what i was led to believe too, weren`t the facelifts already fitted with the reworked part.??
But no, mine, also an `07 facelift diesel sport, had to have its manifold replaced a couple of weeks ago, the service guy remarked it was strange to see such a fresh car in for that..

btw mine hadn`t any recent service history and was done for free :eek:)

It's a myth that the facelift's were fitted with the revised part guys. Perhaps the last of the production line may have been, but the part approved for warranty claims is a revised part.

The guy that has his claim rejected I believe was using his car as a taxi.. and to be honest, I think there is more to the story than just what was said on this forum. It's the only claim I've ever seen rejected that was supposedly within mileage limit ;)

Well I dropped my car off on Monday morning to have the work done and got the car back mid afternoon the same day, all done and I could smell the difference straight away, no diesel fumes or smell of any kind, the car smelt fresher as soon as I got in. So a big thumbs up to Type accord for this thread and also to Honda for recognising there is a problem and doing it under warranty and also to Swansway Honda in Rochdale for carrying out the work with no questions asked.

Azeem

Nice one AZ, this website is brilliant, not only for newer members but for existing. Members too, great forum for information and a good banter with brilliant bunch of guys on here...I think it is a myth that facelift accords are all fitted with revised manifolds, mines a facelift and had to have it replaced, dealers should be well aware of it by now, how they choose to deal with each case, is a different story.

Well done Azeem, a good result.

Feeling really ill right now, think i may have the same problem, im on 124,495k miles and seven years old in September.
i first noticed a sound similar to an exhaust blowing, coming from the engine bay, but as i just fly up and down a bypass to work each day with no stops, hadn't noticed any other problems.
Until i went on a long run today, lots of stopping and starting. the smell of fumes became really bad.
Stuck my head in the engine bay and it stinks.
After reading through these forums, I've booked my car in at my local Honda dealer and had them confirm, if that is the problem they will replace it FOA.
Thank you for this thread, this could have cost me £500 and up. not to mention carbon monoxide poisoning.

After thumping headaches all evening, I'm booked in at Chester Honda tomorrow morning.
6yrs 7 month old, 124,495k miles. patchy service history.
Used to be a fleet car, so all in house servicing. then I've had it serviced private every 12 months.
Armed with all the info from this thread, I'm ready to go.
Thank you
Fingers crossed all goes well.

After thumping headaches all evening, I'm booked in at Chester Honda tomorrow morning.
6yrs 7 month old, 124,495k miles. patchy service history.
Used to be a fleet car, so all in house servicing. then I've had it serviced private every 12 months.
Armed with all the info from this thread, I'm ready to go.
Thank you
Fingers crossed all goes well.

Fingers crossed Alex,

I think you'll 'just' make it mate ;)

Well Honda confirmed the cracked manifold, booked me in, sorted me out with a free courtesy car. dropped the car of this morning and picked it up this afternoon.
not even a mention of FSH whether it be Honda or private.
Car sounds better, runs better and most important of all smells better.
full of Honda happiness right now, i love my Accord ex.

Well Honda confirmed the cracked manifold, booked me in, sorted me out with a free courtesy car. dropped the car of this morning and picked it up this afternoon.
not even a mention of FSH whether it be Honda or private.
Car sounds better, runs better and most important of all smells better.
full of Honda happiness right now, i love my Accord ex.

Great result, it's good when things just get sorted without hassle isn't it! :)

Hi, took my car to Lightcliffe Honda ( warrington ) last week for a new clutch as mine started slipping. I can only give them praise, they gave me a phone at about 3pm and i thought that it would be to tell me that i needed the fly wheel replacing as well. But no, fly wheel was fine but your manifold is cracked and it will be replaced under warranty. New clutch and manifold replace for £600, i personally think it was money very well spent... Oh i almost forgot, when my neighbour asked me where my car was and i told him he said that i should have asked his mate as he would have done it for about £300. I have seen where his mate dose it... outside his house, some how i don't think his mate would have spotted the cracked manifold.

Nice one dude.