What's new

Few gearbox jobs to do.

Barts024

Members
Reaction score
Car
03 2.4 Accord Type S
I have a bit of holiday coming up so looking at ripping out the cl9 gearbox and replacing the clutch and also looking into getting hold of an ep3 gearbox and do the gear swap at the same time. Also Is there a Lightened flywheel avaliable for the cl9? Is it worth getting one?

As for ep3 gears its a first for me so a bit of an experience on the way but feel its not beyond my capabilities, but will need a slight point in the right direction. Can anyone tell me if there's a how to thats been done or is it fairly straight forward? I ***ume I will be looking at ep3 gears 1-5 then cl9 6th gear for sensible urban/ motorway driving and ep3 final drive? I can get hold of a dc5 final drive if that will be any better than the ep3 one or if it even fits? What else do I need to consider doing whilst the gearbox is out? Worth doing synchros and bearings?. Once that's done will I have to upgrade any other engine components at all?
I will be looking into the littlebo reflash in the near future also.

Search for a member called Anojan, he did this in his cl9 a few years back

Had a good search in members and previous posts but can't seem to find anyone under Anojan?

I did this about a week ago, 1-5 gears from EP3 + FD 4.7, and kept the 6th from the Accord. I've already reflashed the car, but changing the gears is the best performance/acceleration upgrade you can do.
You need to swap the gears, synchros, main and countershafts and final drive crownwheel from EP3 gearbox to yours, as the EP3 case doesn't fit on the Accord.
If you could change the differential, do it, as the EP3 looks much more performance oriented, it has 6 planetary wheels, the Accord has 4. I didn't have time to experiment, so I just fitted my standard one.
Note that the speedometer will show 4-5mph more if you change the final drive, which I recommend if you want acceleration.

Any questions, feel free to ask :)

ep3 and dc5 final drive is the same 4.7.

dc5 has shorter 4/5/6 gears.

i cant wait to get a 2.4 so i can do the above mods. i have the final drive off my dc5 in the garage as i upgraded the dc5 ratio to 5.33.

id want to throw an lsd in there though

Has anyone ever swapped out just the FD to the 4.7 and left the gears alone? Or is that not worth it?