What's new

Found the problem! CLUTCH!

So wat's wrong?Clutch?

Sorry I missed your call earlier mate left it in the car. Doh!! So as we thought then mate? Glad you got that 2nd opinion ;)

You sure the gearbox is knackered? A totally failed clutch pressure plate will also cause this.

And £200 labour to fit a clutch is a bit steep if that's supposed to be mates rates.

Get a second opinion.

Ok I must've missed a whole page there but there you go lol

Sorry bud but that 'mechanic' ain't no mate of your dads!

Outrageous! Can't believe they tried you on for a new gearbox. Lucky the mechanic still has his teeth ;) . I'd be on to trading standards though in all seriousness.

Mutley mate it's just like we thought yes! I knew something was fishy.

Brett I was honestly surprised too that it could fail that quickly!

Thomas yes it's just a clutch change now

Fahad mate the £200 was for the clutch and some other bits and bobs that needed doing. Dad went AWOL obviously at him but I guess he's just a tard isn't he?

Will update again tomorrow when car is in one piece :) how long does a clutch need bedding in? Miss Vtec already! BMW is far quicker but miss the Vtec :(

Steve mate I just read your post I'm going to sort that lying **** out later don't you worry about that!

Would anybody like me to explain what he said was wrong with it? Anyone up for a laugh?

Yes please mate

Your goin to have to wait till I'm home from the gym though! Will post by 11 ish! Will be worth it lol

I'll check in then buddy ;)

Right i am slightly stupid when it comes to technical terms so you will have to try and follow! Just ask Mutley :lol:

Anyways, as you are all aware the gearbox has 2 ports, 1 on either side. 1 is connected to the engine and the other is connect to the drive shaft which powers the wheels. Inside are the little 'pistons' as i like to call them that rotate forwards for front gears and backwards for reverse obviously. Then you have the shaft that comes out of the box that the flywheel and clutch is mated to etc yes? Everyone follow? lol

Mechanic 1 had the car on the ramp with gearbox on it and split it between the clutch and gearbox and wedged in his hand to the 'shaft' and rotated it saying that it is not meant to be moving and should be locked in place?

Took it too mechanic 2 and 3 and they both selected each gear on the box and rotated the 'shaft' and heard no noises or whining and the 'pistons' were moving freely :). To which they said 'so whats wrong with it then? If the 'shaft' does not move then how the heck does the car move forward then?'. To which i was like oh yeah good point!

After more playing around about 15-20 minutes they are baffled and tell me he guarantees that the box is fine and mechanic 1 is trying to pull a fast one and maybe sell my working box.

I then go to mechanic 1 and demand the car to be put together somewhat to be trailered to mechanic 2 to get fixed as mechanic one is clearly not able to do a simple job. Car is then filled with driveshafts, intakes, battery, under tray etc etc and lots and lots of bolts! and washers! lol

I then take the car and unload at mechanic 2 and he tells me to leave it with him and he promises nothing is wrong with it and its just the clutch as he could even smell it around the gearbox. Mechanic 1 also tried telling me which bolt is for what and what goes where but mechanic 2 laughed and said one by one where everything goes so no need for that. Clearly mechanic 1 is not that smart after all.

Got a call earlier to say my car will be ready my lunchtime by which i told him to do a few other bits and bobs to which he said okay and i told him not to rush it :) so pick up hopefully between 4-5pm tomorrow!

I hope that makes sense in a very very untechnological (a real word?) way but clearly mechanic 1 is a bell. Can everyone else please put my mind at rest and agree with mechanics 2 and 3 please :) the 'shaft' is meant to move? lol would love to know the actual name of it...

So in other words, he claimed your drive shafts wouldn't rotate and that the gear box was seized. What a tool! He's either a crook and an absolute pillock! Still, I'm glad you're getting it sorted buddy. The car will feel like a new machine with a fresh clutch. I remember when mine was done. The power transfer was so enjoyable having driven a slipping clutch for some time.

I am tempted to get the short shifter now aswell and get mechanic 1 to fit it haha! I might need a new engine next time who knows?!

Will most likely get one and get mechanic 2 to fit it if he does well tomorrow :)!

So i ***ume that made sense to you steve? He said the shaft that the clutch sits on is not meant to move but other mechanics said well if it doesnt move then how does the car move forwards? lol

Can not thank mutley enough and gareth at HH for telling me to get a second opinion. I also got a third lol because im cheeky! Saved me nearly £500

Glad its sorted mate. So I was right on the phone then when I ***umed what he was trying to do with that shaft? What a tool! Glad we had a chat mate now...

Yeah mate I owe you and Gareth a drink when I see you and if I do lol! Thanks again mate and I shall call you from the car today :) hopefully anyways

Hi Guys, very new to this forum (as of 10 mins ago!)

Im having some clutch slipping I guess more i say from 3rd gear, but also getting some issues selecting the gears as smoothly now, reverse goes in with a crunch! (which hurts everytime I do it) but now putting into 1st feel like it goes in with some force.... sometimes its fine

Is this just a clutch issue? or something more?

Thanks!

H