What's new

Full size spare wheel (225/50-17) iDTEC Tourer (How To)

Petercarman

Members
Reaction score
Car
idtec tourer manual
Hi,
I have recently bought my first Honda, a iDTEC Tourer. It came with no spare wheel just a puncture repair kit, which in my opinion is a very poor substitute

I decided to buy a used 225/17-50 wheel and tyre and here is a “how to” for fitting it in place of the repair kit under the floor.

First remove the kit and grey trim panel from beneath the boot floor (I used a large flat blade screwdriver and a pair of pointed nosed pliers for the plastic rivets)

Make a 27” diameter circle from a piece of cardboard to use as a template, place it on the black polystyrene and make a series of holes in the poly around the edge of the cardboard with a small screwdriver.

Join the holes together with a saw (I used a hacksaw blade). This is how it should look.

Next place the grey trim panel on the larger part of the black polystyrene and use this as a template to cut the grey trim (I used scissors and a hacksaw)

IMG_0289_zpsc63pxafo.jpg
[/URL]

IMG_0294_zps8wwnkxzq.jpg

This is the required piece you should finish up with.

IMG_0290_zpstu2ji1cd.jpg

Now fit the smaller piece of polystyrene into the body and secure with Gaffa Tape

IMG_0292_zps4wwyprg1.jpg

Put the modified grey trim in place using the original plastic rivets.

IMG_0295_zpsqqgybv39.jpg

Obtain a short length of M8 threaded rod (the length may depend on the type of wheel) and screw it into the threaded hole in the boot floor. Cut a length of wood about 6-7” and drill a hole in the middle so there is clearance for the rod. You now need a M8 nut and washer.

Place the wheel in position and secure with the wood, washer and nut.

IMG_0293_zpsdddslfuv.jpg

You can now wrap the tools in old towelling and fit them around the “new” spare wheel

IMG_0298_zpswfj0fnwx.jpg

Finally, as you can see, the boot floor closes correctly.

http://s166.photobucket.com/user/pete728/media/IMG_0284_zpsteuiqmnc.jpg.html]
IMG_0284_zpsteuiqmnc.jpg

I understand that a full size spare will only fit under the floor of the Tourer.
If you wish to do this with a Saloon you will require a thinner tyre and wheel.

Great stuff Pete

Great instructions - I did this a few weeks ago. Best tool I found to cut the polystyrene with? The wife's favourite bread knife (I made sure she had gone out first!).

Very nice! I'll have to come visit so you can do mine too ^_^

TourerFan said:
I understand that a full size spare will only fit under the floor of the Tourer.
If you wish to do this with a Saloon you will require a thinner tyre and wheel.
I was enjoying the post until this

Economic said:
I was enjoying the post until this
You have a 7th gen. Maybe a full size spare will fit your saloon?

My 7th gen tourer is very different to the above... No need to make anything or cut anything, a full size wheel fits straight in (once the polystyrene moulding is discarded).

I don't think the OP needed to do that in his 8th gen either, it's a nice cosmetic thing by the looks of it.
If that is a 17" wheel then the boot in the 8th gen Tourer does not look any smaller than the 7th gen, so I'm surprised by everyone saying the 8th gen area isn't as big as the 7th gen Tourer.

freddofrog said:
I don't think the OP needed to do that in his 8th gen either, it's a nice cosmetic thing by the looks of it.
If that is a 17" wheel then the boot in the 8th gen Tourer does not look any smaller than the 7th gen, so I'm surprised by everyone saying the 8th gen area isn't as big as the 7th gen Tourer.
I can't say in terms of cubic inches, but having had both the 8th Gen definitely isn't as practical.

I'm confused why the tray needs to be cut and re-fitted? The spare is hidden by the hinged boot floor. If I ever trade my car in and get rubbish money my undamaged tray and tub of goop are going back in the boot and my full size spare is going on eBay...

http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/topic/19647-8th-gen-tourer-spare-wheel/

The rear section of the tray has two legs that help to support the boot floor either side of the dvd drive for the satnav. They don't look particularly strong but they do make a difference. Likewise with the trim. Putting it back in pushes the boot floor up a couple of mm and keeps it all looking flush.

Great writeup, I just did this in mine I used a 16" steel civic wheel that I already had from my last 7th Gen Tourer.
The standard 205/55/16 is a little small for my 235/45/18 that are stock on the 8th Gen Type S, I will have to fit a 215/60/16 to get the same diameter as the 18" wheel and will have to change the back tyre for the spare and then move the back to the front.
The steel rims only barely cleared the caliper on my last tourer, they definitely won't clear the 320mm discs on the Type S, as a matter of interest I wonder would a stock 17" wheel clear the caliper ?
The only difference I would add is that I kept the rear part of the grey trim and refitted it to where it originally sat, there is a lot of soundproofing in that section and I like the idea of keeping it quiet.

I was just wondering why anyone would like to do this? In my driving experience for the last almost 30 years I can count the times I had to use a spare wheel on the fingers on one hand, and definitely not in the last 15 years. I have had tyre punctures, but they have always been a slow puncture and I have an electric pump in my boot, so no need to change wheels or use the repair kit.

I did it because the last 2 punctures I have had were slashed into the tyre itself, about 50mm long, no compressor or tyre goop will fix that, and I could be waiting a very long time for a recovery service.
You can be lucky but I would rather have a proper spare tyre or at the very least a space saver to get me mobile again.

NO WAY will a 225x50x17 go into that space unless you do as the first op did, just been out and tried it, in fact getting the thin only 50 mph wheel out is a bit of a PITA, and putting it back I advise you offer up the nose then bang the back in. Those interior linings move about a bit as well.

great job, I recently bought an 8th gen tourer and whomever had it in the past did this mod
but left out the insides and I didn't get a genuine Honda wheel either.
Nice to know a full size wheel will fit in there.

When I purchased my Tourer I had a space saver spare fitted by the dealer. The underfloor lining was just discarded and the space saver was secured by using the 'fixing kit', which bolts into the floor bracket. However use of a space saver is not recommended (although not illegal) when towing a caravan and so I subsequently purchased a replacement Accord alloy from a breaker on ebay. This fits so tightly that there is no need to use the securing bolt and it is so close to the boot floor that it provides extra support for heavy loads. It is also quite difficult to get out so I place it face upwards so the spokes are near the surface and easier to grip. This has the added advantage that I can check the pressure without needing to remove the wheel.

I have been fortunate that I have only had one puncture in the last six years and that was a slow one, but I like the reassurance of a full sized wheel so I would be able to continue my journey at normal speeds, especially when towing.

Grandad said:
When I purchased my Tourer I had a space saver spare fitted by the dealer. The underfloor lining was just discarded and the space saver was secured by using the 'fixing kit', which bolts into the floor bracket. However use of a space saver is not recommended (although not illegal) when towing a caravan and so I subsequently purchased a replacement Accord alloy from a breaker on ebay. This fits so tightly that there is no need to use the securing bolt and it is so close to the boot floor that it provides extra support for heavy loads. It is also quite difficult to get out so I place it face upwards so the spokes are near the surface and easier to grip. This has the added advantage that I can check the pressure without needing to remove the wheel.

I have been fortunate that I have only had one puncture in the last six years and that was a slow one, but I like the reassurance of a full sized wheel so I would be able to continue my journey at normal speeds, especially when towing.

Mine has a space saver but even that is a tight fit!! the interior padding appears to be intact but as I am the second owner who knows?? what I do know is a 225x50x17 will not go into that hole.

Hi John.

If anyone is fitting a full sized spare you may as well just remove the underfloor lining as it fits perfectly in the well without the need for the fixing bolt. I put the space saver in my wife's Civic which does require a fixing bolt into a pre-drilled hole in the boot floor, as there is no well to hold it in place.

Whilst I have only used the safety wheel twice in five years (in a Mk7 tourer) I would never buy a car without the provision of a spare.

The last time was a pothole that did not only shred the sidewall of the alloy fitment, but I had to negotiate some 18" of water in the flooded road on the flat for at least half a mile before finding a place to stop and swopout without getting trenchfoot. Luckily the rim survived (thanks Honda- again)

It would have been half a day before I would have got recovery in the area and perhaps three hours to tow then load if I had stopped earlier.

My next purchase for her will be a steel wheel with similar tyre since the emergency spare for the Mk7 is rated at 60psi, which my compressor never gets close to filling (cuts out at 45-48).

By hook or by crook it will fit in the well.

I used a wheel from a Civic. they fit and are almost identical in rolling diameter with a 205/55-16 tyre. On my ATS they have to be fitted to the rear as they won't clear the brakes but perform well on the rear.