What's new

Gears Getting Stuck and Loss of Power

Mistertee

Members
Reaction score
Car
Honda Accord
To add to the problem I posted, I also have had this ongoing problem of gears getting stuck. It has been so over the past few months, and it seems to be getting worse.

It mostly happens when dropping gears from 4th to 3rd, and sometimes 3rd to 2nd, where it gets stuck in gear, i normally let go of the clutch, and press it again, which helps it out of gear. I noticed that when the gear is stuck, and I let go of the clutch, the clutch pedal is stuck and bounces back after a sec.

I have been advised it is the clutch, but replacing the clutch is not cheap, so was wondering if any one else has any similar problem.

ps. I have also noticed a loss in power after 3000rpm in the higher gears, and at one point i lost power from 2000rpm, almost felt like it went in to limp mode. Now I really like the car, and wouldnt mind getting it all fixed up, but if i am looking at spending some serious money, I would rather put it on for sale for cheap and get rid...

any help appreciated...

Why not use the search button and find the answer Tariq, these are questions asked almost every day on here!

Change your fuel filter and renew your clutch fluid, if it won't fix it, it will certainly help.

Nice 1 Fahad, I did roughly browse in the faults section but didnt use the search...

well now after all the reading, looks like my DMF is slipping, but clutch seems ok, would be adviseable to change both, or just the dmf?

Tariq, I wouldn't be so quick to throw money at a clutch and DMF - if your clutch is slipping that's one thing, but if its just hard to change gears then do the easy stuff like gearbox oil (only use Honda MTF3 fluid) and clutch fluid, and then take it from there.

I dont think I have much money to throw at a clutch & DMF just yet anyways, just pretty much emptied my bank account yesterday, CHAPS payment to my solicitors for a house which I am buying...! But gears getting stuck was getting a bit annoying, but after a thorough read through these forums and your excellant advice I now know where I stand...!

So yeh, will get the clutch fluid and gearbox oil changed... Also on my other post I have a squeek problem which I have yet to get diagnosed...!

Picked up Clutch and DMF for £495 and got it booked in Thur to get it fitted, which will be another £150 labour, I'l let you know the results...

Bradford rates mate ;)

I got a mate mehanic who has referred me to a garage... I tell u wot i got a call today asking if i cud drop
Car off, i didnt waste no time... An hour later i get a call saying i also need a crank shaft seal for behin the flywheel, i was lucky Honda dealers had stock, also picked up 3 bottles of mtf3, another £60.
And now sat in my car writing this post.. Car was ready at 6pm, drives excellant, taken it for a test drive, gears are now smooth. When i first sat in it, it felt like a different car all together, after adjustin the seat and steering felt bit better, but defo a different drive... Im a happy man...!

Bloody heck £20 a bottle for MTF3??? Did they lace it with champagne at that price?

Who did the work Tariq?

Fahad, the MTF3 was £35.46 for 3 bottles, and then there was the oil seal for £23.86, the advisor did mentioned she gave me an extra 15% discount..?!

Anyways, got it done from Luqman Autos, just off white abbey road, I had good references from more than a few people, I was a bit worried at first but overall i am pleased with the job and service.

I am just driving it easy now, letting the clutch settle in. Im off to Birmingham tomorrow morning for the weekend, should give it a good test run.

Just gave it a good clean, hoovered it down, wiped down all plastics, leathers, washed, and windows polished... Car feels good again...

I know Luqman, his younger brother Raees was my classmate back in middle school!!

Luqman is a good mechanic actually, and he's a top auto electrician. He did an ICE install in my Astra Coupe about 8 years ago, very professional install. The price for the MTF3 is right, I thought you meant you paid £60 just for that!

Glad you're happy, you've been looked after properly. If you go across the road from there, the LPG and Car wash is a close mate of mine, and the bodyshop next to Luqman's turns out some good quality work if you ever need bodywork doing. That's my old area ;)

My old Golf got stuck in 3rd Gear once. Never came out again :unsure: . Selector fork had snapped and jammed in the mechanism of the gear box. £1K later I had a shiny refurbished gear box. 1 month later my flywheel sheered off. Turns out the garage hadn't fitted it properly, threaded bolts etc, part of it cut through the gear box housing, pretty savage. All fixed under previous repair's warranty. 1 month later, started to hear rattling noises whenever I pressed the clutch. Turned out they'd still not got the gear box 100% correct and it had ruined another clutch. Got it repaired under warranty and then part exchanged the (cursed) Golf for the Honda. After having the Honda a year, it needed a new clutch and flywheel with only 40k on the clock... :unsure:

Oh dear, what's wrong with my left foot... Turns out, I'm just the unluckiest person when it comes to clutches. All things considered that's a great price for the work you've had done mate. Glad you've got it all sorted and you're loving the car once more.

:)

One of my proudest moments was killing a Golf TDi Auto with delivery mileage - in two days.

German engineering at its finest. :lol:

Thats gud to know Fahad, I actually picked up the keys from the car wash, and I dropped him a bag of freshly cooked samosas which I wasnt going to finish... anyways thats good know about the bodywork, cos I need to get some bumper clips, seems to have dropped slightly from near the headlights...

Steve, I am a crazy driver myself... sometimes I cant help but to put my foot down a little every now and then, but since I have been driving (12 years), I never had a clutch go on me... this is the first car that I have had to spend more than £500....! Must have been lucky with cars... Last car was Audi A3, kept it for 4years, loved it... never had to replaced anything big on it, just the usual sensors, tyres, etc but then had to get rid because the 1.8 turbo wasnt economic enough...

Next time u need honda mtf hh is the place £ 22.50 3ltrs delivered next day happy days