What's new

Getting itchy feet

Chriseybaby

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord 2.0 i-Vtec Ex
So I've had the accord a year (a long time for me) it's got lowish mileage, all the toys I need, I own it outright and it has been perfectly reliable....but I've always loved audi's.

I have no good reason to swap it but I've been looking at new shape a4's. My sensible head says keep the accord, the a4 is more likely to have expensive things go wrong but I would love to swap.

Why can I never be happy with what I've got!

ChrisG said:
So I've had the accord a year (a long time for me) it's got lowish mileage, all the toys I need, I own it outright and it has been perfectly reliable....but I've always loved audi's.

I have no good reason to swap it but I've been looking at new shape a4's. My sensible head says keep the accord, the a4 is more likely to have expensive things go wrong but I would love to swap.

Why can I never be happy with what I've got!

Because you didn't get a 2.4 ;)

Just go for it, the a4 is not as bad as you think. Its essentially a VW Passat with a new shell so parts will be the same.

I had a passat tdi sport and was an ok ish car. By far though the most unreliable car I have had. That said not sure if i'd get another.

For me if your going german look at a beemer or merc

It's human nature.

Go for a beemer, a proper drivers car.

For some reason the interiors on the merc or Beemers don't excite me.

Comfort is my key requirement, round the corners doesn't matter too much since I mainly have the kids in the back.

I'm only look at a 2.0 tdi so not exactly upping things in the performance stakes. Saying that I have spotted a 3.0 tdi that's in my price range.

The 3.0 tdis are superb , had an A5 before and it could suprise most things on the road and im including boxters and such like still got around 40mpg too i seriously recommend trying one , they are slightly less powerful in A4 guise but still a beast never the less

Talking of superb cars, look at the new Skoda Superb!

Tuned a brand new one last weekend, had only 250 miles in it from his journey from london where he collected it earlier in the day.

A genuinely impressive car with fantastic fit and finish and quality feel overall

ChrisG said:
For some reason the interiors on the merc or Beemers don't excite me.

Comfort is my key requirement, round the corners doesn't matter too much since I mainly have the kids in the back.

I'm only look at a 2.0 tdi so not exactly upping things in the performance stakes. Saying that I have spotted a 3.0 tdi that's in my price range.
Now you're talking.

I had an a4 tdi for 4 years it was a great car but sounded like a tractor. I don't like Mercedes-Benz interiors much either.

Once you remove the DPF they're pretty reliable

I'm in pretty much the same boat, I get bored easily and this is my second Accord. Though from previous experience I feel that Audis perceived reliable reputation comes from their older cars and the modern ones although nice are no where near as reliable. I'm looking elsewhere

As said before, people think the german stuff is quality because they're sucked in by the interiors and looks, i.e. the things they can see and touch. The important things such as the engine, gearbox etc is where the Japanese tend to invest in and less so on the interiors. So to sum up, german cars are for suckers ;-)

My experience with audis was very good they were extremely reliable I owned 2.Both of which I sold to friends and they are still going strong.

I've had 2 a6's in the past and an a4 all of which have been great. Just concerned with dpfs and my low mileage so would either get it mapped out or go for a 1.8t

If you don't do the miles Chris then go for a petrol turbo, also very tunable cars.

German are good. 5 Series are pretty much the top especially if you want a TD. No one will agree on this but my personal preference would be an Alfa 159. The JTD engine is very reliable and the quality control; manager from BMW was in charge of the 159 production. When Im in the financial position that's what I'll get. I owned a 156 from 30k took it to 183k with not a single issue other than servicing and cleaning egr valve which is easier than on these Hondas. My best mate works for Audi and he said he's lost count of the ECU replacements they have done, along with window regulators, central locking issues and constant eating of bulbs. Just passing his opinion on...With F6HAD on petrol turbo if short journeys.

Well I test drove a 2.0 tdi 140bhp A4 Avant today and was underwhelmed. After being used to a revvy engine in the accord I didn't like the lack of power after 3,500 RPM.

Drove the Accord 40 miles to see the car and 40 miles back, the accord was comfortable and only slightly more road noise. I may have a go in a 1.8 tfsi A4 (or even a V6 tdi in an A6) but I can't really see how I can justify the swap at the moment.

Bloody Accord, you get alot of car for not much money.

When I bought my Accord I was looking at the usual BMW's, A4's etc. But none of them had the spec I wanted for the same cash, or they had mega mileage.

I got my 06 2.4 Type S on 50k 18mths ago for £5250, for the same price you would looking at 3 series and A4's that were 2-3yrs older, double mileage, and basic spec. If you wanted an 06 with the same spec/mileage it was an extra £3k, Accord beat them on all aspects imo.

However, there is a chap at work that has a 09 plate BMW 3 series estate. It's only the 318i, but it's the M Sport with alot of the optional styling extras, it's a very nice looking car and I might be on it when he comes to sell, in terms of spec it's only missing the Satnav from the Accord, but he's been on about installing a double din Satnav system anyway.

****** Accord, you get alot of car for not much money.
So true.
My brother is looking to upgrade his daily driver and it is very hard to beat a 7th gen Accord. You really do get so much car/toys/features for the money.

Id say the BMW. The A4s are really small inside. Like, really small.