What's new

Glow plugs i-CTDi

little

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord i-CTDi
Guys,
Could you tell me how often do we have to change glow plugs in our diesels? I can't find any info in the maintanance schedule. Literally today there was a little problem with starting my car up after whole day at work. The engine had started, but after a couple of secs. I think that old glow plugs may cause a problem. Any ideas?

Bartek, it could actually be a slightly weak battery, not the glow plugs.

I had this recently so I changed the battery at the HH meet last week and it's made the engine start much quicker. Remember the diesel needs a lot of battery charge to crank over.

The other thing to check is your fuel filter. If it's clogged, the glow plug light will flash a few times or continuously if it's bad enough to throw the car into limp mode.

I think your glow plugs are good for upto 150k miles at least, or at least I've never known anyone to change them yet..

Although I remember speaking to Ged at the meet last week, and he said he had to change one.. but it's very rare in my opinion.

O yes ,I had engine mulfinction light on and it was plugs(at least computer tells that),so I had to change them.Was over 100k on a clock.

the length of life I think depends a lot on how the car is used if its a lot of stop start journeys then they're more likely to go home than a car used on long journeys. remember when the light goes out on the dash the glow plugs are working for some considerable time after that. there wont be anything in the maintanance schedule as they're not serviceable items just replace when broken

Bartek, it could actually be a slightly weak battery, not the glow plugs.

I had this recently so I changed the battery at the HH meet last week and it's made the engine start much quicker. Remember the diesel needs a lot of battery charge to crank over.

The other thing to check is your fuel filter. If it's clogged, the glow plug light will flash a few times or continuously if it's bad enough to throw the car into limp mode.

I think your glow plugs are good for upto 150k miles at least, or at least I've never known anyone to change them yet..

Although I remember speaking to Ged at the meet last week, and he said he had to change one.. but it's very rare in my opinion.
I wouldn't say it's a fuell filter, it was changed not even 2k miles ago, together with a chain and injectors. The battery still shows me green, so I wouldn't thought that it's a problem, but who knows? Nothing is flashing on the dash, the glow plugs light comes in for just a moment, after turning the key. The engine starts better if the glow plugs are heated twice, that's why I think it's their fault.
One more question, is the engine mulfunction lamp connected with a plugs failure, in other words, does the show the light when plugs are broken?

Hmm might be one of the plugs then. If it was a very cold evening, that might explain why it took a bit longer for the light to go out. I would expect a plug failure would be picked up with an engine light.

Actually I remember Ged saying that it did on his car.