What's new

Glow plugs, turbo lag and leaking diesel

xtrememetro

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord ctdi
hi in new to this site. i have recently bought a accord 04 cdti tourer and i have a few problems,

1. even when cold the glow plugs dont come on very long and the car will not start unless i give it some throttle
2. massive turbo lag
3. leaking diesel (ive looked at the pump but cannot find where it is leaking from (is there any normal places it might leak seems to come from that area)

i have no idea about these cars as i had a choise between this and a 2000 plate bmw 530d. i chose honda thinking that i would have no problems lol

any help would be greatfully recieved :D

Start with the basics; does it have full service history? What's the mileage? When was it last serviced and who by?

Basically, the Accord diesel is reliable if it's well looked after, so you need to find out if/when the fuel filter was changed and if it wasn't a genuine Honda part then get it changed again! Also that 0w30 oil was used and a genuine Honda oil filter, that kind of thing. Then go from there.

Welcome,

When you say the plugs don't come on very long, do you mean the light on the dash doesn't stay on very long? In that case your glow plugs are absolutely fine..

I have a feeling all 3 of your problems are related and a nice simple fix.

I would suggest someone has made a hash of your fuel filter which would explain the bad starting, lagging feeling and leaking diesel.

Have a look at the pre facelift diesel filter change threads in the DIY section and remove and refit the filter, ensuring you bleed it properly.. if that doesnt' cure it, then look at replacing it... if that doesn't work, then we can look at other causes.

Cheers

Fahad

ok thanks guys, it has a full service history as it was a lease car no idea if it is a honda garage service book says northbank in droitwich, it has 185000 miles on the clock and yes i do mean the light on the dash for the glow plugs.

Agree with the guys^ change your fuel filter for a genuine one. Get it fitted properly and bleed the system of air using the primer bulb. Make sure you use a genuine filter from your local honda dealer. Dont be tempted to save a few quid by going for a copy from your local motor factors, chances are it wont work.

i have ordered a original fuel filter hopefully will get it tomorrow, also i tried to start the car today when it was 10 degrees outside temperature but it would not start like i said before the glow plug light would only come on for about a second is this normal? is there a temp sensor to control the glow plus or does it run from the same one as the temp guage?

Jon, if the car is warm then it's normal for the glow plug light not to stay on long. One second does seem a bit low however and could be indicative of a failing glow plug or glow plug relay.

Are there any other warning lights or an engine diagnostic code you can have read?

I would still replace the filter first and at least eliminate the leak and possibly the hesitation.. then take it from there. If you do end up changing any plugs, my advice would be to change all 4 in a set and only use genuine Honda. There is evidence on this forum to suggest that this engine does not like aftermarket plugs.

the car was cold, i will replace the glow plugs to see if it makes a difference. there are no other warning lights that stay on, i do not have a code reader

Don't think your problems are to do with the glowplugs. If you're leaking diesel, you're going to have problems starting. Because if the diesel is getting out, air is getting in. That's why when you give it some throttle it fires up, because you pull more fuel through and clear the air. If it was glowplugs the throttle wouldn't make any difference.

:huh: John, get the fuel filter sorted first as the others have said then........

I know this sounds basic and i apologise if i am teaching your granny to suck eggs but......there is a right way and a wrong way to start your car, my mate had a similar problem and his is a 56 saloon.

1. turn on ignition(first stage)
2. Wait for glow plug light to go out(will take slightly longer the colder it is)
3. Press and hold clutch pedal.
4. Crank car without touching the gas pedal.

It should turn over a few cycles before firing.

Mate was just jumping in and turning it over and booting the gas and was having all sorts of starting issues!!.

Im not 100% sure with Hondas only been an owner myself for a month or so, but on the Fords the act of pressing the clutch set the amount of choke needed to run the car.

Im not 100% sure with Hondas only been an owner myself for a month or so, but on the Fords the act of pressing the clutch set the amount of choke needed to run the car.
Ooh would be interested for other opinions on this, I never clutch when I start the car (just make sure it's not in gear obviously! :D ).

Putting the clutch in before starting is good practise on all cars, as it removes some load from the engine on start up. As for the glowplugs I always just jump in and start. I never wait for the light to go out, apart from in winter. Don't have to give it any throttle, just occasionally when the engines warm.

the light does the same wether the car is hot or cold. if the glow plugs are controlled by a termostat then i would change that but as i dont know if it has a seperate one just for the plugs i have to start with changing the glow plugs, the car makes no difference weather i use the accelerator or not or the clutch or not. still pants lol

Does the car smoke alot on start up from cold? Normally when a glowplug isn't working properly you will get a lot of smoke on startup, because the combustion isn't complete. The smoke disappears quickly though, because once the engine fires up its hot enough.
You could try turning the ignition on until the glowplugs light goes out, and then turn the ignition off and on again, wait for the light to go and try starting then. Just to see if it makes any difference.
It would be strange for all the glowplugs to be knackered at the same time.

Jon, I've just been out to my car and my glowplug light only comes on for a second too. Have you fixed the leak? If not I still thInk air in the fuel system is causing your problems.

Welcome along Jon,

Just going back to basics on this.

How do you know it is leaking diesel, is it by seeing diesel on the floor or just smell?

going off what has been said so far, you need to examine the fuel filter, ideally for the cost change it and rule it out. Either way take the air box out to give you better access, then feel around the filter for diesel residue, check the pipes in and out of the filter.

Best to rule out the filter before going any further.

yeah there is diesel on the floor and you can smell it. i have a feeling i might also have a cracked manifold as i have looked on this site and found that it is common, has a strange 'put put' sound but it is hard to hear. i have had loads of diesels before i know when they get worn i used to put the glow plugs on and off a few times, but in this car it does not work. while im changing the glowplugs i will test for 12v to make sure relay is working properly. i have had smoke coming out from the bonnet before and smells like burning diesel. so i ***ume that its leaking onto the manifold/downpipe. i have read somewhere about changing a filter in the small black canister things, could you tell me what they are and how much new ones would cost as ive taken one appart and its well mankey lol. i will be doing the fuel filter tomorrow after work hopefully i wont kill it

yeah there is diesel on the floor and you can smell it. i have a feeling i might also have a cracked manifold as i have looked on this site and found that it is common, has a strange 'put put' sound but it is hard to hear. i have had loads of diesels before i know when they get worn i used to put the glow plugs on and off a few times, but in this car it does not work. while im changing the glowplugs i will test for 12v to make sure relay is working properly. i have had smoke coming out from the bonnet before and smells like burning diesel. so i ***ume that its leaking onto the manifold/downpipe. i have read somewhere about changing a filter in the small black canister things, could you tell me what they are and how much new ones would cost as ive taken one appart and its well mankey lol. i will be doing the fuel filter tomorrow after work hopefully i wont kill it

Should be fine doing the fuel filter, just make sure you can undo the bolts on the carrier first, as that's the hardest part.

in respect of the filter in small black cannister things, is this towards the front of the engine or over at the side near the air box ? It sounds like the you are referring to the filter on the IMRC solenoid which is mentioned in this thread Slight Missing

i have found the leak it is comming from one of the injectors. some idiot before has cracked the retaining clamp for the injector and now its shooting diesel and fumes every where i really could do with some help as i need this car to get to work as it is now useless. also i think there is no seal on the bottom of the injector.

i have found the leak it is comming from one of the injectors. some idiot before has cracked the retaining clamp for the injector and now its shooting diesel and fumes every where i really could do with some help as i need this car to get to work as it is now useless. also i think there is no seal on the bottom of the injector.

Have a look at the pictures in this thread where would you say it is cracked ?

Leaky injector

Do you think you need a new injector ?

could you possibly post up a pic / video?