What's new

headlight motor not working - self levelling

noely02

Members
Reaction score
Car
1.8 vtec sport
hi,

noticed this morning that only 1 of my headlights moves when i use the adjuster switch inside the car, (was bored in traffic and started playing with the switch :) )

anyone had the same thing happen and how they solve it before i brake out the large hammer and wd40?

The headlamp adjusters seize, and they're a slightly pain in the back side to sort. To remove them, the headlight needs to come out. They cost about £140 too. I tried to de-seize the one of mine that was stuck, but it didn't work. Out of curiosity, is it the near side (passenger side)?

yep passenger side

well getting the headlight out isn't a problem, after the fun and games i've had with the car over the years i can get the bumper off in 5 mins :))

I have a theory that heat from the battery causes premature seizing of this part in question.

before i look into replacing the headlight, i will have a go at repairing it myself, any tips?

Don't need to replace the headlight, just the adjuster. Pop the headlight out and there's a chunky plastic thing that will turn a quarter turn and should just slot out with a little wiggle. Fully extend the white plastic bit on the replacement, slot it in tilted with the white bit down a little and slot it upwards. You should feel it click into place. Then lock the part in place, plug the electrical connector back in and check it works. The part you need to replace is part 13 on this diagram:

http://www.lingshondaparts.com/honda_car_parts_selection_pfk.php?block_01=17SED01&block_02=B__0800&block_03=445

It looks like this:

2014-05-10230304_zpsdd1cba3c.jpg

cheers, so its the motor thats more likely to be shot not the actual adjuster mechanism in the headlight?

£151!! eeep!

well if i'm not too full of the Christmas spirit while i'm off i'll have a look at that.

Ah man! Just realised this is for 6th gen. Whoops. I imagine the principles are the same, but you may want to double check stuff as the parts may be different.

finally had a go at the headlight, tried to get the motor unit off but it wouldn't budge, the ball wouldn't come out of the socket, i was afraid of breaking something so i decided to prise off the cover, which was quite easy surprisingly.

here's what i found:

20150105_101213_zpsfa3eced6.jpg

20150105_101021_zps8a002413.jpg

so a clean up with some contact cleaner and lets see if it works

Remember to try the scrappies if you do need to replace it.