What's new

Headlight removal and part of the bumper

Mr CL7

Members
Reaction score
Car
2.0 petrol CL7
I don't know if anybody has attempted this yet but here is my guide.

Tools required

gloves
star head screw driver
flat head screw driver
wrench with extender
10mm socket
nose pliers

Red circles are areas you need to work in.

One thing that most of you may suffer from is the plastic clips breaking which hold down the slam panel. When you try to prize them up and away with a flat head screw driver they become brittle and break. I know of an Ebay contact who sells similar clips that are a lot cheaper than paying dealer prices. I have bought some. Msg me for the Ebay seller.

Right here we go...
IMG_0188.jpg

IMG_0191.jpg

IMG_0192.jpg

IMG_0193.jpg

Gently prize corner of bumper towards you on both sides. One this is done gently pull down and prize away the bumper. This is what it will look like

IMG_0194.jpg

IMG_0195.jpg

IMG_0196.jpg

Pull the plastic up and towards the left to expose the star screw
IMG_0198.jpg

This can be a little tricky as the bolt is situated underneath the headlight connected to the body frame, be careful not to drop your socket here!

IMG_0197.jpg

One this has been done gently pull the headlamp towards you and disconnect the main beam, high beam, indicator, dipped light connectors from the back it is self explanatory really. You may need to use the nose pliers to push down on some connectors then pull with your hands.

IMG_0199.jpg

It took me about an hour and a half to remove headlight, part of the bumper and put the new headlight in.

I have done it since then and i can get the whole job done in about an hour.

Hope this write up helps

Faz

Nice one mate... thanks for the excellent pics!

nice write up and good pics thanks mate

now get in there where the headlight was and give it a good clean up B)

Nice write up m8 :lol:

Took me about an hour, but I removed the under tray to, I wished I had not due to most of the bolts being very corroded

Nice one Faz,

Probably took longer writing it up and put all the red circles on!!

Great job

Brilliant, thanks. I'm fitting HIDs at the weekend and need to take off the bumper.

Is it the same for the facelift model?

Great write up I fully removed the bumper which meant undoing more screws and clips underneath. This will save time and reduce risk of scratched etc. Thumbs up from me!

Just came across this nice write up and great pics cheers, I may have to do this if I want to get the loose sidelight bulb out of my O/S head lamp!!

Just came across this nice write up and great pics cheers, I may have to do this if I want to get the loose sidelight bulb out of my O/S head lamp!!
Paul mate haven't you done that yet its been in there over a year now :lol:

Na didn't want the hassle of removing the bumper cos it's the only way of getting the lights out but now I know it can be done without removing the whole bumper I might have ago.

Just spent the morning doing this as Passenger side headlight was misting up. I have to get it replaced as there is a crack in it. Anyway I tapped it up for now. I did notice that i have some missing bolts that hold up the under tray.

Anyone know where I can get some replacement?

Just spent the morning doing this as Passenger side headlight was misting up. I have to get it replaced as there is a crack in it. Anyway I tapped it up for now. I did notice that i have some missing bolts that hold up the under tray.

Anyone know where I can get some replacement?
Gurpal introduce yourself fella in the newbies section

I don't know if anybody has attempted this yet but here is my guide.

Right here we go...

This can be a little tricky as the bolt is situated underneath the headlight connected to the body frame, be careful not to drop your socket here!

IMG_0197.jpg

Hope this write up helps

Faz

Many thanks Faz for taking the time to write this up it inspired me to "have a go this afternoon" getting oh so near yet so far to completing the task.

Unfortunately for me I came unstuck trying to find this mysterious fourth bolt that holds the headlamp ***embly in place ? I am working on an 06 facelift diesel sport and everything was the same up to this point so ***ume that fourth bolt is there somewhere but where exactly ?!

My problem in trying to install HID's is on the driver's side which is something of a pain in the *** and I can't get it done without removing the headlamp.

Any further help welcome in how I can find / access this bolt (tried lying on my back under car but couldn't see it).

Cheers

Fraser

Any further help welcome in how I can find / access this bolt (tried lying on my back under car but couldn't see it).

Cheers

Fraser

Ahhh... this is hidden I suppose. It is just directly under the headlamp, but not bolted directly into the headlamp. Instead the headlamp sits on a metal frame that it is bolted to and that is then bolted into the chassis. The "4th" bolt doesn't directly bolt into the headlight.

If you look at the headlamp straight-on, this bolt is just the "full-beam" bulb housing, outside the case. You'll see a bolt going directly into the chassis - this holds the frame that the lamp is attached to.

<edit> I've modified the OPs last photo to show where the frame bolts in - I hope Faz doesn't mind!

Remove this bolt first, then the frame, then the final bolt for the headlamp.

IMG_0199.jpg

Ahhh... this is hidden I suppose. It is just directly under the headlamp, but not bolted directly into the headlamp. Instead the headlamp sits on a metal frame that it is bolted to and that is then bolted into the chassis. The "4th" bolt doesn't directly bolt into the headlight.

If you look at the headlamp straight-on, this bolt is just the "full-beam" bulb housing, outside the case. You'll see a bolt going directly into the chassis - this holds the frame that the lamp is attached to.

<edit> I've modified the OPs last photo to show where the frame bolts in - I hope Faz doesn't mind!

Remove this bolt first, then the frame, then the final bolt for the headlamp.

IMG_0199.jpg

Many thanks for the reply Jayok I'll have another look and let you know how I get on (will probably be next weekend now).

PS. Wouldn't access to a Honda Accord parts micro fiche be useful do you know if there is any such thing available (I have online access to one when working on my bike which makes it a lot easier to understand how it is put together) ?

Cheers

Fraser

Many thanks for the reply Jayok I'll have another look and let you know how I get on (will probably be next weekend now).

PS. Wouldn't access to a Honda Accord parts micro fiche be useful do you know if there is any such thing available (I have online access to one when working on my bike which makes it a lot easier to understand how it is put together) ?

Cheers

Fraser

No problem.

Re the microfiche, most people on here use Lings Website to determine parts. For example, here's the link for my Accord

My Accord

Is this any different if you have headlamp washers and fogs? Only I'm trying to this right now and can't get it prize away from the clips around the bottom of the headlamps. Am I being too gentle, or is there more to do with as I have headlamp washers and fog lights?

There's no difference mate just pull out the bumper from clips under headlight

Yeah, all done. I was just being too gentle with her instead of showing her who's the Daddy ;) . All I will say for anyone with fogs is once it's removed, obviously you need to unclip the fog light cabling. If you've got washers too, you can unclip the fog lights and there is enough play in the hoses to lower the bumper to ground. Just don't go pulling on it otherwise you could end up damaging the hoses or something. But this is all obvious stuff really I'm sure you would all consider anyway.

Thanks for this guide though, made a potentially daunting job very nice and simple. Did it by the roadside outside my flat no worries (had to replace part of my headlamp and couldn't do it with out removing the headlamp). Thanks all.

:)

Cheers for the instruction, would have taken me hours to find that 4th bolt otherwise. Much appreciated. Now to replace all the little brittle plastic "bolts" that I managed to break.....

Any one know a good supplier?

Once again, thanks!

Now to replace all the little brittle plastic "bolts" that I managed to break.....

Any one know a good supplier?

Once again, thanks!

Flea-bay... seriously, you'll get 25 for £5 or something like that.

Excellent post. It gave me the confidence to attempt the job myself and all went smoothly. Bob.