What's new

Hello all - I now own a 7th Gen Accord Type S Tourer! Some Q's

danlightbulb

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord S Tourer
Hi everyone,

I want to introduce myself and say hello, and I have a couple of questions also.

I picked up my 2003 Accord today. Type S Tourer. Lovely drive back, very smooth. I'll try and take some photos of it in the morning when its light.

It has done 132,000 miles but with a full service history and lots of receipts for stuff.

There is a few things I want to ask about but first I really need to ask about the gearbox. I didn't identify any issues on the long test drive I had, but today on the drive home I've noticed a couple of things.

Firstly, on coming to a halt it is a bit tight to get back into first gear. Lifting the clutch pedal up and back down lets me slip into first ok then.

Secondly, I am getting a crunch in engaging reverse. I am making sure the car is stopped properly.

I have looked through the service book and receipts and although the stamps are all there, and many of them Honda dealer stamps, I cannot see any evidence of a transmission fluid change. Could this be the problem?

Thanks

Welcome along. Ok, the first gear thing, it doesn't sound that unusual, but given you've got crunching too, I'd definitely get a fluid change done. It won't cost much and if the problems persist, you know something else is at fault.

Its probably due. I notice the service book put a tranmission fluid change at around 75k miles I think. Can you tell me what the right fluid is to use? Do I need to get it from Honda or will the fluid listed for the model on eurocarparts do? http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/Honda_Accord_2.4_2003/p/car-parts/car-transmission/transmission-parts/transmission-oils/?522771222&1&c7a7316a9ad1207fd3b650892785c77bc32559ed&000769 I'd like to do it at the independant ive used for a while but might supply the fluid myself to guarantee they use the right stuff.

While its in I'll get an oil change too. The service book seems to suggest a wide range of oils are suitable. Any recommendations?

Great choice of car, hope you have many miles of fun motoring in your type S. Might be worth going through the service history to find out what needs doing and get the work done. A change of all the major fluids wouldn't be a miss. My accord type S has just turned 137k and is still running smoothly. I've changed engine oil to the Shell Helix 10W40 which has been on offer at Euro carports at £20 for 5L. Appears to be very good so far.

welcome

best gearbox oil you can use is honda mtf3 costs around £20.i change the gearbox oil every 12-18months as it makes a big improvment and is cheap.you can change the gearbox oil yourself.

also check service histroy.for a clutch change.is your clutch pedal heavy/hard?it should be light as a feather.both my accords have needed a new clutch's around 80k miles.

engine oil i use fuch's ***an race 5-40w with sinergy hamp oil filters as they increase oil pressure

I wouldnt say the clutch is heavy but i have nothing to compare it to. Its not slipping at all. There is no receipt for that though. It is a shorter travel than my previous car.

Honda mtf3 something i can get from any honda dealer parts desk? Not sure about changing it myself though i have no way of getting under the car at the moment.

Id really like to give this a go myself now. Can anyone tell me what replacement washers i need please?

Also thinking of getting the haynes manual for this car. Anyone verify its a good buy and useful for the novice diyer?

That's for the US Accord, a different beast with v6 engine to boot!!

Contact Honda Holdcroft and say your're a member here to avail of discount, they'll sort you out for whatever's needed.

Thanks.

Just a quick one on forum etiquette. Is it ok that i continue to use this thread to ask my questions or shall i start a new thread for each topic? I want to ask about several other things over the coming days including headlights, rust, HID conversion.

Keep going I suppose, but you might get a better response from a new thread, it's up to you really. Also don't forget to use the search function as more often the same same questions have been asked.

Well ive ordered my gearbox oil and 2 washers from Holdcroft Honda only came to about £18 including delivery and be here by friday. Amazing service, very impressed.

Sorry no photos yet, bit tricky at night. Its bright blue!

Ive found that shifting into first and then into reverse eliminates the crunch (as the manual says!). Never had to do that before though. Its still a little notchy in the gearbox though. Also I think the clutch pedal itself has a bit of wear to it. It makes a bit of a creak/click as I depress it. Anything to worry about?

Hi and welcome to the forum,

Would definately recommend an oil chang of transmission fluid, do not trust any service history it could have been ticked and not done, no pun intended but have seen some dealerships do this.
With regards to clutch noise its coming from the master cyclinder you can try the method below
http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/topic/12077-clicking-clutch-pedal/

Failing that a replacement clutch master cyclinder will eliminate all noises.No need to worry about noise my clutch is noisy but can engage all gears perferctly.

Thanks. Gearbox oil change booked in for next week, and will try the greasing the clutch pedal trick too. May be back if still getting a stiff gearbox after this.

Can I ask about the headlights please.

Firstly, the plastic is quite clouded and spotted. Ive read a couple of headlight restoration guides. One even suggested using toothpaste on it? Anyone got any recommendations for best way to get them looking like new?

And secondly I am wondering whether I can retrofit some brighter headlights and what the options are? Ive seen a few posts about HIDs or LEDs but I don't know how easy these replacements are and which is the best option. Can anyone provide a basic beginners guide? I had HIDs on my old car and did like the brightness and colour.

Take a look at Meg's headlight restoration kit. That's what I'll be using on mine.

If u not going to use UV filters wax etc then after any kit you would get discolouration. It is not only about cleaning it bur also you need to take car after

Here is my car:
16knc52.jpg

Headlights need to be restored. Nice little project for when I get a free Sunday.
2v0h2pt.jpg

There is some rust on the rear arches. This is the better side:
5d1848.jpg

And this is the worse side:
rj1c1f.jpg

I guess the blue Type S Tourers are made only 2003 and 2004. I haven't seen a newer than 2004 with this color and Type s trim (mine is also 2003, same color).
Mine was also starting to rot on the rear left arch. Before the winter there were only a few bubbles and surface rust. For about three months, there were holes, just like yours.
You should definitely fix them before it goes bad (and ugly) and before winter! Unfortunately, the only way is cutting the arch and welding it with new piece of metal.