What's new

Here's anew one on me.....

John M.

Members
Reaction score
Car
6th Gen. 1.8iS
Ever since owing this 6th Gen I've had problem with rain water always coming in thru the drivers window when open a couple of inches but only when I use the wipers. It soaks the the electric window switches and armrest area. Fair enough you might say as what should I expect - window open, raining and wipers on. Thing is after a few initial wipes, no more rain all over the switches even though it's still raining . What is annoying me more so is, I never had this problem with my last 6th Gen (admittedly it was only a year old then). Have I got the incorrect wiper blade fitted, a slightly bent wiper arm or is something else causing this pain in the *** problem?

Hello mate. So let me get this right. When the wipers are on the water is being pushed too much towards the drivers side when they are up meaning you think the blades or arm is located wrong slightly?

It could be these blades are better?

Yeah, on the first few sweeps of the wiper blade, just wondering would something like a slightly twisted arm be the cause? At the end of the day it's not a major problem as I can fit a wind deflector but what's happening now ain't right and I can't actually see what causing it.

It does it with mine too.

I just presumed it was the initial volume of water that it was moving to the top of the windscreen causing it to slip over the A pillar when driving. I just thought it was an idiosyncrasy of the 6th gen? The wipers I'm using are 22/19.

Andy, yours too? Well, that's sort of good to know at least it means there is nothing as such nothing wrong with my car, just a design flaw - fcuking really annoying all the same. I'll just get a wind deflector so & leave it at that. Cheers.

Aye only when driving...if you keep your window closed you'll probably see the water stream across it. Once its cleared its first few sweeps it seems to go away.

Oh, yeah Andy. If the window is kept closed the rain water does indeed stream across it. Now where to buy a wind deflector (never, ever fitted one to any of my motors), any recommendations as there is two types I understand, clip in and bonded?

Mine does it with pass and drivers. I soaked my little girl washing the windscreen with her window open lol

Wind deflectors FTW! :lol:

I'm moved entirely over to the electric cigarettes now, but I found the wind deflectors did make it better for smoking with the window a little open and not getting rained on. That said, my wipers weren't going past the A pillar and chucking water my way :lol: .

Mine does this too. I've got new wiper motors, blades etc in so I think it's just one of those things with the 6th.

Best advice is get some wind deflectors that'll solve the problem.

Yeah, I ordered a front set Simon, not getting caught this winter. They might look a bit naff once fitted, but hell it will be worth it. The problem is a bit odd all the same, as I mentioned earlier I bought a ten month old 6th Gen back in 2001 and never recall having this issue.

Never noticed this, might need to try mine out for a mini shower. I plan on rainx-ing my windows so that should make de-raining much better.

Which wax/polish do you use on the car? Instead of spending more money on more products buy a little bottle of MER wax of you haven't got any and use that.

+1 for Mer. That stuff is awesome!

Only use it on your car every 6 months or so as its slightly abrasive.