What's new

HID kit installation

Timmyboy

Members
Reaction score
Car
2008 Accord CTDI EX
Hi folks,

I've just bought a slim HID kit as the lights on my Accord drive me nuts.

It's a 2008 7th gen diesel saloon. I've seen a couple of HID installation guides on this site but one mentions removing the front bumper whereas the other installed into the headlight itself - which seems a much easier option for my limited DIY skills!

Can someone point me in the right direction please? Alternatively I'm happy to give someone who has done this before some cash to fit as long as you're reasonable close to the Bristol area.

Cheers,

Tim.

I'm 45 mins from Bristol but wouldn't want to put my hands through the pain again lol. I fitted a set yesterday to my diesel, it took around an hour (inc side lights) so not to bad :ph34r:

Passenger side with the battery removed was simple. Drivers side with screen washer neck removed was a pain (literally).

There is a good guide on here somewhere...

I tried to do it without removing the battery, forget it. I don't have a slim ballast so it's going on the suspension mounts. And I'm taking it to my local garage. :D

I've found 2 guides, both look helpful with pictures etc. but very different methods. (inside headlight here, bumper off here)

A few posts suggest the diesel engine bay is more crowded but if you managed it @kenich then I'll give it a shot - I do have large hands unfortunately!

I won't have any time for a couple of weeks so if someone wants to take up my cash offer give me a shout :)

I've just seen Premier do mobile tuning, hmmm - could combine the 2. Decisions...

Dude the best way is bumper off and fit the ballasts under the headlamps. That way they are hidden and fitted in the OEM way. However your choice.
If you was close I would fit them for you
BTW not as hard as you think

Yep - what TypeR said. Nice and neat.

Dropping the bumper is a bit fiddly but not difficult.

Quick update on this - I bought the 'terminator' kit from hids-direct.co.uk and fitted it successfully yesterday.

I went for the 'in the light surround' option in the end having poked all the kit inside and concluding it would fit - if I get any trouble due to heat build up etc. then I might reverse that decision.

Fitting wasn't too bad - attempted the near side first so battery out, that went quite well - the only slight issue is that the black wire comes with a small male spade connector whereas the receiving black wire on the car is large - so I cut them both off and fixed them together with insulating tape, not ideal but should be fine.

The off side as everybody has said is far more difficult (on the diesel at least) due to restricted access. As per the guide, take the funnel of the screen washer fluid and push the next of the tube to one side frees up your working space, the only real trouble I had was removing the black wire spade connector from the headlight housing as my big hands just could not get any purchase to apply any force. Eventually just stuck a long flat bladed screwdriver in an pushed it off that way.

Both lights worked fine and a quick test drive last night show it was well worth the fitting and cost - far, far better than the standard lights and no-one flashed me albeit it was a short drive. And yes my hands were red and sore last night :)

Thanks for the input and for the original guides I looked at - highly recommended mod.

Happy days on not getting flashed on your night time drive. I have not had any issues so far this week after giving the HIDs a fair old work out.

the only real trouble I had was removing the black wire spade connector from the headlight housing as my big hands just could not get any purchase to apply any force.

I had the same happen to me last week, managed to get a small set of long nose pilers in there somehow lol.

After consulting these forums I purchased a 35W 6000K HID kit with slim ballasts. I loosened the top of the bumper to remove the light units and hid the actual HID kit inside the light behind the cover. I tried to tape the ballasts and ignitors in but wasn't much room with the silicone bags ect in there. When I pushed all of the and ballasts and ignitors in there was no movement at all anyway, so no tape was used. Whole process took about 45 mins. Was simple, thank god. Im quite mechanically minded but really hate electrics.
Just one question, would I be safer getting the lights re-aligned again? The near side seems quite high and the car needs MOT'd in January. Any one in northern Ireland MOT their cars with HIDs fitted? I've an exec model, so hoping that i'll be fine with them in as ive headlight washers

Can't comment on tests in Ireland, but mine went through the MOT a few weeks ago after fitting the HIDs without issue.

Only pre facelift 2.4 petrol exec had factory hid.

I got my lights realigned by a garage and the two guys who own the business said that I should have no issue with my HID's for the MOT as I have light washers fitted, and as long as they work ill be fine. Over here in Northern Ireland we cant go to any private garage for MOT's. We have to go to government ran centres, and you know that any excuse they will fail your so they ccan charge for a retest.
Here's another issues guys, I am completely and utterly pi**ed off with the screen wash jets. They are woeful. A small fly could provide a stream of p*ss with more flow that the screen wash jets. They are constantly blocking up, although the headlight washers seem fine. Just wondering how hard is it to remove the washer bottle, as it must be full of *****. The main reason I ask is that I am afraid of my headlight washers blocking up, as I suspect their jets would be hard to take off and clean (bumper removal) and if they need replaced, extremely costly. With my HID's, and impending MOT they need to work

As long as what's fitted works, you're ok. If you do not have washers or self levelling, HIDs are ok I think. If you have either or both, they must work. My self levelling is not properly working and it caused me issues at the last MOT. If the self levelling wasn't fitted, it would have past :rolleyes: !

Headlight washer motor isn't extremely expensive. It's only one motor instead of two, and it's £33 or something for the motor itself. I put headlight washers on my Civic EP, and for the whole lot (motor, hoses, nozzles, bumper covers in color was like £75)
So no worries about big bucks ;)

aye, window washer jets on the accord are a bit rubbish, i got new nozzels last year, even now with the new jets they are not mind blowing.

they squirt too low down and i dont want to get messing around with them so just leave them is

but on the other hand the headlight washers are so good the almost double up as window washers...

:lol:

Yep, the headlight washers can almost clean the roof, they're awesome! :lol:

MOT and passed yesterday, HID's and all. Only thing ive replaced on car in its 88K life was 2 antiroll bar drop arms.

Just a quick question guys... I have a 2004 Honda Accord Exec 2.4 auto with Xenon headlights as standard, O/S main beam is faulty, maybe ballast or ignitor faulty as it gives of a burning smoke and smell when lights are on, at the moment removed fuse to remove risk of fire or further damage, due to matter of cost and unable to find replacement parts I.E ignitor and Ballast at a good affordable price, would it be wise and possible to remove the faulty parts and replace with a HID conversion kit as already mention in previous posts? Quick response would be greatly appreciated guys.