What's new

Highest Mileage

Freddie

Members
Reaction score
Car
Honda Accord
Whose got the highest mileage Accord?
Mines got 68000 miles on the clock and has only just run in!

Thought I'd resurrect a thread as some of our cars will be cracking on a bit now.

172k Chassis and gearbox - 2004 EX Touring (5MT)
117k Civic N22A2 Engine and turbo (original had a snapped pump chain at 148k)

Still rust free, still drives nicely.

152k diesel facelift. Original gearbox engine clutch flywheel turbo etc

I had a friend in the Southern California who had a '93 2.2 saloon that had done over 200k. She had the oil changed at every 6k and and it was still superb after 15 years. Unfortunately it was stolen.

Regular oil changes make a massive difference

sent using tapatalk

honda_saj said:
Regular oil changes make a massive difference

sent using tapatalk
Yes I have to agree with you about religiously changing the oil (with good quality oil as Jan Accord states).

She did claim that she had never had to buy a ****ler (silencer) and it was still on the original. I must admit I was incredulous about that and questioned her about it, she was adamant it was the original. Even with the dry desert like environment she lived in surely the result of combustion would have eaten the exhaust from the inside out ?

Desert or not...Usualy this is caused mainly because short trips, and with this you get the "condensing" efect.
With short trips you don't dry the inerior of the exhaust system so the water is acumulating in it

accordperson said:
Yes I have to agree with you about religiously changing the oil (with good quality oil as Jan Accord states).

She did claim that she had never had to buy a ****ler (silencer) and it was still on the original. I must admit I was incredulous about that and questioned her about it, she was adamant it was the original. Even with the dry desert like environment she lived in surely the result of combustion would have eaten the exhaust from the inside out ?
Great points

sent using tapatalk

2.2 with 154k. Engine sounded lovely from cold which is why I bought it at 150k, Changed oil/filter straight after.

Being a diesel I would expect it to do at least a quarter of a million miles which is what a number of my previous vehicles have done.

Jan Accord said:
Desert or not...Usualy this is caused mainly because short trips, and with this you get the "condensing" efect.
With short trips you don't dry the inerior of the exhaust system so the water is acumulating in it
I understand that fuel is slightly adjusted according to region to help cold starting in colder climates etc. Maybe these additives also have an effect on rust being caused ?

accordperson said:
I understand that fuel is slightly adjusted according to region to help cold starting in colder climates etc. Maybe these additives also have an effect on rust being caused ?
No

The wife's 01 civic is somehow still on its original exhaust after 115k miles and 17 years as far as I'm aware. (I bought the car at 35k)
It's still in good condition, and only I've maintained the car the 9 or so years we've owned it.
It gets used 4 or 5 times a week, but rarely does more than 10 miles at a time.

The heat shields for the cat only managed 100k though. Maybe they offered themselves as a sacrifice to the rest of the system?

It's an enigma. All its had apart from pads discs and service items in that time, is 3 drop links and a cam position sensor.
Still drives tight too.

As far as my newer honda's are concerned,they don't make 'em like they used to.

I have a Revere in the garden with a clock mileage of 223k miles and have seen a few with upwards of 310k with little more than a full oil change / filter every week on the courier circuit. A bit later than my time, I ran two Hondas (CD175 and 400/4), racking up just under 140k between the two, inside four years.

Frequent oil changes are essential (once a week with the 400, the CD needed new top end caps every four months owing to non replaceable bearing parts), but doing so will almost always work out the best way for a long engine life.

I'm not one that believes in 'modern' extended service intervals despite the advent of synthetics, dirt/contamination/water gets in somehow, no matter what the oil.

That's pretty mad. Is that the same as a Bros? Is it the 400 or the 650?

About 10 years back I changed to only commuting the 9 good months of the the year.

Of course taking in a 2 year old bike for p/x with 30-odd k on the clock still raises eyebrows in the dealership. Nobody rides them any more.

Channel Hopper said:
, I ran two Hondas (CD175 and 400/4), racking up just under 140k between the two, inside four years.

Frequent oil changes are essential (once a week with the 400, the CD needed new top end caps every four months owing to non replaceable bearing parts), but doing so will almost always work out the best way for a long engine life.
On the other end of the scale I had a friend with a dealership who earned a good living supplying couriers with MZs. Who would run them into the ground and buy a new one.

Goodluckmonkey said:
That's pretty mad. Is that the same as a Bros? Is it the 400 or the 650?

About 10 years back I changed to only commuting the 9 good months of the the year.

Of course taking in a 2 year old bike for p/x with 30-odd k on the clock still raises eyebrows in the dealership. Nobody rides them any more.

Apologies, missed this.

The Revere is the 650 mono shaft drive, though there is the earlier 600 cc engine that is virtually identical. The Bros is chain drive and it is possible to fit the 750 from the Africa twin straight in. Early Deauvilles shared almost all parts. All have three valves per cylinder.

The 750 cams though fit straight into the 650 head and by using the clutch gear reduction from the 600 engine you can get some silly acceleration from what is a run of the mill dispatch/commuter bike with no disadvantages that I can think of.

It is the only shaft drive bike I've had running (I have a Guzzi 500 MkIII which will take some work to get her roadworthy), but to be honest, there is little difference in handling, except the rear end rises as the clutch is let out.

Last edited:
2007 Accord type s with 176000 miles [emoji85][emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

154000 2.2 tourer.

I bought a 1998 land rover discovery years ago that had 225000 on it when the speedo cable died. I didn't fix that and knowing the mileage I did, it might have hit 240000 at a rough guess. My friend still has it but it's just stood, reminissing about the times it took us around Europe :)

My tourer might beat it though!