What's new

Honda Accord 2.2 i-CDTI ABS, VSA, VSA ACTIVATION AND HANDBRAKE (BRAKE SYSTEM LIGHT) ON AFTER ABS SEN

SOLIDSNAKE

Members
Reaction score
Car
HONDA ACCORD ES-GT
Hi everybody, just want to introduce myself as Rob, I have a 2004 Honda Accord CN1 and am having an array of issues with it. Let me explain when this began.

I bought this car back 2 years ago from Copart with CAT-D rear end damage which was not a problem for me, It had rear N/S damage but otherwise was unaffected.

As soon as I returned to London I did a full service, with all genuine honda parts and oil change. The car ran fine for a year (I had also completed an oil change after 6 months of owning the car), I had just serviced the car in Febuary this year and had a Car accident in the first week of March this year. Since then I have had so many issues.

From the top. I have had the ABS VSA AND VSA ACTIVATION LAMPS ON THE DASH - I remedied this by changing the rear N/S wheel speed sensor yesterday (I had to drill it out) and the light came off. I took the car for a test run only to find that the lights have come on along with the HANDBRAKE light.

My testing procedure:

I tested the wheel sensor with a multimeter measuring the resistance (set to 20M OHMS) . The brand new sensor has a maximum resistance of 0.47M OHMS my failed wheel speed sensor had a reading of 19.44M OHMs this shows an open circuit (picking up EMF from the Air), the potential difference accross the passthrough was OK even with a break in the sensor line. I have found that with a Resistance of 1.55M OHMs or more the wheel speed sensor does not relay the correct potential difference back to the ABS module.

I have a few theories that may explain why I have entire VSA AND ABS failure.

When I was drilling the old sensor out I inadvertently damaged the hub magnetic encoder, which may only recognise the fault when the wheels turn (however the hub is made from a steel alloy and I doubt it has damaged the encoder)

The gap between the sensor and the encoder is too large or too small. (most likely)

There is still debris within the wheel hub which is interfering with the encoder - sensor motion regime. (maybe possible)

My HDS has failed so I am waiting for a replacement. I can do the pin short to get the DTC but if anybody could point me in the correct direction of repair steps I would greatly appreciate it, I have my MOT on Monday (07/07/2014 -2PACS RETURN lol) with an already failed certificate where they have failed me on the headlamp jet washers and 9 other faults including the ABS.

The car engine sound like a tractor, it sounds as though an injector seal is loose so I will try to replace that but I have seen so many threads and so many people explaining it could be a number of things.

I have 5 DTCs read from my generic diagnostic reader.

These include

P2017 - INTAKE MANIFOLD RUNNER POSITION SENSOR/SWITCH CIRCUIT HIGH
P2199 - INTAKE AIR TEMPERATURE SENSOR 1/2 CORRELATION
P1065 - DIESEL FUEL PRESSURE LOWER THEN EXPECTED
P0113 - INTAKE AIR TEMPERATURE SENSOR 1 CIRCUIT HIGH
P2004 - INTAKE MANIFOLD RUNNER CONTROL STUCK OPEN

I use the Honda Accord workshop manual to change parts or repair parts.

Any help regarding this would greatly be appreciated.

Kindest Regards

Rob

Welcome to the Forum Rob. I'm sure the diesel owners who've experienced similar issues will be along shortly to help you out mate.

Hi, thanks very much for the ***ist. I am going to go out on the road now and take the hub bearing off to inspect if there is debris from the drilled old sensor stuck to the magnetic encoder, and measure the air gap.

Kindest Regards

Rob

On the engine errors Its unusual to see some of the intake temp errors and also the imrc switch circuit error.

Can you check your wiring in that area and also all fuses.

P2004 would suggest you have a failed imrc and I also suspect your egr is becoming stuck as these both operate as part of the same intake loop.

Those stored codes could have been stored from a while back... delete them all and see if they return.

Hi there, I checked the wiring and fuses and everything seems fine I will do a continuity check after this MOT, I am unsure of what it can be at this moment, I am still trying to sort this ABS fault any ideas? I will reset DTC but the trouble is I do not want to go and lose all the ABS codes if I do not resolve it today, so I will attempt to do as yove asked and update you.

Any other ideas on where this ABS fault could lie?

Thanks very much

Kindest Regards

Rob

System will probably need balancing after having the new wheel sensor fitted (there's another active thread about this where another member has an 84-1 VSA/ABS code after fitting a new sensor). You won't read this code with your generic OBD2 reader though.

Better get your replacement HDS as soon as possible!

I thought about that, but what I can't understand is that from the circuit diagram once the new sensor is fitted it should autodetect, lights go off and the ABS/VSA system resets. I know that If I remove the wheel hub Il probably need to do the wheel alignment and most likely VSA Sensor Neutral Position Memorization.

The HDS is comming from Japan and I ordered it on Friday they have informed me that it will be with me in 1 week but who knows.

Like I said when the new sensor was fitted it worked.... until I drove it down the road. :mellow:

Thanks again.

SOLIDSNAKE said:
Hi everybody, just want to introduce myself as Rob
Rob
Hi Rob, just want to introduce myself as Big Boss lol

Welcome to the forum mate, and hope you can put your car back to the right order and enjoy the drive :)

Cheers for the comments guys, thanks Big Boss! I got the ABS fault sorted. Turns out that a bit of plastic had lodged itself in the hub bearing on the side I was working on, I noticed it was just in between the sensor and the magnetic strip. I cleaned it all up with some compressed air and ***embled it to find its all working again.

Now for the tractor noise comming from the engine, it sounds awaful, any thoughts on that? :mellow:

Kindest Regards

Rob

F6HAD said:
On the engine errors Its unusual to see some of the intake temp errors and also the imrc switch circuit error.

Can you check your wiring in that area and also all fuses.

P2004 would suggest you have a failed imrc and I also suspect your egr is becoming stuck as these both operate as part of the same intake loop.
I think there is a fault on the IMRC VALVE SOLENOID, I just done a continuity test along the pins and the circuit has a higher then normal response voltage. I think your right F6HAD, cheers for the ***ist. I will replace it tomorrow.

Kindest Regards

Rob

Tractor noise could easily be an injector seal blowing, as you suggested... should be obvious if you remove the engine cover and take a look with the engine running.

Alright I will take a look tomorrow after hopefully a passed MOT.

Thanks for the confirmation.

Kindest Regards

Rob

MOT passed. I will fill you in on the injector situation when the weather is less wet.

Kindest Regards

Rob

HI Rob, glad to hear you passed the MOT. I too have the dreaded VSA light on and am due in to my mechanic tomorrow for him to try and read the fault code. Just hope it is a sensor and not a broken ABS unit! I was wondering where you got the replacement sensor from and how much it was? Also I note you said you use the accord workshop manual and was wondering where you found it? I could do with one! Thanks.