What's new

Honda Accord 2.4 Type s vs 2.4 Executive

Hondata76

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord 2.4 Auto
Hello guys/gals,

I am a new member looking to get a 2.4 CL9 Accord and have a few questions about these models before I make a decision.

1. does the 2.4 Type S have different manual gear ratios compared to the 2..4 Executive manual gear ratios making it quicker than executive?
  2. are both Type S and Executive set at 1445mm in height if so how come most reviews I read say the Type S rides lower than Executive?
  3. I like the outer looks of Type S where as Executive has more toys like leather, all electrics, HID's etc..so am leaning more towards Executive and if I decide to get the Executive suspension setup to that of Type S what would I need to change in the Executive setup? would it just be sport springs? since all reviews claim both heights are 1445mm?
  4. not sure if this is possible in the K24's stock engine but can it be remapped to redline at 7800rpm instead of the 6800rpm? I recon almost 20bhp can be had out of it if its can be remapped to redline at 7800rpm without having to change internals. taking it to around 210bhp.
Thanks guys

The saloon and tourer are basically, exactly the same aside from the boot and rear suspension setup. The rear suspension is a cruder, trailing arm suspension to allow for greater boot space. The different suspension and larger boot cabin adds somewhere in the region of 30-60KG of weight. But that's it!

The front halves of the saloon and tourer, all engine setups and everything is exactly the same.

[SIZE=10.5pt]thanks for the replys.. i was more interested in the Type S and Executive Saloons and wanted to know the actual difference between the two in terms of [/SIZE]performance[SIZE=10.5pt] and suspension setup...Tourers looks nice but might have a bit too much space than i would need..[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]would swapping to ep3 gear ratios also mean final drive ratio also need altering? how much of a difference would ep3 gearing make in terms of acceleration difference when compared to the stock gear? considering the K24 doesn't rev as high as the K20's in EP3..and yes at 1445mm the Accords ride quite high compared to my Lexus IS sport which rides at 1405mm which is 40mm low. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]mmh so if suspension is similar how come Type S is sold and marketed as having stiff (sport) suspension? did Honda just use stiffer springs in the Type S's but ride height stayed the same?[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]nice to hear 7600-7800 redline is possible on stock internals as I feel this was what Honda should have set the ECU at from factory. being 2.4litre and having VTC meant it was quite torqey from low to mid range for those who are not interested in revving engines quite high whilst 6000 to 7800rpm power bands would cater for those who enjoy revvy engines. does any one know why Honda didn't do this? 190bhp from a non turbo 2.4 4cylinder is very impressive in my books considering a 2004' 2.4 Audi A4 was a V6 and only made 170bhp, same as an 04 325i BMW made same power as the Honda but was a 2.5 litre 6 cylinder.. even Merc only managed 170bhp from their 2.6litre 6 cylinder C240's in 2004 so theses Accords were punching above their weight to make more power with less capacity and cylinders. but I feel an extra 1000rpm could be extracted out of them for more power..[/SIZE]

Oh right, sorry...

7th gen exec has all the toys you can want and comes in a 2.4 manual option. It's a cracking motor.

7th gen Type-S is exactly the same minus the toys (weight saving perhaps?), sportier seats and cosmetic bits like front/rear lower lips on the bumper, side skirts and a different grill.

I don't believe the suspension was any different between Exec and S. From what I understand, the Type-S was basically a way to market a modestly spec'd car with a large engine.

There was an optional upgrade on purchasing the Accord for the A-Spec suspension which was a little lower and stiffer. From what I've been led to believe, it's not uncommon that a Type-S customer would buy their new Accord with this upgrade (kind of makes sense really) and so you may find Type-S's with a slightly sportier suspension. But I could be wrong about this.

But honestly, in my opinion get the Exec. It's got more toys, heated leather seats and a significantly better sound system (seriously! The sound system is amazing for a stock stereo). If you find the ride too high, spend £200-300 (after labour) lowering with Eibach or Apex Springs.

As far as engine goes, they're the same! They run the same maps and everything. If you get a 2.4 manual, consider the linked above remap. I've been running it for about 5000 miles now and can't recommend it enough.

My signature has the details of my mods. The 2.4 manual Exec makes a lovely sleeper. No Type-S badges and low skirts to draw attention to yourself. Looks like a car your granddad would be happy to drive, but then it puts the frighteners on bullish Audi drivers when they're sitting 2 inches off your rear.

thanks for the advice guys..

yeh the Executive model seems the way to go and it has pretty much everything.. will see how i like the stock suspension if not will just invest in lowering springs as you mentioned but will it put too much stress on the stock suspension and will i need some geometry adjustments if i decide on lowering springs? i read a few articles about the remap/reflash so will consider it.. have you or any one had yours dyno'd to see a comparison on before and after figures?

@ukcl9
good to know gears are interchangeable on these models and yeh larger displacements dont need to rev higher to make more power due to longer stroke distance. not in a rush so will keep hunting until the right one comes along..

According to me there definitly is a difference in suspension between executive and type s, at least for the pre facelift models. I dont know if the springs and dampers are different or only springs. I have a executive with the type s suspension setup part no 08W60-SEA-600 , and it definitly is lower than a normal executive.
As mentioned before executive has more options then type s. So getting a executive and maybe an aftermarket suspension upgrade can be a good option

Thanks Rinesh how much did the Type S suspension cost you? few threads I have read confirmed they quite pricey..any ideas of how much they go for now that if Honda still stocks them of course being a 10/11 year old model.. if not can i just run say a 30mm Eibach or Bilstein sport springs on the stock damper or will this put too much stress on it any one had expereince with running sport lower springs on stock damper?

The previous owner did the suspension upgrade. He paid € 588 excl labour at the dealer here in holland. About 2 months ago cox motorsport quoted me 572,50 pound. I thought i had some problem with my suspension, fortunatly it was not the case.
I dont know if an aftermarket spring will put too much stress on the stock damper..

Not all execs come with HIDs it seems. Mine does not have them. :( Has pretty much everything else I could possible need though.

Facelift did away with HIDs as standard. They became an optional extra. Blessing in disguise mate. I've had all manner of problem with my self levelling function. Failed an MOT, bodged repaired, but to get it working before the next MOT cost me a lot of time, removing headlamps, faffing to find the fault, replacing faulty component at a cost of nearly £160 for the part.

There's a reason Honda stopped putting them on all their cars...

But when they work!! Wow!!!

Stevearcade said:
I've had all manner of problem with my self levelling function. Failed an MOT, bodged repaired, but to get it working before the next MOT cost me a lot of time, removing headlamps, faffing to find the fault, replacing faulty component at a cost of nearly £160 for the part.
simple fix .....pull the plugs off the motors that adjust the headlights. The MOT place that I go to never say anything, if you go to an MOT place that does, then put some masking tape in the plugs and push them back on for the MOT, then take them off afterwards.

I find my type S tourer a great place to be in. The buttons and other controls are easy to use and it doesn't look over complicated. I love the half leather seats, the all red instrument panel something that was ruined after the 2005 facelift when it went red and white. Okay so I don't have satnav, full electric seats or HIDs but overall I think the type S on 17" rims is the most attractive of the two. My car is 11yrs old and I can't see me changing it any time soon ;-)

ok so revisiting this thread, I just saw a Type S model at the petrol station in gun metal grey with matching 17" Alloys and i must admit is looked quiet nice wrapped up in the sport body kits and slightly low stance.. it making me think i should go for a type S model. so a few questions if you guys dont mind.

• will the sat nav and 6 cd changer unit from the executive fit into a Type S housing and will i need extra wiring to make the unit work in a Type S model? reasin i ask is i have seen a few sat nav/ 6 cd changer units from the executive models being sold on ebay. so am thinking if i go type s then swap out the units for sat nav unit from executive.
  • how easy can HID's be fitted to the Type S model? maybe i can get a set from HIDS4U.co.uk
  • and do type S models have stability control as standard?
  • does executive have a different brand speakers more speakers compared to type S? or does the premium sound actually come from the executives models head unit its self?
i am aware i will loose electric heating leather seats if i go for type s over executive but its something i could live with to be honest. thanks

Sat nav: I doubt if it will be a straight plug an play option. Because the executive with sat nav also has a top screen (on dash), a external amp for better sound and higher output, and i think 2 speakers less.
HID: I'm sure a H1 HID kit will do the job.
VSA: As fas as i know both EX and type S came with it

Sure you can go for a type S, but here's how i see it:
Type S: U might be upgrading whatever u stated above (sat nav, hid, maybe speakers). Also you don't have heated seats, sunroof etc.
Executive: You have all the options you might want. Only thing: Not lowered. So you may go for a lowering kit. Will solve your problem and you have more options then Type S..

Some good points there Rinesh... Executive has it all minus sport suspension and the sport body kit.. Which can be solved by getting some Eibach springs but i keep thinking it wont be the same look as a Type S. The body kits make them look really nice from the outside and the toys and trim makes executive look soo nice from the inside.. Am confused lol. What i want is a type s exterior and an executive interior but i dint think such one exists for sale.

Hondata76 said:
Some good points there Rinesh... Executive has it all minus sport suspension and the sport body kit.. Which can be solved by getting some Eibach springs but i keep thinking it wont be the same look as a Type S. The body kits make them look really nice from the outside and the toys and trim makes executive look soo nice from the inside.. Am confused lol. What i want is a type s exterior and an executive interior but i dint think such one exists for sale.
I get your confusion. I had the exact same problem, wanted type s looks, but Ex trim. Fortunatly i got a Ex with type S Suspenion. Only thing i dont have, is the bodykit... Maybe someday if i get a good deal i will do someting about it.

Edit: Pic of my car. May (or not) take away little bit of your confusion :unsure:

1237209_235705463245977_1845278548_o.jpg

Am not the first to have this dilemma then :). Hence i was thinking i go type s then fit hids and swap out the head unit with one from executive which will give me the nav and 6 cd. maybe i could live without full heated leather. But all boils down to how easy the executive headunit fits into the type s without extra wiring and soldering. I beleive the nav screen and cd unit are all one unit but will depend if there are connections at the back to easily plug into. Sure someone on here as attempted fitting oem executive nav unit into non executive model?

your accord is sitting very nice. not too low like a 'boy racer' just the right height :) . but take a look at this Type S it just looks that extra

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201408146588995/sort/default/model/accord/radius/200/usedcars/keywords/2.4/page/2/onesearchad/used%2Cnearlynew%2Cnew/make/honda/postcode/mk160ay/body-type/saloon?logcode=p

Well Guys I am back on here again still no Accord yet as i traded my Lexus IS300 for the GS430 V8 and had it almost 2 years but 2 kids now means i need to chop down my car running costs to 4 cylinders instead of 8 :( so back again! anyway have another question.. has any one moved form the 2.0 to the 2.4 Accord and was it worth it in terms of drive ability and decent performance. or would you say the 2.0 will do just fine? I know both are no V8's so I am not looking for that kind of performance just something decent reliable with good performance that sips petrol instead of drinking it lol...

Hondata76 said:
Well Guys I am back on here again still no Accord yet as i traded my Lexus IS300 for the GS430 V8 and had it almost 2 years but 2 kids now means i need to chop down my car running costs to 4 cylinders instead of 8 :( so back again! anyway have another question.. has any one moved form the 2.0 to the 2.4 Accord and was it worth it in terms of drive ability and decent performance. or would you say the 2.0 will do just fine? I know both are no V8's so I am not looking for that kind of performance just something decent reliable with good performance that sips petrol instead of drinking it lol...
I would go for 2.4, it's not that thirsty as you might think and compared to 2.0 liter it's nearly the same consumption. But 2.4 performs better. My 2 cents

Sent from my m2 note using Tapatalk

Yeh i worked it out and based on my driving the 2.4 will cost me another 40quid extra per month to fuel compared to the 2.0 that about a tenner a week so the savings is not that huge. So looks like sticking with the 2.4 is the better option Thanks for the input..

Interesting seeing the pic above, my old accord type s sat a lot higher than that. Literally looked liked a jacked up 70's American trans am or similar. I was led to believe that the facelift type s sat 10mm lower but apart from the a spec option all these accords have the same standard cavernous arch gap?

ok so i have picked up an executive auto in pearlescent blue over the weekend. wanted a manual exec but couldn't resist the colour and interior combination. drives nice quite smooth on the motorway similar to my two previous Lexus IS & GS's. the power is no GSV8 but its accpetable and fuel will be a bit better.. cant seem to see the option to add photos can see an icon saying image but when i click on it it just opens a screen asking me for url. any ideas??

honda1.jpg
honda2.jpg
honda3.jpg
honda4.jpg
honda5.jpg
honda6.jpg

1 owner from new for the past 13 years just couldnt resist the colour and interior combination. wanted a Type S but i recon the Executive is the best model to have. will eventually refurb the alloys and have some light smoke windows tints amybe some wind deflectors at the front windows. :)