What's new

Honda Battery

Jon_G

No Longer Active
Reaction score
Car
2005 Tourer i-CTDi
My car battery is showing signs of reaching the end of it's life - I can't really complain, as it's still got the original (Delphi) battery... if I could, I'd certainly buy another Delphi, but I believe they stopped making batteries a few years ago?

Does anyone know who actually manufactures the batteries sold by Honda? Their prices appear to be quite good, especially so when they have a sale on, but I'd like to know what I'm getting and how it might compare to a Bosch S5.

Thanks, Jon

Panasonic 46B24L(S)-MF in the 2.4 petrol

PS just an idea for the diesel, Lings often list several manufacturers on some parts

^
2.4 petrol has PANASONIC with a line through PANSONIC
http://www.lingshondaparts.com/honda_car_parts_selection_pfk.php?block_01=17SED01&block_02=B__0600&block_03=445

diesel has JOHNSON with no line through JOHNSON
http://www.lingshondaparts.com/honda_car_parts_selection_pfk.php?block_01=17SED01&block_02=B__0601&block_03=517

^
2.4 petrol has PANASONIC with a line through PANSONIC
http://www.lingshondaparts.com/honda_car_parts_selection_pfk.php?block_01=17SED01&block_02=B__0600&block_03=445

diesel has JOHNSON with no line through JOHNSON
http://www.lingshondaparts.com/honda_car_parts_selection_pfk.php?block_01=17SED01&block_02=B__0601&block_03=517
Thanks for that Brian. I had never noticed supplier names on the Ling's site before!

I've looked up Johnson, and it looks like they took over Delphi's battery concern a few years ago (so looks promising). Hopefully my battery will hold on long enough for the next Honda battery sale, which I bet won't be happening during winter?

For info, Panasonic also supply the OEM Toyota batteries - I replaced the MR2 battery a couple of months ago and that had lasted since early 2003... can't ask for much better than that!

I've not long fitted a new battery in my diesel -starting is much more convincing now ;)

Looked around various motor factors etc, and the Holdcroft price came in near the bottom of pile. It's not clear who's made the battery, as it's badged Honda. Time will tell if it's as good as one costing over twice as much from the likes of Halfords and Euro Car Parts, but as far as I'm concerned if it's good enough for Honda it's good enough for me. If it doesn't last ten years, the low initial cost means I can replace it sooner anyway without being out of pocket :D

Up to November last year the Panasonic was the original battery from the factory (I presume). My VIN shows my car was actually made in 2003, and must have stood around for nearly a year somewhere until being registered as a 54. Depending on where it had stood, that might explain why it was on its last legs last year. During winter 2010/11 I had to use the car every day, if not I had to leave it on charge overnight. I only replaced the Panasonic in my car last year because HH had it on offer for £38, otherwise I might have struggled on with it !! :lol: Without me asking, HH supplied an identical Panasonic battery. As you say, there does seem to be a battery sale once per year, must be something to do with the price of lead :lol: (satire)

I replaced mine with a cheapy thing form some discount battery store online over a year ago. It was the right spec for the car, but the wrong size :rolleyes: . Took some fiddling to get it in. I was skint so had no choice, but next time I'll go OEM as it should fit better :lol: . But as far as functionality goes, it's fine.

I'm still running the Delphi in my 2002. The gravity indicator has been black (instead of green) for about 4 years and still starts 1st time, every time. I hope they are still made to the same standard if under another brand!!

Does anyone know what the CCA figure is for the Honda/Johnson/Delphi battery?

Mine's getting worse and I've just seen that the Bosch S5 has an impressive CCA figure of 780 (and a 5 year warranty). But it is a bit pricey!

Jon I got mine of HH about 2yrs ago never missed a beat and I've got all sorts in the car meter radio data head sat nav etc the engine must get turned over at least 200 times a day

Does anyone know what the CCA figure is for the Honda/Johnson/Delphi battery?

Mine's getting worse and I've just seen that the Bosch S5 has an impressive CCA figure of 780 (and a 5 year warranty). But it is a bit pricey!

The HOnda one I got 2 days ago from Holdcroft was around 780ish for CCA IIRC.

This is purely anecdotal but the stock honda battery in my CDTI 07 honda saloon was dreadful, I lived in fear for 2 years after I bought it because it was very quick to drain if you have the radio for only a little while.

I replaced it with a Bosch branded battery, I no longer live in fear of looking like a *** in a car park. :)

IMy battery is fine since i got jump start at the start of the month, i would be inclined to get that bad boy bosch in future though.

Www.eurocarparts.com always seem to have a sale on, lots of discount codes.

They sell Bosch with guarantees.

http://www.eurocarparts.com/car-battery?gclid=CIjsmOOImrUCFY7MtAodsmoAMA

15% off batteries at the moment

But why Bosch, specifically, rather that the one Honda would sell me (Delphi, probably)? The Honda/Delphi is as good as a Bosch S5 on paper and is a good deal cheaper (even with an ECP discount, but thanks for that Rich). And I'm pretty sure that I'll get a guarantee wherever I buy from, although the duration of this does seem to depnd upon manufacturer and exact model.

I do take on board Naddy's comment, but I've also heard iffy things about Bosch (S4, at least) on another forum.

My old original Delphi is still holding up just about OK, cranks over fast enough but won't do this for very long. So I do worry about it failing completely sometime soon! So I'm still waiting for a Honda battery sale (or a good technical reason not to buy a battery from Honda)...

i posted a link for that bosch weeks back i think, it was 80gbp+ or so so not cheap. it had a very high cca i remember.

with batterys i would rather pay more for peace of mind rather than save 20quid and have a dead car some morning

i posted a link for that bosch weeks back i think, it was 80gbp+ or so so not cheap. it had a very high cca i remember.
Bosch S5 and the Delphi sold by Honda both have the same 780 CCA.

with batterys i would rather pay more for peace of mind rather than save 20quid and have a dead car some morning
Agree, but which is best? I'm not sure that simply buying the most expensive one is any guarantee of performance, so I'm still thinking of buying from Honda.

if the honda one has the same CCA i would not worry too much and just get that so, i never knew that until now.

i think my battery is still stock, and its 2004 and going strong.

if the honda one has the same CCA i would not worry too much and just get that so, i never knew that until now.

i think my battery is still stock, and its 2004 and going strong.
Yep, mine's still on the original (Delphi) battery too. And, to me, that's another reason to buy one of those!

this is on my car, 380cca

45amps

doesnt look stock?

8448664962_94ec163edd_z.jpg

8447577797_3310e65e60_c.jpg

I'm just talking to Code Source, they will take over your brain shortly so that they can use your eyes to look for the name Panasonic on the side of the battery :lol:

mine has 380 looks aftermarket, but will keep it till it gives in.

that's because Jon's car is a diesel

mine has 380 looks aftermarket, but will keep it till it gives in.
that's because your car, like mine, is a 2.4 petrol
...and Source Code couldn't connect as they couldn't find any working synapses, but the pictures are amazingly useful

diesel owners need their own section here....

:D

what CCA is on your battery, source code ?!