Honda Milano Red fading

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bodey

Members
Reaction score
Car
Honda Accord Exc
has anyone had any issues with the paintwork or quaility of there cars? i.e accords? my accord is milano red, an the bonnet, roof, boot, top of doors, are all faded to almost a pink? i know this sounds stupid, but to compare this car to othe cars of the same age similar colour it really doesnt add up? i hav heard of other people having this issue, in fact i was walking out to my car last week and found another honda owner inspecting my paintwork and to my surprise he had been waiting on me to arrive back to the vehicle to question me about the problem as he himself had the same issue, maybe its just the milano red clour and the car is 6 years old, but buffing, polishing waxing or anything doesnt bring it up, and it seems to be under the laquer and it varies on different temperatures, redder in the summer but dull in the winter probly due to the temperature reacting with the paint under the laquer??? maybe this is a lost cause but has anyone had a similar issue? if so is it under warranty or is there any comeback????? :rolleyes:

Kevy, you're not being stupid mate. This is a common problem with Milano Red. See if you can have a paint correction done on it..

Red=pink whether its a Honda or another make, after a while, just one of those things.

However, a good polish can bring it back to life, just as Fahad says.

But oddly i dont really know why, becuase paint goes: Primer, Paint, Clearcoat. So why polishing the clearcoat changes the faded paint layer back to red i dont know. But i have polished red cars, and it does work!

I think the Milano Red doesn't have a clear coat lacquer, it has an orange tint in it or something mate. CJ knows better than me.

iI kinda remember another member having the same problem with the red colour,I don't want to raise any hopes or open any can of worms but if I remember correctly after a lot of hassle with Honda UK,hondauk after carefully inspection admitted there was something seriously wrong and did correct the paint job...

I think the Milano Red doesn't have a clear coat lacquer, it has an orange tint in it or something mate. CJ knows better than me.

Fahad i was just admiring your car, really is a class example you really have no expense sparred, if i had the coin i would do everything i wanted to my accord, you really have done it right and not cut any corners and its paid off!! excellent work..

on the paint issue, i valet cars part time and i have done hundreds off cars over the years, and lots of red cars, but this just isnt the same, i have done mates civic in milano red and they seem to come up bright red, my car has never been painted nore damaged, it is straight as you'll get, but i cant understand th blotchy fading under them areas of the car, i could buff and buff and polish the car forever it seems, and it wont bring these areas up, dont get me wrong the car is like a mirror to look at and water wont even settle on it before its running of it lol but the fading stays put......a local proffessional sprayer told me it seemed lik it was painted with that newer water based paint and it looks like the bodywork hasnt had sufficent time to cure and therefore the laquer is provding a seal over the paint which is leaving me only polishing the laquer and never bringing up the paint colour to its former glory!!!!!!!

iI kinda remember another member having the same problem with the red colour,I don't want to raise any hopes or open any can of worms but if I remember correctly after a lot of hassle with Honda UK,hondauk after carefully inspection admitted there was something seriously wrong and did correct the paint job...

thanks sufian!! i wonder should i go down that road and kick up stink?? i wouldnt be one for complaing but im just trying to iron out a few of these issues and if honda can stand over them, then why not, i almost regret busy this colour of accord now, and think i should have went for a metallic shade! but red can be amazing if kept n good nick, but there is diffenetly somthing not right about this!!!!!!!!!

It definitely has a clear coat , people just choose not to admit since it a solid colour. They ***ume since its not a metallic shade it doesn't have a clear coat.

The problem with Milano red is it orange tint within the clear coat, with time and over exposure to UV rays of the sun that orange tint goes pink.

It is this orange tint which give the RED the candy depth in the colour. no amount of abrasive polish can remove that safely , if you really want to fix it the wrong way .take paint reading determine the clear coat thickness , buff the entire coat off polish the base coat to mirror finish and you will get you colour looking perfect.

only thing you have just exposed that basecoat without any clear protection. so it will get worse faster. It is a inherent drawback of rich deep colour ..its not a fault it just its is characteristic. No manufacturer or paint firm will go out of their way to say this paint has that drawback.

Anyone seen dynorod vans (Drains firm) they are neony orange colour and they too see fading due to clear tint they going very yellowy.

Respray is the only option ,but you will NEVER cure it.

yes i understand xactly what u mean, i think i was just looking for a miracle cure, but yes to do it right would be to get a full respray....the only way..

Bodey,

I have exactly the same problem, but I am in a rather long-drawn battle with Honda UK.
I have a 2006 2.0 Exec in Milano Red, and I love the car, BUT it is fading rather quickly, even though I had Diamondbrite Paint Protection added at the dealership.
Honda UK have dismissed my claim for the affected areas to be re-sprayed, saying that there is NO fault with the paintwork. They have'nt had any complaints
about the paintwork in the past.

Well HONDA UK, I have got news for you. I am taking this matter further, and so should you Bodey and anyone else who has issues with their car,
after exhausting the usual channels of polite complaint, get in touch with the following

The Code Advisory and Conciliation Council
Motor Codes Ltd
PO Box 44755
London
SW1X 7DS
0800 692 0825
www.motorcodes.co.uk

Apparently, after explaining my case to the person at the end of the phone, I have a very strong case, as I have evidence from the dealership,
their approved repairer, an independant paintshop and 2 professional valetting companies that Honda sent out to rectify the problem, but could not.
Heres hoping for a satisfactory outcome.

Hope this has shed a bit more light on your situation, be patient and always smile and stay calm, extemely hard, but it wont do any good if you lose
your rag and start to rant and rave.

regards

Big Kev

Forgot to mention that not only are ALL up-facing surfaces fading, but on the roof there are 2 perfect 2" square patches as well as a 1" strip along the windscreen that is a different colour.
Fading is an all over effect, NOT in perfectly formed shapes.
So Customer Service at Honda, how do you explain this one???

So I did remember correctly....dam kev mate you still fighting this thing, I thought Honda agreed to correct the paint work.buddy?

Its a real same that this colour does this because its a lovely colour.But as CJ said is the only way really.

Hi CJ, thanks for the consructive criticism.

You maybe right, I dont know for sure what the previous owner done with the car, but for me, since the car had the 'Paint Protection' from the dealership,
I have followed 'to the letter' exactly what I was told at the dealership as to how I was to care for and clean the car, with the paint protection car care kit.

I will admit that the bonnet has been re-sprayed after a little bump I had and the reading for that was 227 microns, the roof, in different ares ranged from
75 to 146 microns, then there is the boot lid which had a reading of, if I remember rightly, about 135/40. I have been told , by one of the valetters, that be
bare minimum reading should be at least 150, prefferably 200 microns.

I offered to take the car down to Slough to be inspected by their experts, where the Honda UK headquaters are, but was told not to bother, as they dont
have a technical department and that they rely on the judgement of their dealerships and approved repairers. It appears that they dont even do that, as
they have decided not to do anything and dismiss my claim.

UKaccord and Brett, thanks for comments and concerns, also appreciate CJ's comments. I feel that I have acted in the propper manner in dealing with
this issue, and hope to resolve it with a satisfactory outcome on my behalf very soon.

To those who knew, I was unemployed at the time of the Holdcroft meet, but good news, I now have a job and am saving like hell to do the mods/improvements
to my lovely car. I maybe saving for a re-spray, but lets hope not!!!

regards to all

Kev

Kev, congrats on the new job.

CJ is right in his point of view, but I would take a more simplistic view here - more from a legal viewpoint.

The moment that Honda (either directly or via one of their approved dealers) appointed someone to carry out a paint correction, that in the eyes of the law is a partial admission of guilt. In taking that action, they've only strengthened your case for a legal course back to them.

I'm not a lawyer, but this is just common sense.

This is also the main reason that Motor Codes are supporting you.

I also recognise that there is a common issue with Milano Red, and Honda need to wake up and smell their own coffee. It will be an expensive fix for them, but their reputation depends on it.

CJ I'm talking purely from a legal viewpoint. The onus is not upon the customer to prove that there is a variation in paint thickness. The onus is upon Honda to honour their paint warranty and fix the problem. Simple as that.

How remapped diesels relate to this problem, I'm not entirely sure but I'm sure it made sense to you.

Kev - let us know how it pans out, I'm very interested.

OK mate you're right, anyways keep it on topic.

Red is just one of those colours that will fade no matter what manufacturer.
This is the main reason why I avoid red cars. However they do look very nice though.

Kev just chase Honda mate on this. You could ***ume anything on the past of the car so my advice is stick to your guns on this and get Honda to paint the car. They offer a warranty so try and use it.

CJ you have a point in terms of the buffing of a car and the types of compounds they use as this will always take a slight layer off everytime you use it and where they have pushed harder or left the buffer too long will cause high and low spots.

In terms of remaps etc and the moral stance and all that nowadays no car is what it seems unless you buy it new. Its very hard to find a second car that is what it is. Most have been tampered with at some point whether it be miledge clocking or remaps etc

Kev keep us updated mate.

P.s love the Admin wars lol

No wars mate just different opinions ;) and one of the reason why I have three cars of the same fuel.
I know mate, just pulling your leg.

Lets keep this on topic, Kev you have some good points here now so let us know what you are going to do.

Lads

I DO appreciate the comments and support and will deffo keep you updated as and when I hear anything.

I dont mean to cause any upset or cause any arguments, and as CJ said, they are personal opinions and
I feel very strongly that after paying for the car AND Paint Protection, within 2 years the paint is fading in the
way that it is/has. Something should be done by the manufacturer, if not for my motor, but for future cars.
I am not sure if Milano Red is still available on new cars, If so, lets hope that the formula for the paint is one
of better quality than the past. I do accept that red fades quicker than most other colours. Maybe I am fighting
a losing battle, but unless someone kicks up a stink and starts to rattle the manufacturers cages, then nothing
will ever get done. I sincerely hope some good will come of this, but
in reality, it probably wont. Heres hoping.

Rant over!!!

Stay Safe.

Kev

P.S. CJ, not want to tell how to do you job as one of the admin team, it is good that this item is being pinned, but
can it be in the 7th Generation Accord, not the 8th, 2006 iVTEC 2.0 Auto. Thank you again.

Kev you can tell him how to do his job - he never listens to me :lol:

Moved mate.

lol @ admin, kev best of luck mate, regarding the fading of the colour mate, i say if they do offer a partial paid respary(with warranty)take them on it mate, as you will not get this type of offer fromn any other manufacturer...i know hondauk can be good with complaints/quries, as i found out with my vsa module, they may not be willing to take the full blame(imagine the amount of repayments etc if they did) but they will try to meet half way and keep you happy,good luck bud.

Hi
I too have this problem and have had pictures taken on Saturday by a dealer to send to Honda, As I understand it and the dealer agrees Red paint should not fade these days with modem base and clear coat systems.
Gary

Gary

I hope that the dealership do something for you, also get an estimate from their approved repairers.
If there is still no joy, take it the 'Motorcode' people, with a full explaination of what you have done.

The more people that come forward with this complaint, the more pressure ther is on Honda to
get the problem sorted.

Good luck.

wel lads!

ive really done it now! lol...

ive only been a member for under a week and ive started an accord riot!

my accord is in fact milano red, and to my knowledge my car has never been hit, or damaged but i will do my damdess to find out more info, i did a hpi check on the car and it revealed th car had not been in any accidents or there was no outstanding finaces etc.....

the car was bought from Norton Way Honda, Letchworth Hertfordshire from new then i have had it..thats as much as i kno, ys i may be in the dark as such, but i know one thing my mliano red accord is fading, and in very similar areas as what is stated here....nothing i can do will bring it up, polishing and professional views and inspections tel me its and issue with the curing of the paint in the booth, and that there is some sort of paint issue ther and ther is a case, i have a faimly relative who has a simlar accord 2006 in fact and it is very very silmilar to my issues regading the bootlid, roof, bonnet top of doors etc...also you can see the difference between the body and the bumpers, yes they are a different material...but through time this shpuldnt matter the paint should be vibrant, afterall milano red is one of its flagships main colour and in fact should be setting the benchmark, weather it be a type r civic or a cdti accord.....there must be more issues like this, than just these two we are chatting about on the forum, its that annpyn snd depressing to look at, specially when u take such pride and interest into your honda, it makes you think you should have choose another colour???? but really this should not be the case!!!! milano red is a gorgeous colour but you cant by it in fear off fading issues??????? really this should not be a thought when choosing a paint colour!!!! yes you exspect a slight discolouration, because red is notorious for it, but not to this degree, and its not lik the cars are vintage!!! my mate has a 1995 celica gt4, and it is bright red!!!!!! and there are know signs of damage or full resprays, and a full history!! maybe this is silly to compare it!!! but it does make you think! why????? :(

Hi
I too have this problem and have had pictures taken on Saturday by a dealer to send to Honda, As I understand it and the dealer agrees Red paint should not fade these days with modem base and clear coat systems.
Gary

wel gazza! i am currently chasing up the manifold issue, would it be worth while getting the dealership to inspect the paint aswell?? as i have the same issue of fading in my milano red november 2005 accord????

That may be so, but that still does not make it acceptable.

That may be so, but that still does not make it acceptable.

^^ I refer you back to my original point ^^

Bottom line is whether it's a flaw in red paint or in Honda's QC, as we're talking about Honda products, it's up to Honda to resolve this. If the customer is doing something wrong, then that's one thing, but if it's a flaw in the paint itself - Honda should not be offering it. Period.

Again, both sides have valid points.

Not wanting to upset anyone, but this is a HONDA website and the issue here IS the quality, or poor quality, of HONDA paint, not other manufacturers paint.

It is widely known that red paint appears to fade quicker than other colours, whatever manufacturer of car you own.

I think the main thing we need to remember is that Honda offer a paint warranty and in my eyes if the paint fades, whether it be red, black, silver, Honda are obliged to fix the issue free of charge period.
If they refuse then further actions must be taken which Kev is doing so for me i'm with Kev on this. Not to say I don't agree with CJ but if you have warranty then you should be able to use it.

I hope you get this sorted guys

That's the very point I'm making guys, not sure why it's even an argument! I have nothing against Honda for gods sake. I'm just talking common sense.

Unless Honda are making their customers sign some sort of a disclaimer which states that they're buying a red car at their own risk as it is likely to fade etc. then whilst it is under warranty for paint defects, its' Honda's responsibility. The same goes for all the other manufacturers out there!! And whilst we're on the subject, most of the German's offer 10 year paint warranties anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.