What's new

Honda Milano Red fading

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do we have anyone with a legal background who can answer the question on whether this is covered by Consumer law, ie Fit for purpose, Sale of goods act etc

I thought I had better back-up my claim by contacting Honda UK direct and get some confirmation about the warranty they provide.

Standard warranty is only 3 YEARS for surface corrosion, yet the structural corrosion is 12 YEARS.

Surely there must be some continuity, but there is a passage that quotes:

"During this period, Honda will rectify, free of charge, any such defects found on the car, subject to the warranty conditions in your service book."

I may be fighting a lost cause, but surely, more peolpe/members who have this problem, and it IS a problem, must start to make waves with Honda.

CJ, if this is not an isolated issue, why have'nt Honda dealt with it and come up with a solution???

Like Fahad said, I also am not anti Honda, I really do like the whole brand, but their stubborness in not listening or, lack of willingness to deal with
such problems does leave me feeling angry and upset.

When it comes round to changing this car, the decision to look elsewhere is increasing all the time. Shame.

Yet again, sorry for rant, but this matter really has, and continues to make my blood boil.

I am 53 and every Vehicle I have ever owned has been a Honda
PC 50 moped
CB250
CB500
CB750
CB900
1 Civic
6 models of Accord
and a Prelude
and Two Lawn mowers
I tow a caravan (sorry) all over Europe on holiday doing thousands of miles over the years and have NEVER been let down by any car or bike.I have never had a problem until now.So my Blood boils too.

I am 53 and every Vehicle I have ever owned has been a Honda
PC 50 moped
CB250
CB500
CB750
CB900
1 Civic
6 models of Accord
and a Prelude
and Two Lawn mowers
I tow a caravan (sorry) all over Europe on holiday doing thousands of miles over the years and have NEVER been let down by any car or bike.I have never had a problem until now.So my Blood boils too.

i am so glad there is other people out there who feel the same as i do! i really am! and if anyone queries this subject in fact they could put themselves in our shoes, weather it be any colour, shade or finish if the paintwork is defective and does not satisfy the customer weather it be a month or a year down the line they should have a cure or help or at least a warning to this effect, it is awful to think now you dont have faith in investing in a red car from honda, especially when red is honda afterall, there flagship colour, brand, u think of honda u see red motorcross bikes, red nsx comes to mind, you think of the red type r brand, hondas racey cars are stamped with the red badges,this is involvement which links the colour to the manufacturer almost what red does for ferrari, yet u get so dissappionted when your own your milano red car which shows signs of fading and disscolouration!!! ah sorry lads it just really makes my blood boil too!!!!!!!!

Nothing has happened so far, Honda wanted to know the last time the car was serviced,
that was last week but apart from that nothing I'm giving it until next week then i will ask the question

I have compiled all of my evidence and have just received a letter from the dealership confiming all that I have said.
This, along with all other letters and correspondance is in the process of being sent to Motorcodes, who will then
take my case further.

More news and updates when I get it.

Phone Call from dealer today. Honda have rejected my claim with no explanation or reason. Legal advice needed now me thinks.

Gazza

Get as much written/photographic evidence as possible. Then get in touch with 'Motorcodes'

www.motorcodes.co.uk

Good luck!!!

Latest News
Its not good, Dealer Service manager phoned late Friday to say claim was rejected because the car was out of warranty. This dealer is not the one that supplied the car they have ceased trading but the one that has taken over Invicta Honda Tunbridge Wells. This is what has stopped by second line of attack using the "The Sale of Goods Act 1979" this only applies to the supplying dealer,(The one you have the contract with) So if your supplying dealer is still trading you have a very good chance of a claim against them under this law. I have been in touch with Consumer Direct which is a department of The Office of Fair Trading these are quotes from the act which effects us
Goods are of ‘Satisfactory quality’ if they reach the standard a reasonable person would expect taking into account the price and any description.
The law says that goods that are of satisfactory quality are free from minor defects, have good appearance and finish and are durable, safe and fit for all the purposes for which such goods are commonly supplied.
If your goods are not satisfactory you may be able to make a claim for up to 6 years in England and Wales and 5 years in Scotland after the purchase of your goods, for a refund, repair or replacement.
A manufactures warranty is in addition to your statutory rights and not a replacement.
Because my supplying dealer is not trading all this is meaningless. The act does not apply to the manufacturer (Honda) as we don't have a contract with them.
So next as a member of WHICH I contacted a one of their Lawyers to see if I could claim against Honda in anyway but it appears not because we don't have a contract with them I could try to claim for negligence during manufacture but that would be costly and not sure of success So Honda get off again the only thing he did say was that he would open up a case and if enough people complained to them they would investigate and possible approach Honda. WHICH highly rates Honda Cars and Customer Care so it might do something Email address for WHICH is wls@which.co.uk So come on tell them your story.

Good point CJ. Guys whilst we can all share our experiences here, TA is in no way prepared to get involved with any litigation against anyone, including Honda.

As for Gary's case, I think it's a little unique as they've used a legal technicality to get out of it. The actual problem of fading paint hasn't been considered at all so I don't think it has any real bearing on others ability to claim.

Did you any for any amount by credit card as the credit card company may also be liable?

Non of this applies as i paid cash. I still think communication with WHICH could help if we all do it. I am in touch with Motorcodes now as Big Kev suggested then a Letter to Honda Japan

The credit card company is jointly liable contractually if at least £100 was paid for by card. It doesn't matter if you've since paid off the balance.

The law says that goods that are of satisfactory quality are free from minor defects, have good appearance and finish and are durable, safe and fit for all the purposes for which such goods are commonly supplied.

I have a lot of experience with the sales of goods act, and you have omitted one important point from the above statement. The above applies to the quality, durability, etc. etc, at the time of sale. The 6year statuatory period is to cover faults and issues which could have been latent at the time of sale and manifest later on. Now you could say that is exactly what your paint issue is, but the counter argument is that the car is still 'fit for purpose'.

Although it could have been an angle to pursue in all honesty i'm not sure how successful you would have been if it had of ended up in court. By taking that angle you may have ended up getting a resolution through good will somewhere long down the road, as I don't believe Honda would want the bad press by going to court for what is such a small cost for them to resolve (mind you that depends how big the floodgates are!).

I would argue the fact that at the time of sale the paint was not durable as it has only kept its colour for a relatively short time compared with the life expectancy of the car so I would call this a fault at the time of sale waiting to develop. Anyway the issue will not arise because the dealer is no longer trading

Update
Nothing happening at the moment i'm waiting for Motorcodes to review the case.
But i did notice that Watchdog is back on the tv !!!!!! Might be worth an Email.

has anyone had any issues with the paintwork or quaility of there cars? i.e accords? my accord is milano red, an the bonnet, roof, boot, top of doors, are all faded to almost a pink? i know this sounds stupid, but to compare this car to othe cars of the same age similar colour it really doesnt add up? i hav heard of other people having this issue, in fact i was walking out to my car last week and found another honda owner inspecting my paintwork and to my surprise he had been waiting on me to arrive back to the vehicle to question me about the problem as he himself had the same issue, maybe its just the milano red clour and the car is 6 years old, but buffing, polishing waxing or anything doesnt bring it up, and it seems to be under the laquer and it varies on different temperatures, redder in the summer but dull in the winter probly due to the temperature reacting with the paint under the laquer??? maybe this is a lost cause but has anyone had a similar issue? if so is it under warranty or is there any comeback????? :rolleyes:

What a REMOVED You must be really gutted. I must admit having seen how some red cars have faded I am always a bit wary of flat reds...metallic & pearlescent finishes maybe. If I remember my physics from school anything nearer the red end of the spectrum is easier to see because the light waves are longer than that of the blue end of the spectrum which has a shorter wavelength. I thing this is why some red paint finishes appear to age more than others.....

hope you get it sorted though :)

Gazza

Tried Watchdog, but all I got was a card saying 'Thank You' but they had other cases to sort out.
Maybe, if more people complain, they may take the case on, worth a try, I have sent in my complaint three times, and got three cards back.!!!

Update, all correspondence sent to Motorcodes, but still waiting for an answer.

Update
Still no reply from Motorcodes How about you Big Kev ? Have also sent an Email to 3 Car Mags detailing the issues.

No news at the moment. Plan on calling Motorcodes tomorrow as I sent all the details 28-03-2011.
Had thought of taking dealership to small claims court, as it was them who sold the car to me.
As long as your claim is reasonable, not silly amounts, thay may payout.

What magazines did you send your complaint to?, might do the same, and if there are any more complaints
the magazines may follow-up on the story.

Hope you hear soon Gazza.

Hi
I contacted What Car,Autoexpress, and Autocar. Give it a go. everybody with this problem be it an Accord a Civic or whatever need to work together on this to get some response. At the moment i feel i'm banging my head against a brick wall. nobody i contact seems bothered.

Contacted MotorCodes last week, they had recieved my documents but were understaffed, so having to wait a while.
Have been ***ured that I will be getting an answer within the next two weeks on which course of action to take next.
With all this lovely weather we are having, it is highlighting my problem very well, but at the moment, nothing positive.

My next option is to take the dealership to the small claims court, as it was they who sold the car and the paint protection.

More updates when I get some news.

I'm Waiting on Motorcodes too, Letters to car mags seems to have fallen on deaf ears So i'm now drafting a letter to the Top Banana Mr Takanobu Ito, President & CEO of Honda

Hi

Big Kev I have had a reply from What Car Mag Have you contacted any Mags ? Lets get the ball rolling

Thank you for writing to What Car? Helpdesk.

While we consider each case we receive, please bear in mind that we can only intervene with the small number we have room for in the magazine. Apologies if this means your particular problem is not chosen for our full attention, but you can take heart from the attached Factsheet, which is full of useful advice and contacts which may enable you reach a satisfactory conclusion without our help. To open the Factsheet you’ll need Adobe Reader, which you can download for free from www.adobe.co.uk. In addition, you can find further advice from the Help & Advice pages whatcar.com.

If you are one of the lucky few to have your case taken up, you will hear directly from one of our Helpdesk team in due course. Please be prepared to help them pursue your problem by giving them any further information they may require, including of copies of correspondence and other relevant paperwork. Please also be aware that once we take up your case, we will want to photograph you with your car. This picture will appear in What Car? magazine along with our story about your problem and how we have solved it.

In the meantime, thank you for writing to Helpdesk, and if we are unable to get back to you individually, I wish you the best of luck in solving your problem.

Regards

What Car?

Gazza

Am on the case straight away now, to What Car? Hopefully they may just take the case up if we can get more people who have the same problem to write to them.

At least you have got a polite answer, instead of being ignored.

Still waiting to hear from Motorcodes, but I do have my Small Claims Court form ready if there is negative feedback.

TTFN

Big Kev

CJ

I know there is the standard 3-year warrenty for paint, but surely even you must agree,
in these days of modern technology that Honda have a problem with their Flagship colour.

How many other makes do you see with extremely advancing fading paintwork.
My car is coming up to 5 years old in late 2011 and the boot-lid is PINK, not RED as it
should be. The dealership sold me PAINT PROTECTION and they dont want to know..

I have said this before, I know I am probably fighting a lost cause and nothing will be done
about my car, BUT unless the little people like me do something and kick up a stink, and
be a pain in the a**e, what will be done, NOTHING.

If, Honda do the decent thing (extremely unlikey!!!) and accept resposability for the paint and
completely re-spray the car, as I am now not willing to accept the affected areas as it will end
up looking like a patchwork quilt, should I go for the Milano Red again or get it sprayed in
Polar White?

Anyway, rant over, I have let off steam.

Heres hoping for an answer, either way soon. Will keep you all posted.

BK

so what does you paint protection policies involve?

Hi all
Update. Cant wait any longer so have posted a Letter to Honda CEO in Japan all my other lines of Attack seem too have dried up even Motorcodes. Is all this being watched and manipulated by Honda UK to save paying out for Hundreds if not thousands of Crap paint claims.

Guys i no Honda paint is not its strong point but to be honest all red cars fade.
In my opinion there is something in all red paints that don't agree with the sun.
Im not an expert in this but that's my view.

Status
Not open for further replies.