What's new

How do I tell if my Clutch Release Bearing is faulty?

Stevearcade

TA Friend
Staff member
Reaction score
Car
2003 Accord CM2
Hi Guys,

My clutch isn't right :unsure: . It's done 30k so isn't very old (had the flywheel done at the same time, so that should be good also). I don't think my clutch control is bad and while I sometimes hammer the car and dunk the gears for VTEC goodness ;) , I don't do it that much. I also just had the hydraulic fluid replaced, but the problem has persisted.

Here's the problem:

- Sometimes it doesn't engage gears at all and I have to repress it a couple of times to get it into gear, mainly from cold with either 1st or reverse, manoeuvring to pull out of parking spaces, but never while actually driving. Gear changes in motion are not an issue.

- It can sometimes make an odd grinding noise when pulling away, like something's not connecting properly, especially if I let the clutch out slowly. Like it's not properly engaging. This in turn makes it feel like it's slipping, but the noise suggests that it's not a normal slipping clutch which in my experience is just the revs not corresponding with the motion of the car, but no weird grinding/rubbing noise.

I don't want to believe my clutch is worn and in motion everything feels fine. The issue is only ever with pulling away in 1st gear and/or reverse. It's not always, just sometimes. Normally on a cold engine, but sometimes on a warm engine too.

I've heard the clutch release bearing can be an issue sometimes. So:

What does it actually do?
How do I know if it's that at fault?
I see from LINGS it's only about £46, but is it a massive job labour wise?
Should it have been replaced when they did the clutch 30k miles ago (the invoice says "clutch kit")?
Can it cause further damage and should I get it sorted ASAP?
Can it wait a little while until my money's in a better state :rolleyes: ?
Or does this sound like something else entirely - am I barking up the wrong tree? Is it my clutch master cylinder? If so, ditto the above questions :rolleyes: ?

Any experience, help or tips greatly appreciated as always lads.

Steve

I've got what sounds like exactly the same - Sometimes it takes a few nudges to put it into 1st, and when pulling away, sometimes there's an odd chirp/grinding noise from the clutch when slowly releasing it.

Not too sure if it's the release bearing, or just worn pressure plates (wouldn't expect that after 30k?), but if you're taking the clutch to bits to do the bearing, makes sense to do it all (Again..). Honda have just said new clutch (for £800!)

Similar to mine- stiff shifts, take off somewhat jerky!! I also feel that the clutch pedal bite point has gotten higher which sometimes makes the clutch sound like its slipping. I will at some point try to adjust the clutch pedal like in this thread:
http://tsx.acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=837892

It sounds like it's not going into gear properly, which is nothing to do with the clutch, but the gear selector.

From the shift lever (gear stick we call it) there are linkages to the gear box , these might need adjusting

On the gearbox itself there is also a shift arm which the linkages attach to, but I doubt if this is the problem.

Then inside the gearbox, there are shift forks which move the gears. These might be worn, but I doubt it.

Here is the thrust bearing, it isn't that. A worn thrust bearing starts to squeal, "all" it does is provide thrust against the fingers on the clutch thrust plate.

It pushes against the middle of the fingers in 5 here which releases the pressure on the friction disk 4. Replacing a thrust bearing is same as replacing a clutch.

Similar to mine- stiff shifts, take off somewhat jerky!! I also feel that the clutch pedal bite point has gotten higher which sometimes makes the clutch sound like its slipping. I will at some point try to adjust the clutch pedal like in this thread:
http://tsx.acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=837892

Me too, going into Automek next week to have a ultra-lightweight forged chrome-molybdenum steel flywheel fitted and sports organic clutch :D

btw ....if your clutch clearing point is down at the floor, then it's the fingers on the thrust plate that are worn. You will find it difficult to get into any gear at any speed.

Ok Brian, that makes sense. So looking at the picture here:

Gear link diagram

Would you adjust at the fitments (that conveniently aren't numbered :rolleyes: ) near the gear-stick end of the cabling? Like tighten or loosen...?

I've never done it on this car, so I can't say. Maybe take it back to the place that did the clutch, they would have had to undo these to get the gearbox off ;)

btw ....if your clutch clearing point is down at the floor, then it's the fingers on the thrust plate that are worn. You will find it difficult to get into any gear at any speed.
....and what if the clutch pedal engages fairly high up??

I checked for clutch slip on the way home. No slip at all, which is a relief. Might have a tweak at the weekend though, as the bite point is quite low and sudden. A fraction higher might give me a little more smoothness. It's pretty jerky at present, and a little more travel wouldn't hurt. Although I'm talking a very small amount here. I don't wanna rock the boat so to speak. Over cook it and have the clutch not fully engaging.

Steve the release bearing should have been replaced with the clutch kit.
Did you use genuin Honda fluid on the change ?
Tbo iv had a similar thing on mine and put it down to cold weather.
As yours when pulling away very gentle in 1st the car judders slightly like the clutch is not gripping correctly.
If I pull away with plenty of revs its fine

To be honest Brett, that's probably it. It much prefers a good boot as opposed to crawling in traffic :rolleyes: . Always has done. It's only happened four or five times in the last month and never before that. Let's hope it's the cold. I'll just keep an eye on it for now. Who knows, perhaps it'll go away :unsure: :lol: .

As for fluids etc, all major jobs and servicing I get done at Honda so no concerns over workmanship. Bexhill Honda are very good. I'm even considering in the future talking to them about this place. Seeing if they can become our southern answer to HH. I've nothing but positive words for them. In 4 years of ownership, I've been there a number of times for servicing MOTs and other work. They've done me freebies, discounts, great courtesy cars (and the odd old, purple FRV :huh: :lol: ) and we're all on first name terms there. They always ask how the Mrs and boy are (she was pregnant with the boy when we first went in there and they always remember us and chat to Otis etc). Car's always brilliant after work there.

Anyway, I digress. Long story short, I'm confident in the work that's been done, but am paranoid about clutch issues as my previous car had recurring clutch and gearbox issues, then the clutch went on the Accord 7K after I bought it. I always have a niggling doubt that there's something wrong with my clutch control. Hey ho. Will monitor and report if there's anything else that gets my attention.

Thanks for the input guys.

Good stuff steve I was concered myself but had a talk to Shabz and he said the same.
So lets see what it's like when the temp warms up btbo I think we have the same thing

Ive done a clutch on a 7th gen tourer before, issue with that was worn forks.

Judder is mostly due moisture on the clutch face, or glazed, or both. And the reason for it going after the car warms up is the moisture evaporates naturally. A clutch is not sealed alot of cars have access holes etc.

Good feedback Marcus thanks for this bro this answers the problem

Marcus, you're on fire tonight Dude :D . Thanks man.

....and what if the clutch pedal engages fairly high up??
***uming that the clutch hydraulics are fine i.e. nothing wrong with the clutch master cylinder or slave cylinder and that the fluid is ok....

Low biting point = fingers on the pressure plate are wearing (or worn forks)

High biting point = friction plate wearing

If your biting point is low then you're more likely to get judder because the release of the pressure plate will be more fierce. Also your flywheel might have some high spots from when the clutch went before. "Clutch kit" usually means the friction plate and pressure plate. It's usual practice to replace the thrust bearing at the same time, but not essential.

But the biting point should stay the same, if it's difficult to get into gear sometimes and not others and the biting point is normal, then it's the linkages.

If your biting point is moving, low and then normal, get the hydraulics checked. If that is ok, then the fingers or the forks are starting to wear.

Steve the release bearing should have been replaced with the clutch kit.
Did you use genuin Honda fluid on the change ?
Tbo iv had a similar thing on mine and put it down to cold weather.
As yours when pulling away very gentle in 1st the car judders slightly like the clutch is not gripping correctly.
If I pull away with plenty of revs its fine
Brett do you still have this judder when setting off in 1st, i am now experiencing this and want to get sorted, with the car been a taxi 2.2 I-DTEC 100k on clock its getting hard work in the York traffic had this for over 10k now, my clutch has got a high biting point but the clutch has a very smooth action miles better than my i-ctdi. Im getting a click every time i use clutch, that must be bearing but the biggest thing is the slight judder when moving off in 1st more revs and moves off better but this is getting hard work. would changing clutch sort the judder/hesitation when pulling away phoned local dealers thinking could be DMF they said never changed a DMF on I-DTEC any ideas fellas

My 6th gen has the issue of difficulty going into 1st and reverse, especially from cold, and the clutch often makes very squeaky noise that comes from the slave cylinder and shifty fork thingy area in the engine bay. I recently changed the gearbox fluid and it is a lot more smoother now! The squeaky noise probably needs greasing up.

I also get the same juddering when setting off in colder or damp weather, good to know it's just moisture and nothing to worry about.

Yeah, mine's been much better of late. Almost as if there was a dodgy spot on the clutch that's now worn through and it's all smooth again or something :rolleyes:

does sound like its a high point on the friction plate maybe.

does sound like its a high point on the friction plate maybe.

Correction, was a high point on the friction plate :lol:

All worn down smooth again now :rolleyes: