What's new

How far into the red do you go on the Fuel Gauge?

Stevearcade

TA Friend
Staff member
Reaction score
Car
2003 Accord CM2
Hi Guys,

My fuel light came on today so will be filling up on the way home from work, but I wondered, how far do you guys run in to the red. I'm mainly posing this to the 2.4 guys. Obviously, the fuel light probably means nothing to the diesel guys as they'll soldier on on fumes alone for 200 miles :lol: .

But seriously, I find the fuel gauge far from linear. I used to have a 2.0 golf diesel which was even as you like. You always knew what to expect. Quarter of a tank was quarter of a tank. The Accord is far from this. I'll fill up and drive 70 miles before the gauge moves. Then I'll do between 250 and 275 for the half way mark. But then it just drops away from me and I'm questioning whether I'll make 400 (I nearly always do ;) ). But it's like fuel tank gets narrower as it gets near the bottom.

So I've never had to confidence to drive much with the fuel light on, as the second half of the tank almost empties itself logarithmically if you know what I mean. I'm scared of it "putt-putting" out of fuel in the middle the road.

So how many sensibly driven miles do you reckon you can get after the fuel light comes on and before you hit rock bottom of the tank?

:)

:D Mines a 05 Tourer diesel so the tank may be slightly different, dont see why tho?, the book says there is 2.2 imp gallons left when the yellow fuel light comes on, so if you are averaging 45 to the gallon its approx 110 miles, my mate has the saloon version on a 56 plate so its a facelift, he reckons the light goes red eventually, not took it that far down tho so can anyone confirm this on the earlier 7th gens??.

Iv'e done an extra 55 miles from the light coming on' wouldn't want to risk running out tho, think of all the crud that will be sucked thro the system!!

you have 10 litres left in the tank... I do about another 50miles before filling up... but I have too never seen my light go red from orange...

I usually wait till the on board computer tells me I have 50 miles left before its empty then start to look for a Shell station and fill the car up. So I'd estimate that to be between 1 & 1.5 gallons left. That way I don't end up running it into the red and risk picking up any rubbish out of the fuel tank.

Why the ****ens do you lot play fuel Russian Roulette?

Agree the needle moves far from linearly (on a 2.2 D) so once it's getting below the half way mark - say to one third left - it's time to fill up.

I use the light as my MPG guide, reset the computer when it comes on and record the mileage done since putting fuel in. If you always put in the same amount of fuel you get a good average over time of miles to cost.

you have 10 litres left in the tank... I do about another 50miles before filling up... but I have too never seen my light go red from orange...

Me neither. does the car do this.???? I don't think so but i am not willing to be the one to find out. :lol:

lol well it does not say anything about it in the user manual.... and the Accord user manual is pretty comprehensive! lol

On the petrol cars where your filter is a really difficult item to service due to its location inside the tank.. I would suggest not letting it get that low as you're more likely to suck up the crap from the bottom of your tank and clog the filter.

At the end of the day, you're going to have to put fuel in it.. so why delay the inevitable.

I didn't think the light turned red. I just meant the red bit on the gauge. The light that comes on it Orange/Amber.

Anyway, filter hard to get to, don't let the fuel tank run too low. Noted. Good shout man. I tend to let it run low as I ***ume the lack of weight means I'll get some good mileage from that last bit of tank. But I'd rather carry a bit more late and not risk clogging the fuel filter.

Hi Guys,

My fuel light came on today so will be filling up on the way home from work, but I wondered, how far do you guys run in to the red. I'm mainly posing this to the 2.4 guys. Obviously, the fuel light probably means nothing to the diesel guys as they'll soldier on on fumes alone for 200 miles :lol: .

But seriously, I find the fuel gauge far from linear. I used to have a 2.0 golf diesel which was even as you like. You always knew what to expect. Quarter of a tank was quarter of a tank. The Accord is far from this. I'll fill up and drive 70 miles before the gauge moves. Then I'll do between 250 and 275 for the half way mark. But then it just drops away from me and I'm questioning whether I'll make 400 (I nearly always do ;) ). But it's like fuel tank gets narrower as it gets near the bottom.

So I've never had to confidence to drive much with the fuel light on, as the second half of the tank almost empties itself logarithmically if you know what I mean. I'm scared of it "putt-putting" out of fuel in the middle the road.

So how many sensibly driven miles do you reckon you can get after the fuel light comes on and before you hit rock bottom of the tank?

Well I have done countless fillups just about when the red warning light comes on. I try to NOT make a habit of this, however when I brim the tank at this point the most I've ever put is 57Litres. (I had one occasion where I did play petrolstation roulette and do a good 30miles+ after the red light came on and considering mine does a combined mpg of approx 27 cos i have bike bars permenently fitted which reduces my mpg so when I came to fill the car I was pleasantly surprised to put under 60L in the tank.) Anyhow with current fuel prices, 55L of unleaded is quite dear enough!!

There are only 2 100% correct reading on the fuel gauge and that's full and empty ;)
I always fill mine up just before the light comes on or when im near a shell garage.
This to me makes sense as i dont need to go out of my way to then fill up.

being a poor student means i see my light everyday... put ti this way... my light came on just after milton keynes which was a good 50 miles to my house... i drove like miss daisy with everything off and closed and well it made it...... so im guessing u can do 50+ when the orange light comes on... but it would be cool if it turned red... or the sat nav lady started to scream at you.... lol

You're a student with a 2.4 Type S?!!! :huh:

Not just any 2.4 type s either :lol:

I personally never let the fuel gauge drop below 1/4 of tank as when you start playing fuel roulette you will get the sediment from the bottom of your tank running thru the lines and clogging the filter ( and the diesels are very sensitive )
and you could also damage your injectors. In my opinion not worth the risk

LOL never ***ume students are poor. When I was 19 I had a Golf GTI Convertible, and it was minted too... oh AND I had a second car (a Polo for the weekdays) ;)