What's new

How much smoke on accelerating?

Accordial

Members
Reaction score
Car
2005 2.2 D Tourer
05 reg, done 136k, had new timing chain but not injectors at the same time. Has new MOT.

How much smoke would you expect on acceleration? Would you expect to be able to see it in the headlights of the car behind? Is this normal?

Thanks

05 reg, done 136k, had new timing chain but not injectors at the same time. Has new MOT.

How much smoke would you expect on acceleration? Would you expect to be able to see it in the headlights of the car behind? Is this normal?

Thanks

Yes this is quite normal for a diesel. As long as you cant really see smoke during daylight you should be ok. You will always see smoke under acceleration in headlights behind you, I had the same panic with my old Mondeo TDCI. Its quite normal.

They don't call us oil burners for nothing :lol:

I'm saying nothing

It's normal to see smoke in the cars headlights behind u under accerlation at night
But just check your air filter is not all blocked up cause restricted air intake can cause this too

It also seems to happen when the FSV is knackered, or its filter is clogged, as mine was smoking big time - especially post remap. Now that the new FSV's fitted (yesterday) it seems to have really cut down the smoke too, which is a relief!
Michael what does FSV stand for and what is the purpose of this item? Sorry i'm not up to speed to all the abbreviations lol

It also seems to happen when the FSV is knackered, or its filter is clogged, as mine was smoking big time - especially post remap. Now that the new FSV's fitted (yesterday) it seems to have really cut down the smoke too, which is a relief!

Fuel shutoff valve? (Fire service vehicle?)

http://acronyms.thefreedictionary.com/FSV

you know you are doing well when you have been grannying it for a few tanks, then booting it... even in broad daylight you can see a lovely cloud of soot :D....

eat that you petrol lovers...

Nothing to worry about though just excess soot from the exhaust being blown out.

None after my injectors were changed during the timing change work, b4 that mild under hard acceleration just visible in headlights

Steve

Michael what does FSV stand for and what is the purpose of this item? Sorry i'm not up to speed to all the abbreviations lol

Fuel shutoff valve? (Fire service vehicle?)

Frequency solenoid valve (worth wading through this thread - especially the last 4 pages: http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/topic/1127-slight-missing-or-hesitation-excessive-smoking-etc/

http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/topic/1240-imrc-frequency-solenoid-failure-dtc-p2004/page__pid__14089#entry14089 has the relevant Technical Service Bulletin (TSB), that refers to it.

wink.gif

you know you are doing well when you have been grannying it for a few tanks, then booting it... even in broad daylight you can see a lovely cloud of soot :D....

had a stereotypical z4 driver behind me for a bit, decided to smoke him proper from a standing start away from a junction.
the joys :lol: