What's new

How Rotten is Your Impact Bar?!

jsmith89

Members
Reaction score
Car
1.8 VTEC Sport
Since owning my 6th Gen I've noticed that every time I shut the boot it sounded like something was collecting inside the bumper, like gravel or something. So a few weeks ago when I was fitting my Sportex Back Box I noticed what was causing the noise.....

20160504_113100_zpsbnrew2zm.jpg

When I was underneath I looked up and saw that the Rear Impact Bar had completely rotted through, so much so that the bolts weren't actually holding the bar on, it was held on with a rizla's width of rot and a touch of magic.

20160504_113108_zpsst4ebpjj.jpg

20160504_113120_zpstiaj76l2.jpg

20160504_113134_zpso6bvgfwd.jpg

20160504_113139_zpsbooy3tyk.jpg

As I explained to the lads at Japfest, I live near Mildenhall and Lakenhealth U.S Airbases and they absolutely love the 6th Gen Accord, so much so that they are every other car on the roads around here. Just on my street alone there are 7, 6th Gen. This helps with spare parts, especially at the local scrap yard because its littered with 6th Gen Accord. So naturally I thought that getting a new impact bar would be easy, seeing as there is over 20 Accord's available to pick parts off of.

NO!! I was wrong. Completely wrong. Every bumper I took off had a completely rotted through rear impact bar underneath. It seems like a common problem because by the time I took off 18 rear bumpers I was getting bored! Finally the last car I took a bumper off of had a solid bar. It looks like the metal isn't treated against corrosion but the chassis, where the bar bolts on, was solid along with the welded threads.

IMG-20160415-WA0002_zpsgo5es0oy.jpeg

I wire brushed off the surface rust off and painted it with Hammerite to seal it. The bumper came off in 2 mins and the impact bar came off with a very weak tug (worrying).

20160504_114759_zpsgacxjpin.jpg

20160504_114809_zpsxtfan3my.jpg

A little bit of heat on the old nuts and a squirt of WD40 and 3 out of 4 nuts came off with relative ease, 1 thread snapped half way up but left enough to attach new nuts. Cleaned the threads up and reattached the new bar with new nuts. Finally reattached the bumper.

20160504_124518_zps8lz27kvg.jpg

Much better! Just worth checking fellow 6th Gen owners.

Hope this helps....

Joe

Are there any MOT fail implications if this is spotted during an MOT?

I had it on the ramps last week while having the tracking done and I asked the question about the MOT. He said as the bar isn't structural so it's not an MOT failure. He said if the Rot had started chasing down the chassis rails then it becomes an issue.

I think mine might be in similar state, few years back couple of rusty bits dropped off from under the bumper when I closed the bootlid!

Should have a look and inspect it really. Wonder if one from another car would fit.

exec said:
I think mine might be in similar state, few years back couple of rusty bits dropped off from under the bumper when I closed the bootlid!

Should have a look and inspect it really. Wonder if one from another car would fit.
I did try this at the scrap yard. I removed a bar off of a civic coupe and offered it up to a 6th gen. Bolt holes line up but due to the size of it the bumper won't fit over the top.