How To Insert Pictures To Threads

Stevearcade

TA Friend
Staff member
Reaction score
Car
2003 Accord CM2
Hi Guys,

For many new members this could be the first time you've joined a forum or you may be used to using forums that offer image hosting (something this forum's software doesn't). Therefore posting images may seem a bit awkward or confusing. No worries. We've all been there.

Inserting a picture of something you've seen on the internet

First, find the picture you wish to insert. You may already know where to find it, or you can use Google Image Search to find what you're after. E.g this picture of a nice red car I just found:

TAScreenShot2013-08-14at012119_zpsca421a3e.png

Right click on the picture and select "Copy Image Address"

Return to the post you're composing and click the "Insert Image" icon at the top of the reply box. It's the picture of a photo of a tree between the paperclip and envelop ;)

TAScreenShot2013-08-14at011335_zps763f9ce8.png

This will present you with the following dialogue box

TAScreenShot2013-08-14at011610_zpscd699a76.png

Copy and paste the URL of the picture you want to post in this dialogue box

I've done exactly this, and below is the picture of the US Spec Red Accord from the above example:

Honda-Accord_Coupe-2013-wallpaper.jpg

Job Done :)

But What About Photo's I've Taken Myself ?

When I first joined TA, I'd never used image hosting, so it was new to me too. After some time using image hosting, I'd recommend creating an account on Photobucket. It's free and allows you to upload lots of pictures for hosting on forums, facebook and so on.

Once you've signed up, you can upload pictures by clicking on the big orange "Upload" tabs. They put them everywhere, you can't miss them:

ScreenShot2013-08-14at013300_zpsa05c13a7.png

View your image library and organise the pictures into albums etc with the various navigation features:

ScreenShot2013-08-14at020256_zps6ee1d5a8.png

ScreenShot2013-08-14at013334_zpsb9878efe.png

ScreenShot2013-08-14at013315_zps8bf9fb3d.png

You can see in my example above, I've uploaded my screenshots I'm using for this walkthrough. Also notice there's an Edit Tab. You can add arrows and other graphics which are great should you wish to make a detailed, picture based DIY thread.

Once you've organised your pictures and are ready to roll, hover your mouse over the image you wish to insert on the forum and you'll see a cog with a drop down menu in the top right hand corner of the picture:

ScreenShot2013-08-14at013741_zpsfc90d7b8.png

Select "Get Links" and you'll see an option box like this:

ScreenShot2013-08-14at013924_zps1a36ef5e.png

Click on the IMG Codes and it will automatically copy the URL to your Copy & Paste clipboard. Then simply go to your post and Paste the code in.

That's how all the photos in this walkthrough are inserted ;)

A Few Of Things To Note

If you move your image in Photobucket, e.g. from one album to another, it will change the image's URL and thus the picture link will no longer work! Once linked, please leave it where it is.

The default for Photobucket is to provide both the image and a link (i.e. if you click on the image it opens a new tab in your browser that takes you to the Photobucket picture). If you don't want this to happen, you'll need to delete the text from the code Photobucket giv...t images :lol: ... :blush: I'll get my coat)

Good explain Steven;)

Nice one Steve, have a +1.

Another way to do it if you don't want to set up a PhotoBucket account is by using free hosting sites like tinypic:

http://tinypic.com/

So click the 'Choose File' button and select your image from your computer. Then hit 'UPLOAD NOW'

122gtfp.jpg

You'll get a Captcha screen to complete, then this:

6gbrih.jpg

So you copy the "IMG Code for Forums & Message Boards" (in tabs) to paste into your forum post, and that's it!

For information and for those of us who want to edit our posts directly, the correct forum code for posting an image is inside an 'open' and 'close' IMG tab, so the above example if you were to copy the "Direct Link for Layouts" address would be:

[im[b][/b]g]htt[b][/b]p://i41.tinypic.com/122gtfp.jpg[/i[b][/b]mg]

Thanks Trev. Some good advice from you there also. Nice one. Hopefully this thread will prove handy for new members who are new to forums and/or image hosting.

Mr Honda said:
How do I get the TA image/emoticon options to show on iPad??
For some reason its nether worked on any of my apple products.
It's ok on windows though.

I'm on Apple and have no problem with emoticons. I'm using Safari.

Just to be sure, because the emoticons are as straight forward as perhaps they could be. The emoticons toggle on/off into view at the bottom of the "Reply to this topic" pane/window. Click on the smiley face in the top row of edit/format options of the "Reply to this topic".

I don't really use the forum on my phone (which is a Samsung iOS thing). So couldn't say about that.

Tried all that Steve its seems only to effect my iPad and iPhone

Yeah I've no issue on desktops, just wondered if there was a way to use them on ipad, as I seem to use that more often than the laptop now....

For anyone wanting to post links to pictures on android go onto the image on your phone or device. Tap the share icon copy to clipboard then as your writing your post on ta hold your finger on a blank part of screen and paste will pop up click it and it should paste on screen. This works for htc 1 m8 other androids may be slightly different.

Photobucket have lost more than they gained with this move. It is quite interesting. i mean, who came up with the idea just suddenly change the service. Some notice to each member with what would happen in say 2/3 months would have been much better and would probably have lead to more people upgrading accounts due to having time to actually think about it. Now they have screwed people over and are having to make quick decisions to post images, hence just using another service.