What's new

I-CDTI Engine cuts out when accelareting

Yes it is pre face lift one with 5 gearbox.
Thank you for good advice, I bought filter today from honda dealer, paid £42,

My father got 2.0 petrol model from 2004, he is gonna change oli and filters soon. Do you think he should get genuine fuel filter too? Is it so important for petrol models or just in diesel?

Many thanks
Kamil

Changing the fuel filter in the petrol engines is a good idea but not a job for most mechanics. It might be better to leave it.

Hi F6HAD

I didn't change fuel filler yet but I saw something strange on my way to airport. I had cut outs on 2,3 and 4th gears when I pressed acceleration pedal fully but on the 5th gear when I had around 60mph and 2000rpm and I pressed it fully my rpms went up till 2700 car didn't speed up then rpm went down to 2100 and then car start accelerating, it was a seconds but,
I am afraid it might be something else than fuel filter, maybe clutch??

What do you think? Any others ideas?
I will start with changing fuel filter asap I come back from my holiday.

Kamil

Hi F6HAD

I didn't change fuel filler yet but I saw something strange on my way to airport. I had cut outs on 2,3 and 4th gears when I pressed acceleration pedal fully but on the 5th gear when I had around 60mph and 2000rpm and I pressed it fully my rpms went up till 2700 car didn't speed up then rpm went down to 2100 and then car start accelerating, it was a seconds but,
I am afraid it might be something else than fuel filter, maybe clutch??

What do you think? Any others ideas?

You have a slipping clutch yes

Sorry to begin pain and ask lots of questions,
So probably cut outs and slipping clutch are the same issue?
:(, is it necessary to change clutch and double mass flywheel together or check condition of dmf first and leave it when it's OK.
One of my friends told me that i can check dmf :
Put car on straight road, turn engine on, put 3rd gear and try move car loosing clutch pedal gently without accelerating pedal. . I tried it and my car is moving without any cracking noise and any problems.

Does it mean dmf is fine?

No you seem to have both unrelated issues, a fuel filter and a slipping clutch.

The only way to know if your DMF is shot is to remove the gearbox and check the flywheel for play. And stop listening to stupid friends that risk causing further damage to your transmission.

I have a 55 plate and the same problem.. fit a genuine Honda fuel filter and it cures this. The copy filters don't work properly.

Despite promising me he would fit a proper Honda filter, the garage fitted me a Crossland filter two years ago. Car recently took to cutting out sometimes at 4000 revs in 2nd and 3rd. Then it went into limp-home mode, so limp home I did. AA man came and diagnosed fuel pressure problems; I looked at the fuel filter noticed it wasn't Bosch and said I bet that's the problem. We were towed home (200 miles; yawn). New filter, now the car works fine. (Garage said "Well I'll try it for you if you really insist, but I've never heard of a fuel filter causing this sort of problem, Crossland are a good make. This is going to be expensive, we will start with changing the pressure sensor.")

I had noticed for months that when you red-line the car it reaches a point about 5000 revs where it stopped pulling very abruptly. New filter, it is a much softer tail-off for the torque curve at the top.

55 tourer with 175k.

Crossland are the poundshop equivalent. Definitely not a quality make!

Hi guys. I got a CEL yesterday on the highway while on full throttle with 5th gear. I lost gas response, but i didn't panic (i was doing 160kmh) just let the car roll on the right and when the engine revs dropped to 2200rpm's i got pedal response back and drove on. I connected my OBD bluetooth thingy and i got a fuel pump failure reading. Is this a fuel filter syptom or is my pump gone? Mind you i changed the fuel filter (to an OEM Honda) no more than 35.000km's ago.

What’s the specific error code that you got?

F6HAD said:
What’s the specific error code that you got?
I deleted it instantly. I had the fuel filter changed 2 days ago but hadn't had the chance to flat it again and see if tht was the problem.

Got the same error yesterday while on the Autobahn. https://imgur.com/a/LoZTV9k
Is this a sign that my fuel pump is slowly dying? I only had this CEL coming on twice under heavy acceleration, and one time the engine was jurky under normal driving circumstances to which i thought it was my fuel filter.

That’s not a fuel pressure error it’s an overboost error. Either egr is sticking open or vanes are jamming up

F6HAD said:
That’s not a fuel pressure error it’s an overboost error. Either egr is sticking open or vanes are jamming up
Looks like i'm screwed... or is this something any garage can do?

Needs some investigation to check what’s causing it. Yes any decent garage can check it

F6HAD said:
Needs some investigation to check what’s causing it. Yes any decent garage can check it
Thanks again. I will report back as soon as i got this thing sorted.