What's new

i-CTDi loss of power

mutley

Members
Reaction score
Car
2005 Accord i-CTDi
Our 55-reg Accord Tourer i-CTDI has a rather odd fault.

Background:

I use to drive it but now it's my wife's car. She complained that it didn't seem to have as much oomph as it used to, but it was hard for me to tell as I don't drive it much these days. Then once or twice it suffered a power loss after it had been left standing for a couple of days - car would start and run OK, set off OK, then after coming to a halt for the first time (eg at a junction) the engine wouldn't pick up (revs would stay at idle even though the throttle was floored. After a few seconds the engine would finally respond then we were away again.

I took the car to Fahad - he put his diagnostics on and identified an IMRC failure (big thanks to him for all his help :) ) , so I replaced the solenoid vavle on top of the engine. Last week we had the fuel filter changed with a genuine Honda part.

The car is still sluggish and in the last week there have been two more occasions when the engine has failed to respond to the throttle after the car has been left standing for 48hrs.

Any ideas? My next step was going to be to unplug the IMRC solenoid and see if we get a repeat of the engine pick-up problem (though it might take weeks to confirm that), but any thoughts would be appreciated.

Did it seem 100% OK (even temporarily) ) after replacing the solenoid valve and the fuel filter?

Have you recently had any current or historic error codes (DTCs) read off the ECU? I'm asuming that the ECU MIL isn't currently illuminating?

Maybe there's a fault with the IMRC itself that replacing the solenoid valve didn't cure? But I'm not sure why leaving the car for a couple of days would bring this on... unless it's a bit sticky, but I'm guessing.

What about a failing battery? If left for a couple of days it would have less charge and the alternator might be working a bit hard trying to charge it back up again.
Just a guess really but anything is possible

Steve, I do remember you - nice to see you posting here.

I would say now it's quite probably a sticking EGR valve mate.

Hi Fahad

If it is a sticking EGR valve would your "EGR off" remap sort that out?

Thanks

Steve

Yes in most cases as long as the valve isn't completely knackered. I remember when we can the functional tests the valve was still operating within thresholds so ***uming it still is, we should be able to keep it closed.

Hi all

An update for you. After reading this thread http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/topic/10477-no-boost/ I wonderd whether my problem might be the same. On the basis that there was little to lose I gave the waste-gate actuator a wiggle, sprayed some WD40 on the arm at the bottom then smeared a finger-full of grease on it. Took it for a quick Italian tune-up and it was pulling away in first and hitting the rev limiter in a couple of seconds, and so-on up through the range.

So, the problem is now solved and the car is running like it should, all thanks to the forum a bit of lube.

As background, my car has also had the exhaust manifold changed. Whether or not the grease on the turbo boost actuator got "cooked" during that process, or whether it was just old age is impossible to tell.

Also agree it sounds like a sticky ERG valve

I think you missed it Brett, Steve's fixed the problem! nice one and I think perhaps when removing the manifold if they heated any of the bolts, the heat transfer could have got on the actuator somehow and jammed it..

I think you missed it Brett, Steve's fixed the problem! nice one and I think perhaps when removing the manifold if they heated any of the bolts, the heat transfer could have got on the actuator somehow and jammed it..
:rolleyes: Yep i missed that one stupid iphone.
Glad its sorted though.