What's new

I refuse to pay £1170 for an intercooler ! Can anyone help...?

ship69

Members
Reaction score
Car
'08 i-DTEC EX man 5D
Hi

Last night I failed to see a steel bollard the John Lewis had put in the middle of car parking bays and managed to reverse into it as I turned the wheel. [I now *hate* John Lewis]

My local garage guys say that intercooler is now leaking air and I need to replace it. So I phoned the Oxford Honda dealership (Johnsons) and they told me they would charge me... wait for it... yes a full £1170.47 - just for the part!
(yes, its a full £1215.45 including VAT and fitting). IMHO that is absolutely outrageous [I now *hate* Johnsons Oxford]. I mean surely you could get one custom made for that sort of money!

- Any suggestions about where to get a cheaper one?

Fwiw, my car is a "HONDA ACCORD EX I-CTDI ESTATE 2204cc (2007) DIESEL"

J

You can try eurocarparts or ebay.

Someone else might be able to help on that (mine is the 2.4 petrol) but I'm a bit puzzled how "reversing" into a bollard can damage the intercooler ?

Honda really are gas with the prices they charge in fairness, for some parts & labour quoted you could almost buy a second hand honda and be better off.

Why not complain to John Lewis? my son-in-law ran over a broken bollard in Tesco's, they could not have been more helpful. "Get it fixed and then give us the bill" he did £1800, they paid him on the spot.

Someone else might be able to help on that (mine is the 2.4 petrol) but I'm a bit puzzled how "reversing" into a bollard can damage the intercooler ?

^ :lol: I wondered that too.

But seriously, that's a lot of money. I've just checked on LINGS and the part is indeed £1170.47, so there's nothing your Honda Garage can do really. That's the price of the stock Honda part, it's what it would cost them to get it and so I don't think they're trying to rip you off.

But totally agree it's a bonkers price when you can get something rather bling like this for £175 :blink: .

Seems to me like a perfect excuse to go big, badboy, front mounted intercooler :D . From where I'm typing, I'd say it's your only cost effective choice ;) . (Maybe throw in a digital boost adjuster while you're at it ;) ).

Honda really are gas with the prices they charge in fairness, for some parts & labour quoted you could almost buy a second hand honda and be better off.

This is true, you could buy a scrapped accord to match yours for the price. Have you considered a breakers yard?

Try this for £49

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HONDA-ACCORD-I-CTDI-2003-2005-2-2-INTERCOOLER-127000-0550-/321048234971?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4abff74bdb

It's for a 2003-2005 (might be up to 2007). I know that he also has other parts that he doesn't have time to list. He has the Honda parts catalogues for everything Honda on DVD's, so he can cross-check your car (the year your car is made is in your VIN, don't go by your number plate e.g. mine is 54 plate but it was made in 2003 on the VIN).

Phone him up and ask him, I've been to his place in Stratford for parts for my car. I told him about this forum. Mention this forum and my name (freddofrog/Brian), though that won't get you a discount :lol:

Sebastian is his name, Polish, seems a decent chap. His number is in the ebay ad.

EDIT: btw he buys the cars from auctions then strips them down

^ PS ... Moderators.

He might want to advertise in the bottom listing areas of the forum if you contact him.

Guys, stop with the sensible advice. Let's get some phat front mounted intercooler action :lol: . Nah, some good suggestions above.

http://www.funkypower.co.uk/catalogue.php?make=HONDA&model=ACCORD&year=03%2B+ACCORD&level1=FORCED+INDUCTION&level2=INTERCOOLER&level3=UNIVERSAL+INTERCOOLERS&man=

Get one from funky power, you might also buy more mods while you are there as you will have change from £300 new

^ thank you :lol: ! Someone else going the after market FMI route ;) .

Yes, but it ultimately means more power right ;)

Hmmm, you know maybe this could all boil down to you being better off with a 2.4 petrol over a 2.2 diesel :p (hides behind sofa as the mud slinging starts :lol: ). Just kidding ;)

Hmmm, you know maybe this could all boil down to you being better off with a 2.4 petrol over a 2.2 diesel :p (hides behind sofa as the mud slinging starts :lol: ). Just kidding ;)
Maybe when 'red petrol' becomes as readily available as red diesel I'll think about it.
..just joking!

If your in Oxford come to Allparts in abingdon and come and see me ill see what i can do for you.

In all seriousness that is a ridiculous price, and in my opinion damaging to Honda as a brand. When you consider that owners of that upmarket expensive brand BMW can buy a genuine BMW intercooler for about £250, it makes you wonder what the ******** Honda are playing at. Taking the pi$$ is the phrase that springs to my mind.

Sorry for delay - I was away.

OK Honda tell me that the part number for the Intercooler on my 2007 Honda is "19700RBDE02". I called Ryan at AllParts but he couldn't help. I have found a second hand part outfit that he recommended (ASM Thame) and they have found me a second hand Intercool for a 2005 2.2L diesel that apparently has the same engine code as my car. Unfortunately ASM Thame dont use the Honda part numbering system. Do we think that is likely to fit my 2.2L diesel 2007 Honda Accord?

> In all seriousness that is a ridiculous price, and in my opinion damaging to Honda as a brand.

I *totally* agree. Bl**dy Honda. What idiots. I originally bought my Honda mainly because of their reliability record, but with part prices like that, when things do go wrong - as inevitably they will eventually - the prices for parts are so *catastrophic* that on balance, IMHO, Honda is not a brand worth owning. Not unless you go for non-Honda &/or second hand parts - but with all the uncertainty that that involves, why not go elsewhere? I also have to say that if you go to a honda dealer the whole servicing/maintenance experience is both extremely expensive and pretty irritating. It's the sort of place that you aren't even allowed to have a sensible conversation with the mechanic that actually fixed your car. So far I have kept all the formal servicing with my local Honda dealer in case I need to sell the car but every time I do so, I come away I feel ripped off, and patronised. As well as being GROSSLY expensive for both parts and labour, every single thing happens by the rulebook, with zero flexibility. To be honest, having been a great advocate initially, bit by bit I am starting to regret ever buying a Honda.

Sorry for delay - I was away.

OK Honda tell me that the part number for the Intercooler on my 2007 Honda is "19700RBDE02". I called Ryan at AllParts but he couldn't help. I have found a second hand part outfit that he recommended (ASM Thame) and they have found me a second hand Intercool for a 2005 2.2L diesel that apparently has the same engine code as my car. Unfortunately ASM Thame dont use the Honda part numbering system. Do we think that is likely to fit my 2.2L diesel 2007 Honda Accord?

yes

You could check if Holdcroft Honda could do a better price for you, but £1,200stg is :eek:

Please don't think I'm disagreeing for the sake of it, but this 2.2 iCTDi engine (in both N22A1 and N22A2 versions) is used in several different Honda vehicles (i.e. Civic & CR-V) which have quite different bodywork shapes... I'm worried that the intercooler mounting (and even shape) might be specific to the vehicle application?

afaik, 19700RBDE01 is applicable to 04/05 models and .....E02 is the latter ;)

http://www.lingshondaparts.com/honda_car_parts_selection.php?block_01=17SEA01&block_02=B__0505&block_03=2847