What's new

Ignition barrel disaster

Shiresy

Members
Reaction score
Car
06 Accord Tourer
Ok I went to the car this morning and when I tried to put the key in the ignition it was very tight, with some wiggling and a bit of effort it eventually went in but I cannot turn it to start the car, I have been told the barrel may have collapsed inside, so I am now waiting for a auto locksmith to get back to me.

One of my Citroen barrels died on me and the garage that replaced it said it was common when parking with the wheels on full lock then letting the suspension down.

Channel Hopper said:
One of my Citroen barrels died on me and the garage that replaced it said it was common when parking with the wheels on full lock then letting the suspension down.
more likely the cheese from which Simplex manufactured the locks

Shiresy said:
Ok I went to the car this morning and when I tried to put the key in the ignition it was very tight, with some wiggling and a bit of effort it eventually went in but I cannot turn it to start the car, I have been told the barrel may have collapsed inside, so I am now waiting for a auto locksmith to get back to me.
I wonder which company makes the locks for Honda

Don't know who makes the Honda ones but I rang Honda for a price, they quoted me £458 for the barrel plus £90 to fit and another £50 to code it up, plus I have to go there with ID and the V5 to order it and when it comes I can't take it away they have to fit it, oh and even more £££ as I have to get the car recovered from here to the dealership.

That price is outrageous. It would be cheaper to take the internals from a wrecked car and use that to rebuild your barrel. All the bits to make your key fit are inside your broken barrel and any locksmith should be able to construct that for you.

Or just get a replacement steering lock ***embly (with key) from a breaker's , and then get Honda to recode it

part numbers for your car are here
http://www.lingshondaparts.com/honda_car_parts_selection.php?block_01=17SED601&block_02=B__1101&block_03=700&block_05=hcr

item 1 is the complete set of locks (steering, door lock, glove compartment, Tourer boot floor) £1,134
item 2 is the steering lock £404

the door lock http://www.lingshondaparts.com/honda_car_parts_selection.php?block_01=17SED601&block_02=B__5310&block_03=700&block_05=hcr

glove compartment http://www.lingshondaparts.com/honda_car_parts_selection.php?block_01=17SED601&block_02=B__3716&block_03=700&block_05=hcr

Tourer boot floor http://www.lingshondaparts.com/honda_car_parts_selection.php?block_01=17SED601&block_02=B__3960&block_03=700&block_05=hcr

I might be stating the obvious but have you tried WD 40 in the lock. It's worked for me in the past, squirting it on the key and in the lock and putting the key in & out and gently wriggling it.

Yes tried the wd40 and anything else we could get our paws on just had a friend of a friend here who is a ex green flag technician he had a go,at it with the lube and cleaner he got it free but it won't turn, he has put me on to someone who can rebuild it with new wafers, he also told me that he was called out to about 6 a month when he worked for green flag with the same problem and they were all accords.

If you need to have a stop-gap measure, you can strip out the barrel so you can start the engine (ie. any key will turn it), and rely on the transponder for security.

Shiresy said:
he also told me that he was called out to about 6 a month when he worked for green flag with the same problem and they were all accords.
those would be 6th gens, comes up many times in the 6th gen section

Richard B said:
If you need to have a stop-gap measure, you can strip out the barrel so you can start the engine (ie. any key will turn it), and rely on the transponder for security.
good point, very good point, I totally forgot that I did that a couple of times on Simplex steering locks in Citroens

I think I have dealt with that place in Birmingham before Brian I got a high pressure hose from there, anyway I have a auto locksmith coming this evening he is going to rebuild the barrel and do all the necessary work for 100 plus vat, quite a substantial saving on the Honda quote

Right lads the job is done the barrel is rebuilt and back in and is nice and smooth, however when the locksmith was dismantling he encountered a problem, the steering lock mechanism was stuck solid as if it had been pushed inside the housing, this proberbly occurred when I pursuaded the key into the ignition, so as of now I have no steering lock but the ignition switch is working perfectly, yes I am aware that no steering lock will result in a MOT failure, I have 10 months left on the MOT so I have some breathing space to,sort it out, but thanks to freddofrog finding that steering lock mechanism it can be done I have snapped it up, the locksmith looked at it first and said get it now as I would be hard pushed to get one for that money, he is going to swap my mechanism over with the one I got off eBay but put my barrel into it and the immobiliser from my car on and re install it .very happy

Shiresy said:
I am aware that no steering lock will result in a MOT failure
I think that a faulty steering lock would be a failure, but no steering lock at all would not be a failure, it's not compulsory to have a mechanism that prevents the column from rotating

Yes Brian bit of a grey area this one, I have a friend who is a mot tester and he said it would fail on the steering lock, but they don't always check so it's a bit of a risk, not sure on if it's not present as mine is totally gone it had to be drilled out, but I read it somewhere whereas if there is a mechanism there to activate the lock then it has to function if it doesn't then it's a instant failure, on most cars ours included, the mechanism that activates the steering lock happens when you remove the key, it makes a slight click clunk, that's the lock primed, so,then it has to function, there's a lot of ins and outs on this one my mechanic said it wouldn't be a problem but I looked at it a different way, what about when I come to sell the car and the perspective buyer realises there's no lock in there they would think the car had been stolen at some point and joyridden before being returned to the rightful owner, so for the sake of 30 odd quid and the 40 to fit it I might as well get it done then it's right.

Again thanks to you Brian for finding the part I needed.

I take your point about selling the car, I would have serious doubts about buying a car that didn't have a steering lock that worked, for the very reason you state.

On the MOT itself, it says "It is acceptable for a steering lock to be removed if it has been replaced with another immobilisation device"
http://www.ukmot.com/manual/2.1/Steering-Control

But that is vague and ambiguous, "immobilisation device" could either mean the electronic immobiliser, or, it might mean a mechanical device (e.g. crooklock/hooklock) . Either way it's bizarre to put it in the MOT but then state that it can be removed.

Strange the first thing that came into my head was the word "Crooklock" when I read that article I think I am taking the best path on this one

Shiresy said:
Strange the first thing that came into my head was the word "Crooklock" when I read that article I think I am taking the best path on this one
yeah I agree, a Crooklock is a nuisance to use, only useful to pass an MOT LOL

freddofrog said:
On the MOT itself, it says "It is acceptable for a steering lock to be removed if it has been replaced with another immobilisation device"
http://www.ukmot.com/manual/2.1/Steering-Control
That's ridicules ! Who the hell makes these rules up. The MOT is supposed to be about making sure the car is roadworthy not if it's got a security device fitted.

Ned said:
That's ridicules ! Who the hell makes these rules up. The MOT is supposed to be about making sure the car is roadworthy not if it's got a security device fitted.
apparently it's an EU rule

Ned said:
I feel the same with those three silly yellow lights above the fuel gauge.