What's new

Improving performance on the 2.0?

tbourner

TAF Member
Reaction score
Car
Abarth 595
My brother's interested in getting a bit more performance out of his Accord, it's a pre facelift 2.0 Sport I think. Is there anything realistically that does any good? I know you can change filters and stuff but isn't it like 1 or 2 BHP?
I don't think "px for a 2.4" is really an option either :D .

A good body kit should give him about 30BHP ;).

Not much else to do on the 2 litre IIRC.

I don't think there are any obvious things without spending crazy money. I've not heard of the 2.0 being remapped, although it may have been, I could be wrong. I guess you're looking at engine stuff, port polish, valve widening, air intake, outlet manifold, exhaust, sports cat. It would probably be cheaper to buy a 2.4 from a breakers and replace the engine :lol:. But I bet if he just modified the ride and brakes, it would make the world of difference to the feel of the car. Would feel much more sporty.

When I had a 2.0 I didn't bother doing any mods to the performance. 145 bhp isn't a rocket. so upgrading to a type s 2.4 or going to a civic(type s or r) would get a jump in power. then thats a good starting block to modify. But in my 2.0 i had a great sound system and sub in the boot. so i spent my money on that rather than performance. ;)

SUPER CHARGER :rolleyes: be the 1st one hear to do it ;)

SUPER CHARGER :rolleyes: be the 1st one hear to do it ;)

Oh yes while he is at it add a turbo to it too. can't beat a supercharged and turbo charged honda accord. good for a million bhp but were not sure exactly! ;)

The K20A6 is an economy spec engine, not much you can do with it other than bolt ons. Still an intake and exhaust can make is sound awesome B)

I've mentioned suspension and brakes, and maybe some breathing apparatus. He's only just found the i-VTEC as well, so going above 4K rpm helps.

a cone filter will make the vtec sound a whole lot better too, gives the impression of going quicker. why not get a 2.4? you said its not viable but why? i was 20 with a crash, 3 points, and 1 years ncb and insurance was 50quid more than the 2.0

You can tune the 2.0 but the gains are very small and it's a very involved job (ECU split open etc).

I'd tell him to sell up and buy a 2.4 or diesel for any real gains or maybe try a typhoon for a few extra horses..