What's new

Interested in purchasing, would appreciate advice

Pilot

Reaction score
Car
Bus
Hi,

I was looking for an Accord forum on google so I could get some advice before I get Accord, and here I am :p

I looked at some brief reviews on other websites on this specific gen Accord and there are some negatives and positives about them. From what I gathered apparently the diesel engine ones are less reliable and have some common faults with time chains and drive chains or something like that, where as the petrol 2.0 is the ideal Accord?

Personally, this will be my second car, right now I have a 05 Polo 1.2 Petrol, and I was looking to get away from a Petrol car, just because I don't like the way Petrol cars behave if it makes sense. Basically I drove diesels before and they felt much better, so thus now looking at those reviews it's tempting to go for that 2.0 Petrol Accord just because it's more reliable? Is there any truth to that or no...because I really want to invest into the best possible version of 7th gen accord which would be reliable enough for me to even go for a trip across Europe and not have issues. Other than that, I don't put that many miles yearly, perhaps 7K at the most excluding the possibility of going to Europe.

So key things I'd like to know is...

Which 7th Gen Accord is in theory best and what are they key things I should know about Hondas and Accords? Right now I am putting a budget together and I don't want to spend more than £3000 on it, as I'd rather do some DYI with it once I get it.

I appreciate comments in advance, thanks :)

I'm biased, as I own one, but I'd say the best is the 2.4 Tourer! ;)

You've probably summed things up fairly well. The 2.2 iCDTI is a great engine, better than many of its rivals, but like most modern diesels there's a reasonable probability that you'll have to deal with one or two known common faults. They're no major issue on the 2.2, many people here have documented good fixes that haven't cost big money. But considering your mileage is sub 10K a year, I'd be going straight to petrol personally.

The 2.0 and 2.4 are both solid, the 2.0 being arguably more reliable. The 2.4 can suffer warped drive shafts and although very subjective, they are considered by some to get through their clutches a little quickly! These could be attributed to the higher torque rating of the 2.4 perhaps?

From what I've heard, the 2.4 is a smoother, more refined feeling engine, but the 2.0 is still a great engine and I'd imagine the 2.0 would feel great compared to your current car.

If you can stomach the road tax and higher insurance, do look at the 2.4 as you can pick them up for peanuts (seriously! I've seen them before for less than £2K with under 100K on the clock) as no one wants a large petrol engine right now! Failing that, your original plan of the 2.0 is bang on the money in my opinion.

Get shopping and by all means ask us for buying advice with links to cars for sale on Auto Trader etc.

I recently sold my 05 reg diesel accord. Never had an issue and the engine ran and still does run spot on without chain issue. Owned the car for over 7 years

All down to having the right oil.

If you're planning a road trip then I would go for the diesel personally, both for the economy and the mile soaking ability with effortless torque.

But agree with Steve if you're doing 10k miles or less then go for the 2.4

I made the switch from my 06 Polo 1.2 to a 2.2d Accord. I'm incredibly impressed with it and the motorway miles I've done so far have been effortless and more calm.

I'd love a 2.4 believe me, but I am a driver just for the second year, thus insurance would be sky high, it will still be around 2K for a 2.0 and that's as far as I am willing to go really.

Having a polo right now I pay around 1K, but I just can't see myself driving anymore because it's too weak it feels like driving a motorbike with a body around it, plus I am just about done with VW's or german cars in general as I heard good things about Japanese cars. I am just looking for a good alternative and reliable car that is suitable for short and long hauls time to time. I mean in general there IS no perfect car, every car will and/or might have some issues eventually but still there are better and worse, so somehow I started looking at Accord's since they seem decent.

I was driving 7g with all wartions of engine and I would never swap my 2.4 for 2.0 or 2.2 diesel. Its's the best engine you can get and almost the same same fuel economy to less powerd 2.0.

Like I said, I do not doubt that, but insurance costs at 2K+ just for the 2.0 I cannot push that far as much as I'd want that.

I bought the 2 litre facelift, it has slight different engine parts compared to the preface lift as it is the k20z2, basically you get slight more torque so better fuel economy... I use to own a e46 330d, but parts & labour and rust problems were costing me a small fortune in maintaining it, then I bought a mk4 golf gttdi, I sold that as I was doing too many short journeys and was not good for the engine/turbo, was getting all carboned up...so then I bought the facelift accord (56 plate) from a honda tech, it has been the most reliable car I have ever had, I also was surprised by the economy, I can easily get over 40mpg on a run... But I do regret that I should have bought a 2.4, as from what I've heard the economy isn't too bad on them,

:p I'm old and boring...but have the 2.4 Touring like Steve! I haven't been on for a while...because the car has been so reliable!. Done 8k since I bought it. 1 service and I've upgraded to basic Pagid pads and Brembo Discs on front! Tidy too! That's it. Couple of longish runs last 2 weeks..300 miles+ and averaging 33-34 at a good 70-80. It's auto so not complaining.

Incredibly relaxed car to drive. No issues with alternator so far, and no diesel manifold issues for me! Heated electric seats, sat nav and sunroof! CD! Perfect

Long runs only because bought BM 330CI MSport convertible for weekend jaunts. Similar spec to the Accord as I like the toys!!

I can honestly recommend the 2,4 if you can nail one, pre facelift I think , up to 55 reg, like mine! Lower tax. Bargains are out there. Get a saloon if you don't need the Tourer! Manual if you can find one. Alternatively, a Type S!!

Jon