What's new

Is it worth buying a 6th Gen

Eldarvanyar

Members
Reaction score
Car
Renault
Hi,

Looking at Autotrader there are some really nice 6th Gen Accords coming up well below £1k.

I am particularly interested in a 2.0 Auto Executive Model. Are the 1.8 Sports worth considering they seem better on fuel and cheaper road tax.

Are the 6th Gen still worth buying?

I remember work colleagues who drove them as company cars whilst I was driving a Peugeot 406 mile muncher. I was always impressed with their Hondas.

One of my friends had to scrap a very nice one in 2004 due to the auto gear box failing. Are the autos to be avoided?

It would be my first entry into Honda, I could very easily go for a 7th Gen but the nostalgia of a 6th Gen is getting to me.

Any thoughts and advice very welcome

:)

I was offered a Civic petrol estate as a company car in 1999. My impression was that it was a very revvy engine and this would become annoying within about 50 miles of motorway. I took another Japanese marque in 2 litre petrol which was lovely for the first six months and then things started breaking with increasing regularity, not always my fault.

Take whatever you desire for a long test drive, offer to pay for the fuel and a pub lunch as this helps immensely.

You should find out if the car is for you in about three hours.

An Auto car will be fine but they usually gets taxed more if its after 2001 registered, If you are after an executive... they can be had for cheap and its alot of car for your money but do keep an eye on the history and check for any rust on them. Check also the bulkhead.

I had a 1.8 Sport and the fuel was good enough, tax wise, if its after 2001, expect to pay via emissions which will cost you more whereas before 2001 will be on engine size. I do recommend a 6G Accord 100% as I am a huge fan, just thoroughly inspect it before parting with the cash. They are great cars :)

I've recently got a 1.8 sport and I think it's fantastic. I would recommend one for sure. Not too bad on fuel either imo given the size of the thing.Not fast but has a fantastic revvy engine and is flexible.

A executive has more goodies than a sport like cruise control/fogs and sunroof etc.

As said do check them for rust issues,in and around the front sub frame mounts and on the bulkhead are very common and can be very costly to get sorted.

Thanks guys,

I saw a lovely looking 1 owner sport on Auto trader low mileage etc but when I looked at the DVLA MOT History it kept mentioning corrosion in various places over the last 4-5 years, so I think it may be in trouble.

Any advice or opinions on hatch or saloon? I prefer the look of the saloon.

Thanks again

If your not looking For the thrills of a type r and leaning more towards the extra toys etc then the type v could be a good bet. They came with either the 2.0 or 2.3 litre engine.
Beautiful interiors and smart cars - seen a few low milers recently going cheap
Corrosion is always an issue to be looked for, especially rear arches and as already mentioned - the bulk head

Eldarvanyar said:
Thanks guys,

I saw a lovely looking 1 owner sport on Auto trader low mileage etc but when I looked at the DVLA MOT History it kept mentioning corrosion in various places over the last 4-5 years, so I think it may be in trouble.

Any advice or opinions on hatch or saloon? I prefer the look of the saloon.

Thanks again
Glad you are looking at the MOT history, I do it on every car I buy as its important, if it has an advisory for rust, walk away in my opinion. They need TLC and many are neglected and has never seen underseal. Mileage doesn't matter but regardless of whether its high or low miles, check if it has reciepts and books stamped of any service history.

I am a saloon fan myself, but hatches are nice too. There is a 6G Accord to suit all needs anyway, Exec... Sport... Type-R... Type-V and the normal S/SE ;)

I'm currently selling my 2.0 executive auto, well struggling since no one seems interested :(

I think there will be some man tears when it finally does go

Shuthan said:
Glad you are looking at the MOT history, I do it on every car I buy as its important, if it has an advisory for rust, walk away in my opinion. They need TLC and many are neglected and has never seen underseal. Mileage doesn't matter but regardless of whether its high or low miles, check if it has reciepts and books stamped of any service history.

I am a saloon fan myself, but hatches are nice too. There is a 6G Accord to suit all needs anyway, Exec... Sport... Type-R... Type-V and the normal S/SE ;)
One Type V failed in 2015 in its MOT History said this

• Reason(s) for failure

Offside Front Body or chassis has excessive corrosion, seriously affecting its strength within 30cm of the body mountings (6.1.B.2)

• Reason(s) for failure

Offside Front Body or chassis has excessive corrosion, seriously affecting its strength within 30cm of the body mountings (6.1.B.2)

Another Type V failed over 4 years with the following

Reason(s) for failure
    Nearside Front Lower Suspension arm has excessive play in a ball joint (2.4.G.2)
    Offside Front Inner Vehicle structure has excessive corrosion which adversely affects braking or steering wing (6.1.A.1)
    Nearside Front Inner Vehicle structure has excessive corrosion which adversely affects braking or steering wing (6.1.A.1)
    Advisory notice item(s)
    Oil leak ()
    Nearside Front chassis corroded
    Offside Front chassis corroded
    Rear Sub-frame corroded but not seriously weakened (2.4.G.1)

Reason(s) for failure
Nearside Subframe mounting prescribed area is excessively corroded (2.4.A.3)
Nearside Inner Subframe mounting prescribed area is excessively corroded sill (2.4.A.3)

Reason(s) for failure
Nearside Front Vehicle structure has excessive corrosion, seriously affecting its strength within 30cm of the body mountings (6.1.B.2)
Offside Front Suspension component mounting prescribed area is excessively corroded (2.4.A.3)

Is this a common problem in the 6th Gen?

• Reason(s) for failure

Nearside Front Lower Suspension arm has excessive play in a ball joint (2.4.G.2)
    Offside Front Inner Vehicle structure has excessive corrosion which adversely affects braking or steering wing (6.1.A.1)
    Nearside Front Inner Vehicle structure has excessive corrosion which adversely affects braking or steering wing (6.1.A.1)

• Advisory notice item(s)

Oil leak ()
    Nearside Side repeater slightly discoloured (1.4.A.2f)
    Offside Side repeater slightly discoloured (1.4.A.2f)
    Nearside Front chassis corroded
    Offside Front chassis corroded
    Rear Sub-frame corroded but not seriously weakened (2.4.G.1)
    Nearside Rear Anti-roll bar linkage has slight play in a ball joint (2.4.G.2)
    Offside Rear Anti-roll bar linkage has slight play in a ball joint (2.4.G.2)

They're quite old now. I imagine it'll be hard to find one for sale without significant rot problems (either current or repaired, which may just be a cover-up)... went to a show last year and there was a really nice looking 6th Gen, unfortunately for the owner a knowledgeable guy wandered up and pointed out the poor condition of the bulkhead.

Jon_G said:
went to a show last year and there was a really nice looking 6th Gen, unfortunately for the owner a knowledgeable guy wandered up and pointed out the poor condition of the bulkhead.
was that at Castle Combe ?

freddofrog said:
was that at Castle Combe ?
Indeed it was. I felt the owner had no idea about the severity of the problem until it was pointed out to him... shortly afterwards he got rid of it and bought a 7th gen. Then found a massive corrosion problem on that!

Jon_G said:
They're quite old now. I imagine it'll be hard to find one for sale without significant rot problems (either current or repaired, which may just be a cover-up)... went to a show last year and there was a really nice looking 6th Gen, unfortunately for the owner a knowledgeable guy wandered up and pointed out the poor condition of the bulkhead.
Don't think it'll be that hard, there's still plenty about. My bulk head looks new, but did have slight corrosion picked up on one of the front chassis legs on its last mot - but only slight as I have a very picky tester. But has since been treated and under sealed.

Anything that has an advisory for rust, I would walk away. I do agree they need TLC as they get older and older.... underseal is a must and if possible, keep them away from winter roads and the nasty salt as much as you can, they are the huge killer, but lets all keep as many 6G Accords on the roads :D

Jon_G said:
You had to have your moment, didn't you?

Probably a bit biased but the 6th gen is fantastic, I bought mine and planned to keep for only 2 years at the most, have had it for ~7 years now, always get tempted to buy and try something else, but the cars always puts a smile on my face and is now part of the family so find it impossible to get rid.

Mine is very very clean underneath, its spent inland all its life and I thought it was completely spotless, until power jetwashing the arches revealed a rotted out driver side footwell!, There is a hole, was absolutely gutted when I disovered it and I still haven't fixed it as I don't really know what to do with it. It's going to cost a lot of money to put right. But I may well do it as rest of the car is pretty spotless, the rear crash bar is probably rotted out but easily replaced.

They are really good cars but as said getting on a bit now, so you may have to throw a bit of cash around to replace wear and tear items.