What's new

Is my 2004 2.4 worth 4k?

Swervin Mervin

Members
Reaction score
Car
Jazz
Black tourer, Mint, FSH, 60k

I fancy a change....is £4k a realistic expectation?

VTEC3-1.jpg

VTEC9.jpg

VTEC5.jpg

I would have thought you could expect that easily! This should give you some idea http://www4.autotrader.co.uk/search/used/cars/honda/accord/postcode/tw107ah/radius/200/price-to/5000/maximum-age/up_to_7_years_old/price-from/3000/transmission/automatic/sort/priceasc/body-type/estate/maximum-mileage/up_to_60000_miles

I sold mine, 2003 with 73k on it for £3650 three months ago, the same cars that were on sale then are on sale now, so that might be an indication that the market is "slow". MIne was advertised for a good while and eventually the man who bought it got a good deal, in my mind! £4k seems fair, but it's only worth what someone wants to pay unfortunately, good luck if you do go ahead with the sale

Andy that's a lovely car mate hope you get the price you want.
By the way iv just cleaned up your double post ;)

Yep yours is a great example, but the going rate on Autotrader seems to be £3k to £3.5.

And yet from wider perspective 4k is a giveaway for a car of this quality - what else would you get for that? But many people want small and frugal nowadays.

I think it's 'worth' it mate.. it's a lot of car for the money, but I don't think you'll end up achieving it. As Cliff says, it's really a buyers market and this sort of car really only appeals to a limited market. I'll be selling mine in the coming weeks so I guess I'll find out how tough it is to get what you want for your pride and joy.

Best of luck.

Thanks for the replies guys. Hmmm, I don't know what to do. I don't really wanna take much of a hit on it, I bought it back in June for a tad over 4k.

Much as I like the 'solid dependability' of the Honda it's just lacking a certain something for me.

I am actually considering replacing it with this, 3.6 Litres of AMG loveliness...

89466241.jpg

I love Accords fella but I'm not gonna pretend they're in the same league as that beauty.

Yeh, though it is a difficult formula to work out.

2004 Honda vs 1998 Merc

The Merc is a lovely thing indeed, wafts along nicely but has some serious shove if required, and I really like driving a car that most people haven't got a clue but those in the know recognise it as a bit special.
My old Audi S6 was like that but drank petrol for fun, wheras I'm not sure there will be a MASSIVE difference between the 3.6 in the Merc and the 2.4 in my bus.

I guess it depends what you want...for me reliability is king and nobody will ever beat Honda on that front which is why I'll always stay with them...but prestige and performance-wise that Merc is a winner.

And it looks like if you own a Merc you're allowed to park on double yellow lines! :lol:

I think it's 'worth' it mate.. it's a lot of car for the money, but I don't think you'll end up achieving it. As Cliff says, it's really a buyers market and this sort of car really only appeals to a limited market. I'll be selling mine in the coming weeks so I guess I'll find out how tough it is to get what you want for your pride and joy.Best of luck.

Are you moving up to an 8th gen?

Well hopefully I'll be 'moving up' to something but the 8th gen isn't on my wish list... But you don't always get what you wish for lol

If you were selling that in my neck of the woods on the south east coast, you'd probably be able to put it up for £6K prepared to take between £5K to £5.5K after some haggling. That's very tidy looking indeed. I've seen a 2.4 exec tourer with 60K on the clock sell for £7.5K in the last year! Although I think that's a little too high really.

I bought mine for £5.5K with 33K on the clock 2 and a half years ago. I could still sell it for that (now with 50K on the clock) given the market in these parts. Going north, I doubt I'd be able to get quite as much. But yours is lovely mate, really tidy looking. I have the same alloys as you, but the paint's all flaking and bubbling around the middle of each wheel <_< .

Anyway, good luck with the sale Dude. It would be nice to see you stay with Honda, but I'd fully understand if you went German. Germany, Sweden and Japan are in my opinion the car manufacturing nations worth bothering with if you're the least bit interested in both reliability and performance.

:)

Steve - why not find him a buyer and take some commission ;) Win-Win

Cars up north do seem to be worth a lot more... been to a few auctions not so long ago in search of a BMW 320d and they were going for stupid prices at my local auction (Brighouse) whereas the further south you go, towards London you can pick up some real cheap ex company car bargains...

anyway a bit off topic but good luck with the sale mate, just got to wait for the right buyer... :)

Errr... unless I'm missing something... Eastbourne is Sussex.. not much more country left after that :lol:

LOL I just didn't get what jav was trying to say.

I just meant cars in general over the country as a whole... not his area lol

I dunno man, in my experience cars tend to cost more down here as there are a higher percentage of people who are a little more affluent and willing to pay more. Retired city bankers etc. I know a few people who've bought cars in the north (midland and yorkshire), driven them for 2 years (adding some 50K to the mileage) and then sold in Eastbourne and Brighton for £500 more than what they paid for them :huh: ! Seems crazy I know!

But I think where ever you are, your accord is a beauty and defo worth at least £5K. Even if it is an automatic :p ;) .

The price you ask is dependant on how long you want it to take to sell. I bought my 04 saloon sport with 59K full main dealer history in mint condition with warranty for 3.5K. Ive seen similar age specs with similar mileage for 1.5-2k more than I paid and they were still for sale months and months down the line.

Hey, your car looks like an absolute minter, depending on spec (and yours does seem very well specced) I reckon if you've got a full dealer service history you should be able to squeeze the buyer for 4250-5000, a great technique to selling your car is to advertise it for around 4,600-5,000 but prepare to sell it jfor around 4,500, that way when the buyer inevitably tries to haggle, you pretend to put up a fight and then let it go for 4,500. Then both parties are happy :D
I don't want to discourage you but the E class AMG's aren't really the nicest of Uber saloons, I'd really reccomend test driving an M5, the V8 just sounds amazing and it goes "like a bat out of hell"! but I will say that I am slightly biased against Merc because they haven't really been the nicest of cars when I've had them :)

Hey, your car looks like an absolute minter, depending on spec (and yours does seem very well specced) I reckon if you've got a full dealer service history you should be able to squeeze the buyer for 4250-5000, a great technique to selling your car is to advertise it for around 4,600-5,000 but prepare to sell it jfor around 4,500, that way when the buyer inevitably tries to haggle, you pretend to put up a fight and then let it go for 4,500. Then both parties are happy :D
I don't want to discourage you but the E class AMG's aren't really the nicest of Uber saloons, I'd really reccomend test driving an M5, the V8 just sounds amazing and it goes "like a bat out of hell"! but I will say that I am slightly biased against Merc because they haven't really been the nicest of cars when I've had them :)

Yeh, M5 I would really like. I've been in one as a passenger and loved it. I do miss my V8....this time last year I had this throbber under my bonnet! :wub:

Aud1.jpg

Got rid though because of the astronomical running costs. :(

I just crisised, Audi S8? 42 Valves right? crazy numbers, sounds like a beast :D, dayumn!

Hi mate i could be interested in the car if you have not sold yet have got 06 tourer which i use for taxi but after a auto were are you based im in York . And what kind of mpg are you getting im guessing the cars a petrol.