What's new

Is the 7th as reliable as the 6th?

flyerphil

Members
Reaction score
Car
2002 Honda Accord SE
On the 8th gen forum, someone asked the question "Is the 8th as reliable as the 6th"

The general consensus was no.

So logically we now need to ask: "Is the 7th as reliable as the 6th" ?

What do you think ?

I would argue that it's even more reliable (compare petrol to petrol as there was no diesel equivalent)

Chain-cam, solid speed gear box, etc.

Common faults though - squeaky clutch, etc.

I get the impression the 6th gen is more reliable than the 7th from what's said on TA. Not owned a 6th gen personally, so can only speak from others experience.

After nine years of ownership and the car now 12yrs old......

I've replaced droplinks & rear calipers (only one had siezed but replaced both). I replaced the Thermostat at last coolant change, no issues just preventative maintenance.

Rear fuel and brake lines 2014, timing&balance belt 2009, cat-back exhaust 2011 all done at Honda.

No breakdowns, (two flat batteries, my fault). 1 x AA Call Out (in nine years) for rusted off exhaust dragging . No engine management lights ever!!!

My only real worry is potentially rusted arches and drain channels :-(

Merged duplicate topics. :)

You could also ask is the 7th gen as reliable as the 5th gen?

The 5th gen 2.2 auto only ever needed 2 front brake lines and oil/filter changes and I had a new custom catback fitted when the old exhaust started to blow at 11 years old.

I supposed reliability is a relative term. You might say that the 8th gen is less reliable than the 6th gen, but then again, the 6th gen had way less technology in it, so less to go wrong. The old Keep-It-Simple-Stupid (KISS) principle. However, the 5th gen 2.2 Auto only put out 150bhp as a comparison to the 2.0 litres (K20) 155bhp or R20 with better emmissions control.

Take a modern diesel engine used in cars compare to the lumps used in other machines, etc. The latest round of diesel engines are hyper-tuned, super high-pressure unit, putting out incredible torque, efficiency, etc. Compared to and old Massey Ferguson they are "less" reliable, but then the Massey won't have the same emissions, power delivery, etc, etc.

B) Yes. Down to maintenance, especially. Even so, it seems that 7th gen not as good as 8th gen, especially diesel. Fewer diesel issues with later gen as 7th gen seem pretty common and well known, by now. Why I went for 7th gen petrol, not diesel. Over the next 2-3 years I will watch the gen 8 diesel.

Of course, only petrol 6th and 7th gen can be compared, as no diesel 6th as pointed out. Early days for me but, touch wood, a good car, serviced last week and health check only turned up pads in next few months.

I wanted a full Honda dealer service record, but that's me. Cardiff Honda turned it up and confirmed all service procedures followed so,...

6th gen and earlier 7th you probably won't get full history so it's immediate healthcheck.

For various reasons, having had 4 cars in the last 5 months!!!! :ph34r: I can honestly say I had no issues with a petrol phase 1 Volvo V70, 06 reg Saab 9-5 2.3t and the Honda, so far. The odd one out with major, major issues prior to the Honda was a 56 reg V70 D5. Had it checked out and needed £3-4k work needed!! Back to dealer!! Honestly, you couldn't see the issues, until codes were checked....

Sorry off topic, but I'll need a high reliability score b4 buying diesel. Just me.

Cheers,

Jon

So nothing conclusive then, but with a slight leaning to the 6th generation Honda.

I have had mine almost a year and very satisfied with it - absolutely nothing has gone wrong with it, and its 14 years old. However I take your point about maintenance, and this one of mine was very well looked after; I have a folder full of receipts over its whole life.

For example, at 40k miles it had a slight clutch judder - so they put a complete new clutch in it!

Not sure about the UK, but down here in the colonies, over the years we had noticed the following as common faults to the 7th gen:

Alternator
Power steering pump
Door lock actuators
Accelerator pedal position sensor
Throttle position sensor
Primary O2 sensor
CV joints
Engine mounts

Then there's the automatic transmission and filter, down here we don't replace our transmission fluid until 75,000 miles, and the transmission filter on the 2.4 were never replaced, needless today it had caused some issues....

As far as 6th gen goes, we here in oz got the USDM model, the V6 version was a dog, going thru auto transmissions like toothpicks.

this is good info, I am in NZ and am currently looking at an 05 2.4 Auto, done 113,kms. It seems a nice car and feels very tight to drive although the brakes need a bit of a heavy foot which could be just needing new pads. Looking for something that will last to over 200,000 kms without too much trouble. Hard to say without service history (Japanese import) and everything in life is a gamble really. I never really hear anything bad about Honda's to be honest.

The Accord 2.4 will easily cross 200K kms no issue - once it's maintained. Without a service history, I'd get a full service done on it straight away, including:

Engine Oil + Filter
Air and Pollen Filter
ATF and filter
Brake fluid
Sparks

A general check of the suspension should also be done.

There's no particular failure or issues, but just to start at a solid serviced base.

Mechanically both will and should be bombproof, it's on the electrical side I would imagine where one would be better than the other and I would bet on the 6g being better as it has less electrical gizmos and aids then the 7th gen.

I've had 2 6th gen cars, a 7th gen and now an 8th gen, all petrol.

One of my 6th gens (25K, 4 years old) was leaking oil out of the end of the engine where the flywheel is, and had clutch judder. The other 6th gen had an ABS fault before it was 4 years old, which cost about £300 for a new sensor.

My 7th gen 2 litre pertol i sold last year had 97K on the clock and was 9 years old. The car never experienced a single failure (other than the normal wear and tear issues with brakes and tyres). The clutch pedal creaked until i lubricated it with red rubber grease.

My 8th gen is 4 years old and touch wood has been truely faultless.

So i didn't have such a great time with the 6th gen cars. Had a Rover 600 that was better than either of them (sister car to 5th gen)