What's new

JDL lip kit? to MOD or not to MOD?

Shane

Members
Reaction score
Car
accord 2.0i V-Tech
Hey GUYS!!!!

this is my first post up on here after finding out about this fourm and all i have to say is all you guys are stars :D the advice you give is a great help for novice's like myself who absolutely adore their 6th GEN ACCORD.

now... back to my post:

after several years of owning my baby im thinking of slightly tuning it up (it's kind of slacking in it's ooomph!) alongside the looks. i wanted you guys to let me know what you think of what i had in mind.

1) JDL lip kit - really addicted to this one for a long time http://www.jdltuning.co.uk/honda/honda/honda_accord_99_00_bodykit.html however my only worry is the exhaust system, i've got a bog standard twin exhaust which im thinking just to put CAPS on
2) Mesh bonnet Grille alongside Front Bumper
3) change the antenna (my ones stuck) http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BEESTING-BLACK-MINI-SMALL-AERIAL-ANTENNA-MAST-REPLACEMENT-ALUMINIUM-CAR-STUBBY-/131149590456?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item1e891fefb8
4) K&N panel filter and/or induction kit?
5) Need to do Valve clearance, EGR clean, cataclean
6) HID kit
7) Want to clean my engine bay

any suggestion on parts and products would be greatful, im trying my best to keep costs to a minimum but being a novice and having to fork out quite a bit for garage work that isnt even trustworthy! considering im from central london you know it can be costly :( so any help would be much appreciated :D

Welcome along buddy. I'm sure the 6th gen guys will be along to advise on your proposed mods soon. Sound good though. Looking forward to the build thread.

The bodykits horrible tbh mate..the gen6 is a lovely car without the need for a tatty bodykit.. My opinion..

Welcome to TA mate. The chaps are right, subtle mods work better on the 6th gen but its all about whatever floats your boat. As for airbox/induction, induction will give you an awesome addictive sound when in vtec but you wont gain any power, so again its down to preference. I'm sure the boys will be along shortly with more advice ;)

hey guys thanks for the prompt response!!!

thanks for the advice TIPEX, what i was looking for was a beefy look to the car as i just did the wheels an archanite grey (which might i add look stunning ;) ) and was more focused on perforance of the car, not so much the sound (although it would be a bonus). i've realised over these few years my fuel consumption has been getting worse :wacko:

Get some pics up in the gallery matey

What Accord do you have, Type-R etc.?

This topic comes up alot, but unfortunately there is nothing that you could realistically do to the SOHC VTECs unless you are prepared to spend ££££ and go down the FI route, turbo it etc. All things like air induction kits and exhausts will do is add noise, and you won't see any gains in power.

The best way to get more out of your 6th gen is to do a H22 swap. This can be costly too if you want to do it properly, i.e upgrading the brakes/suspension to cope better, but overall it's a cheap swap and can be done very easily. Also, the H22 is a very tunable engine even in N/A form meaning you have the scope for more power later on down the line.

So to summarise, either except the SOHC for the slow yet reliable engine that it is and keep it well kept, or go for a H22. ;)

Oh, and I agree about the lip looking ugly, but we all have different tastes!

I think we need a sticky on the SOHC and performance upgrades!

I love the spoiler on that kit, but the rest of the car is over the top and will just look chavvy. So I would leave the lip out and maybe try and source the factory lip kit.

If you want some noise you dont need an induction kit or short ram, just drill some holes in the airbox, it has the same effect in regards to noise without the side effects of sucking in heat and losing torque.

I think we need a sticky on the SOHC and performance upgrades!

I love the spoiler on that kit, but the rest of the car is over the top and will just look chavvy. So I would leave the lip out and maybe try and source the factory lip kit.

If you want some noise you dont need an induction kit or short ram, just drill some holes in the airbox, it has the same effect in regards to noise without the side effects of sucking in heat and losing torque.
Hi Exec, thanks for your info.

i've read some people suggesting a K & N panel filter? how is that different to an induction kit? what difference do they both make to the car?

apologies if its a stupid question but as i mentioned im a novice compared to you guys

The panel filter is your regular filter you know the rectangle thing that goes into the stock airbox, the K&N and other after market ones just let more air in sometimes at the cost of filtration although they claim not. Never used one myself so not sure what kind of effect they will have apart from slight increase in throttle response, they won't add any power, and they may sound tiny amount better.

As for induction kit, not sure what the exact definition is for one, but they are typically a short ram system, where you replace the stock airbox and piping to the throttle body, with an aftermarket pipe, like metal pipe with an open cone filter on the end. Advantages are supposedly better performance higher up the rev range, but no real power gains and you lose low end torque amongst other things, they do on the plus side sound great and look nice, but they can suck hot air in the engine bay which will effect performance and efficiency. Then you have a cold air intake, which is basically more piping that supplies fresh cold air, there are various ways of having this setup. But remember with either of those you need to declare it on your insurance as a mod.

Also to comment on your other points:

2) Mesh bonnet Grille alongside Front Bumper

For the bonnet grille you can pick up a type r grille from ebay second around £30, or you can pick up just the mesh bit from Holdcroft Honda for a very good price, but you will need to take your current grille apart and rebuild it.

3) change the antenna (my ones stuck) http://www.ebay.co.u...=item1e891fefb8

The ebay one seems like a lot of work, you can pick up a second hand one from breakers, lots on ebay, ring one up and see if they have it and swap it with your broken one.

5) Need to do Valve clearance, EGR clean, cataclean

The first two are quite involved job, there is a guide for the valve clearance done by Andy, which is a fantastoc guide, can be found in diy guide section.

6) HID kit

No experience with one, but it will be a fair amount of work, changing wiring and adapting the reflectors.

7) Want to clean my engine bay

Lots of different ways, get professional steam cleaned, use off the shelf products and do it yourself, use wipes to do it. I have done a bit of mine with some anti grease wipes and it does a good enough job, but obviously not a through one, but am not too fussed as the engine bay is never going to be spotless! :p