What's new

Judder/wobble

taximark

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord ctd-i 2.2
Hi, Ive a problem with my 2.2 ctdi, it has a shaking vibration when under load or going uphill/overtaking etc, you can feel the shake through the car, it's not the wheels or balancing issue as the steering Isn't shaking.

I think it could be a driveshaft but how can I tell which one? people are telling me it could be a Clutch flywheel problem but I've only done 50k on the new one, surely they last longer than that?

Today I've noticed it has started to be very sluggish every now and then but it is due a service so i'll get that done asap.

This sounds like the DMFbut you need to get this diagnosed from a Honda dealer

This sounds like the DMFbut you need to get this diagnosed from a Honda dealer

What makes you say that Brett? some people say Driveshaft whilst others say DMF, it only had one done at 90k, it's now done 140k.

Is it worth bringing it to HH or will any Honda dealer do?

Tha two signs of these are very alike so its hard to tell which one it is.
I would personally let the guys at Hh have a look and say your from TA

I've never experienced a worn DMF, but I would expect you to feel vibration through the clutch pedal, and that operation of the clutch pedal would affect the noise and vibration. Otherwise, I'd say driveshaft.

Tha two signs of these are very alike so its hard to tell which one it is.
I would personally let the guys at Hh have a look and say your from TA

I gave HH a call today, I'm gonna try and get it there next week (wish they were in Sheffield) but the guy on the phone seemed an absolute gent if I'm honest.

They quoted me 49.50 to diagnose it, if anyone can see what it is surely it has to be them with the reviews on here.

My management light has been coming on but the fault code for this was the inlet manifold sensor, apparently it gets carboned up and needs cleaning, so I'm sure that fault will show too as it comes on and off when it feels like.

Had a job to Wakefield today and it is definitely more noticeable on the motorway, personally It felt like the vibration has eased off slightly but the lack of power was embarrassing.

It seems to surge when driving at a steady speed as well, it's very hard to explain and it's very hard to detect but in a kind of revolution way it seems to pick up then ease off ever so slightly, I can notice it as I know the car.

Either way I want to get to the bottom of it because the Clutch and FW was done at 90 odd K it's only 50k since then, surely they last longer than that! I'm not a clutch rider either lol.

Hopefully we'll get to the bottom of it soon.

Mark HH will look after you btw who fitted the last clutch and DMF?
Was it a main dealer or another garage.
Just a thought do you have any knocking or noise on idle as this will be a sign of the DMF.If not then its possible drive shaft.Ever way its going to be one or the other and hopefully its the drivshaft as this is a cheaper fix.

Mark HH will look after you btw who fitted the last clutch and DMF?
Was it a main dealer or another garage.

It was done by my local garage as they are always flexible with me, having said that this could explain a few things, not saying they are rubbish, just it might of been a technical issue they over loooked when fitting it!

But to a Mechanic how hard is it to fit a clutch???

It was done by my local garage as they are always flexible with me, having said that this could explain a few things, not saying they are rubbish, just it might of been a technical issue they over loooked when fitting it!

But to a Mechanic how hard is it to fit a clutch???
Unless they have the proper setting tool for the clutch it will wear out very quick and fail if not set correctly.I just edited my previous post so have a look at that as well.

Unless they have the proper setting tool for the clutch it will wear out very quick and fail if not set correctly.I just edited my previous post so have a look at that as well.

You know what, you could be absolutely spot on here, if it turns out to be this will the flywheel be knackered too IYO?

You know what, you could be absolutely spot on here, if it turns out to be this will the flywheel be knackered too IYO?
Hopefully im wrong and its the drive shaft but either way HH will sort you out.keep us updated Mark what the outcome is.
If its the clutch i would say the DMF is the problem with the judder and shaking.If it was set incorrectly this can knacker a DMF as well.

If you have a problem with the clutch vibrating, then it will be the DMF that's failed. But if the clutch is 'only' slipping, then the DMF may well be OK... mis-alignment of the clutch cover during replacement would cause slippage, it shouldn't lead to DMF failure. You haven't mentioned clutch slippage, so I'm guessing it isn't?

It sounds like you might have more than one fault? Neither the DMF nor a worn driveshaft would cause the engine to lack power and bring up the warning light. So maybe you have a cylinder misfiring for some reason? That'd cause a lack of power and vibration.

I'm sure HH will sort you out though, whatever the problem is. Good luck Mark!

If you have a problem with the clutch vibrating, then it will be the DMF that's failed. But if the clutch is 'only' slipping, then the DMF may well be OK... mis-alignment of the clutch cover during replacement would cause slippage, it shouldn't lead to DMF failure. You haven't mentioned clutch slippage, so I'm guessing it isn't?

It sounds like you might have more than one fault? Neither the DMF nor a worn driveshaft would cause the engine to lack power and bring up the warning light. So maybe you have a cylinder misfiring for some reason? That'd cause a lack of power and vibration.

I'm sure HH will sort you out though, whatever the problem is. Good luck Mark!

Yeah cheers, the clutch isn't slipping but now and then I do feel like the pedal seems to lack pressure momentarily, the gears change okay though.

When I needed it replacing before you could hear the flywheel and depressing the Clutch pedal made the noise go away, so a tell tail sign it was time to replace, however this time around there is no noise - weird.

TBH the car has been great, cannot knock it one bit, its a taxi so gets hammered with miles, I just want it to drive okay and last for another year without major repairs touch wood.

Might get the 8th Generation next or go for something totally different, who knows.

Update on this issue; it's booked in for a diagnostic check with HH on Friday regarding the judder, I haven't had chance to get it there any sooner with kids holidays etc, but there is now a new problem, it has seriously been feeling sluggish the last few weeks and today when I have been changing gears there almost feels like a flat spot but it's not, It just loses power and feels like it's running out of fuel, but sometimes it clears itself and when it does all the power returns and kicks out a big cloud of black smoke.

If it also loses power, I can turn the engine off and restart it and it seems okay.

This car is starting to do my head in lol.

Juddering under load like that is going to be your inner driveshaft - it's a very common problem on the ICTDI Accords. Make sure you use a genuine Honda part and not an aftermarket Blueprint as their splines are not of the same quality.

The engine problem could just be a blocked fuel filter, or possibly a sticking EGR valve.. or something more serious, needs investigating.

well in fairness every second post here is a problem with a 7th gen diesel.

i would sooner drive one over the atlantic than put up with all that nonsense tbh.

Juddering under load like that is going to be your inner driveshaft - it's a very common problem on the ICTDI Accords. Make sure you use a genuine Honda part and not an aftermarket Blueprint as their splines are not of the same quality.

The engine problem could just be a blocked fuel filter, or possibly a sticking EGR valve.. or something more serious, needs investigating.

FF was put in about 6 mths ago but I still might change it, it's booked into HH on Friday, hopefully they'll be able to tell me all of the problems with it.

i would sooner drive one over the atlantic than put up with all that nonsense tbh.

TBH the car's done 150k so there can be issues to be expected I suppose, the main gripe for me with these cars are the ball joints, shockingly bad aftermarket ones sometimes forced upon you if the budgets tight with the price of the genuine parts.

aye, but buying cheap aftermarket parts is just a waste of time tbh.

The Accord is a pretty expensive car to maintain, certainly for parts they are extremely expensive. 150k is pretty serious miles many cars would not even get that far in fairness without being chucked into a scrap yard.

Many, many, many more 7th gen diesels were sold than petrols... and that's obviously a very significant reason why there will be more reported problems with diesels. Additionally, I suggest that the average mileage on a diesel is higher than on a petrol, which also contributes to the disparity of reported engine faults. So the mean mileage between mechanical breakdowns (of all types, not just engine faults) probably isn't as different as you might think :mad:

For info, I do actually own a petrol car as well. And it has Toyota VVTi engine, so much nicer than a Honda VTEC (can even inhale it's own exhaust through the exhaust valves) B)

Apologies to taximark for this thread diversion.

I do love Jon_G and Toffee_Pie's constant petrol/diesel arguments :lol: . They never end :rolleyes: .

Well if it wasn't me then someone else would have to do it. :lol:

EDIT - I'm not even sure the Toyota VVTi is better than the Honda VTEC, but don't tell Eric.

common
comparing VVTI to vtec. get out of the kitchen. :D

have you even driven a k24, i gather not.

go on ,surprise yourself.. :lol:

as for honda diesels, they do make good diesels, but only late generation 7th models and 8th gen.

early gen 7th ones had issues, more issues than Michael Douglas had women apparently.... B)

Ok guys please keep this thread on topic.If you wish to have a debate do it between yourself s as its unfair to do this on someone else s thread.

I hope that VVTI isn't the 1.8 engine. They are infamous for short block failures due to oil sludging. It's a shockingly bad engine, and my uncle had to have his replaced on a 2004 Avensis (which he bought brand new). Check the Toyota forums, they are riddled with VVTI failures.

I think Jon will say a rover25 is a match for a cl9 next... :D

I have had a fair dose of cars and this is the best of the lot by a good margin.

what about the 180hp vvti engines on the celica.. any use?

It's becoming the norm that threads started for diesel problems are becoming riddled with anti-diesel comments... but my rebuttal to this obviously went over a few heads! As mentioned, I'm not a heavily biased diesel fanboy, but I do want to see some balance and hence my previous comments.

And Fahad - yes, it is the 1.8 VVTi. Had it for 10 years (from new)... no sludging problems, ever. I'm a long-time member of the MR2ROC forum and there's no particular issue reported there with sludging problems (disintegration of the pre-cats and inhalation of the resulting loose bits causing cylinder bore wear is the big issue with that engine, but I've removed them).