What's new

Just thinking about buying a 2006 Honda Accord 2.2 EX

Don101

Members
Reaction score
Car
7th Gen 2.2 EX
Hi Guys,

I was wondering if anybody can help me, as I am thinking about buying a 2006 Honda Accord 2.2 EX with 60,000 miles on the clock. Just wanted to know if there is anything I should be wary off before I go ahead and buy it?

Thanks in advance

Syed

Known diesel problems:-

Slipping clutch - test it going up hill around 2k RPM on full throttle

Cracked exhaust manifold - sniff for diesel fumes at rear of engine (worse when cold)

Timing chains - odd rubbing/clicking/chafing noise (far worse with engine fully warmed up and ticking over). Not such a common problem on facelift models (e.g. 6 speed gearbox).

These issues were all covered by a Honda extended warranty, so ideally all have been replaced. Worth checking for evidence of this!

Thanks for the quick replies guys, much appreciated. I will take a look at the car over the weekend and see how it drives. Cost is just over 5.5k which seems reasonable considering the low mileage and the specs look good as well.

Regards

Syed

For that kind of money I would look at an early 8th gen idtec

Apart from the stuff mentioned above I'd be worried about the car being clocked - A diesel having covered less than 10,000 miles a year could be suspicious (It certainly is to me). Make sure you check the MoT history (It can be done online if you have the VIN number) and check the service history isn't suspicious I.e. the same dealer stamp and signature used every time.

Also a diesel car that has done only 10k pa average is possibly more prone to problems due to soot accumulation.

Honestly I would spend my money on an 8th gen now even with 100k on the clock.

£5500 for a 2006, I know its low miles but even still.
I paid £2200 18 months ago for a 2006 with 140k miles in good condition, no major problems except cracked manifold which I live with.

^^ fix the manifold mate, that's not something to live with

I paid £950 for my tourer ex on an 05 plate in Aug. with 140K on the clock but a new engine from Honda fitted 20k ago. that seems way over priced.

Some poor sucker will buy it. I detest car traders like this honestly.

Stick the reg in to we buy any car with the mileage and see what figure that comes up with. I'm guessing it will be £3500 - £4000.

So if its from a Honda dealer with FHSH and a years Honda warranty I don't think £5000ish is too bad. (They have to make some money)

ChrisG said:
Stick the reg in to we buy any car with the mileage and see what figure that comes up with. I'm guessing it will be £3500 - £4000.

So if its from a Honda dealer with FHSH and a years Honda warranty I don't think £5000ish is too bad. (They have to make some money)
WBAC will never pay you the website estimate... when inspected, every slight imperfection will cause that figure to plummet.

I certainly wouldn't pay an extra grand for FHSH and a Honda warranty for a fairly old car like this... that's must be around half the car's resale value.

I think it's overpriced. I paid £5,900 for an 07 plate EX with 59k on the clock and FSH (not all Honda dealers though). That was last August, so 16 months ago.

It's now got 80k on the clock, and I'll happily take £5,500 off anyone for it.

Hi Chaps,

Have tried to log in several times over the last 2 days with no joy, therefore had to resort to using Facebook login which worked.

Thanks again for the invaluable information provided on the Accord, as it gave me a chance to look at it in more detail and also ask the right questions. I have checked it through and it has a full Honda service history. I also drove the car and it does feel like a new car, especially compared to my old one. The bodywork looks in immaculate condition as does the interior, totally different to my old Avensis, which has done nearly 150k miles. From the MOT certificate which was done in December I can see it's done 3.5k miles from Sept 2013-Dec 2014.
I managed to haggle the price down and also got a 12 month warranty thrown in, this also covers the clutch. All in all it seems good, especially as the MOT was about to run out in Jan on my old Avensis. I just hope it's as reliable as the Avensis and doesn't let me down. The only things I need to check are the short drive belt that's been mentioned on the forum as well as the cracked manifold issue.

Thanks again

Syed

Congrats on the purchase, I guess it's not always about money. If the car feels right and you're happy with it, that's all that matters. It's your hard earned afterall.

Good luck with it.

Sounds like a nice car. They are reliable if looked after. If you are planning on keeping it for a while the best thing you can do is give it regular oil changes with the correct 0-30 oil. You can buy it in 25L drums from lubetech who have a section on here for around £100

Congrats on the purchase Syed

Don't forget to consider getting a remap done.... I did recently after owning my accord for over 3 years.... should have got it done earlier.....

F6HAD said:
Congrats on the purchase, I guess it's not always about money. If the car feels right and you're happy with it, that's all that matters. It's your hard earned afterall.

Good luck with it.
Congratz with the purchase mate. A facelift's executive interior is a wonderful place to drive :)

Thanks for all the replies and much appreciated. Just to let you all know, I've driven it for a few hundred miles and so far so good. No issues found so far, with no warning lights on the dash either. The only thing I've noticed is the ride being a bit hard. It feels a lot better than my old Avensis, however I can almost feel every pot hole and even the steering wheel vibrates whilst I'm driving. Just wanted to check is this normal for a Honda? Maybe it's the size of the alloys/tyres? Any advise would be most appreciated.

Regards

Syed

With the steering vibrations, had this with mine too when I first got it, got all 4 wheels balanced , so would be worth getting that done on yours or at least the fronts, providing there is no other issue under the car in terms of knackered bushes etc. (the garage checking your balancing may be able to get all that out for you) would be worth noting that with the balancing ask the garage to use the studded plate (if they have one) on the balancer, this basically goes on the machine with the studs going through the bolt holes and is tightened up in these areas so as to replicate the wheel being bolted on the car with the 5 studs, reason for this is, it is more accurate than just using the centre hub as in effect the centre hub could be described as being cosmetic and possibly not sitting true, if that makes any sense!
Cheers Pete

I had a vibration on my 7th Gen accord when I purchased it.

- It turned out to be a slightly buckled fornt wheel. (which I still have to replace as its on the rear at the moment)

But the diesel accord does suffer from weak drive shafts (loads of threads on this)
As mentioned about check the wheels are properly balanced. I mean properly as some garages don't bother doing it properly
Also check to see if any bulges on the tyres
Jack up each corner and spin the wheel and ensure both rim and tyre are round with no lumps etc

With the harshness of the ride I feel the accord is a very comfortable car to drive.

Is the suspension upgraded? Maybe it has the factory A-spec lowering kit which will be little more stiffer
Tyres can play a big part with ride comfort. What tyres do you have on there?
Check tyre reviews.com to see how your tyre brand rates for comfort

Ensure the tyre size is correct (i.e. for 17s it should be 225/45/r17)
Correct tyres pressures (there should be a sticker on the inside of the door showing you the correct pressures to run at or give you a guide according to your situation)

Hope it helps - just thoughts from the top of my head :)

Thanks for all the useful information guys, much appreciated.

I have checked the tyre pressure and noticed the 2 front ones were 17 and 22 PSI and the rear ones were 28 PSI. I noticed there was something wrong when I took the car for a test drive in December as it was pulling to the right. The dealer added that the tyre pressure was low and he would sort it out before the car was sold. He obviously didn't do anything, as I don't think the pressure would decrease that much in less than a month. I have driven it tonight and it seems a lot better than before but still not perfect. I will therefore get the wheels balanced properly when I take it in for a service in February.

Regards

Syed