What's new

Level 1 Service?

kashim

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord 2.2 ICTDI
Hi all,

My 87,500 service is due soon and have rang a few Honda dealers up in London. Got some reasonable prices and some silly ones. Want to keep the Full Honda History going and am a tool in regards to DIY service. :lol:

I called up the last Honda dealer to see what was done on the car on the last service at 75,000. Seems a lot was done. Transmission fluid, engine oil, FILTERS CHANGED: oil, air, fuel, pollen. Brake pads, new tyres etc. So it doesn't require too much to be done

The cheapest quote I got was from Southall Honda for £175, but will charge me extra £25 to use 5w/30 grade oil (BUMP! and from what I read is the wrong one) so total was roughly £200 inc VAT, parts, labour.

Enfield Honda could do the service for £199 inc VAT etc. but use correct grade.

I decided to ring Chiswick Honda, where the car was originally purchased. They could not beat that quote but however the dude said they have a Level 1 service for £149 inc VAT etc. This consisted of chaning engine oil, oil filter and air filter I think. With this they will do other checks which did not really get me excited. I will ask the guy to e-mail me over what will be covered in this service and post it later.

Would be grateful if anyone can share their wisdom and advice. :D

Thanks

For less than that you can get 25l of 0/30 from our affiliates and the filters you need and you'll have 3 oil changes left over. Go diy mate its very very easy. level 1 service is nothing to write home about.

even if you paid a garage to do it, it'll work out cheaper that way.

From the sounds of it I would avoid Southall, to even suggest putting 5w30 in and charge extra for the privilege, I wonder what they would use otherwise 10w40?

Theoretically there is not much to do as much of the major stuff was done on the prior service, you definitely need to get the oil and filter changed ASAP though if it has done 12.5k on the same oil . As yours is the facelift model you will most likely need to get the water bled from the fuel filter and changing the air filter is certainly ideal.

It is relatively simple to do these things yourself, otherwise saving yourself some money and ensuring the correct stuff is used!

However of course if you want to keep the book stamped up or you really are not handy with a spanner.

Personally unless anyone else has had bad experiences of any of the dealers, I would just ask what grade oil they put in, if they don't come back with 0w30, then I would avoid them, but don't ask them to confirm that they put 0w30 as they may just agree with you rather than give you the correct answer.

Unless your car is under warranty i would just do it yourself for about 70 quid all in. Just keep it documented in your service book and keep the receipts.
Its crazy paying dealer prices on any car outside its warranty or over 5 years old especially when you realise just how simple it is to do.

Thanks for all the advice guys, well appreciated!

I don't think I am ready to service myself, nor do I have the time at the moment. Broke sweat tryna change headlight bulb :lol:

If i could do it myself, I would've given the money left over from the service to you guys at TA!!

Will give the guys at Honda a ring tomorrow hopefully to see what they will do. But from what I read regarding changing engine oil, I will have a go at changing the oil myself after 6000 miles at a later period.

Carl- your right, Southall use 10w40 unless you pay the extra for 5w30, which they say is the quality stuff.

Thanks for all the advice guys, well appreciated!

I don't think I am ready to service myself, nor do I have the time at the moment. Broke sweat tryna change headlight bulb :lol:

If i could do it myself, I would've given the money left over from the service to you guys at TA!!

Will give the guys at Honda a ring tomorrow hopefully to see what they will do. But from what I read regarding changing engine oil, I will have a go at changing the oil myself after 6000 miles at a later period.

Carl- your right, Southall use 10w40 unless you pay the extra for 5w30, which they say is the quality stuff.

Once you've done the oil change yourself, you'll wonder what all the fuss was about.

in respect of 10w-40, if you have time have a read of this thread it gives an idea of what putting the wrong grade oil in, together with not getting the fuel filter changed regularly. The bloke involved "trusted" the garage to do as was necessary, as any normal non mechanical person would. The end of the thread highlights the differences.

Redsnapper

Thanks for the link Carl. All I'm gonna say is... Dammmn!

I think after like 120k+ if I still have the car I will service the car myself.

Will have a go at dad's merc as he never services any cars he owns. If all goes well I will definitely contemplate doing a DIY.

worst case scenario - another dead bavarian tractor :lol:

Thanks for the link Carl. All I'm gonna say is... Dammmn!

I think after like 120k+ if I still have the car I will service the car myself.

Will have a go at dad's merc as he never services any cars he owns. If all goes well I will definitely contemplate doing a DIY.

When having a go at the Merc, just have a look and compare to yours as to where things are. You probably find yours so much easier to do as they have thought all the service items through, well most, we won't mention the fuel filter, but that's not too hard with a bit of practice and a few select tools.

At least your thinking about it, just start with the basics, so you don't feel out of depth.

:p Still a tractor though ;).

I am surrounded at home - guy opposite drives Audi, chap next door has a BMW, Merc, Pug 206 ,Fiesta ST, and occasionally a Seat something or other on his drive, chap otherside has BMW. My estate is littered with 'em. gggrrrr..... When hte missu has firends round we are like a little island of Jap goodness is a see of german pantness. (Shame about the odd Toy0ta though :lol:)

Hi guys,

Finally got e-mails back from Dealers:

I have read through the forums and have seen that alot of you guys have bought your oil in bulk from lubetech and have asked the dealers and told them I will bring my own oil. ANY HELP REGARDING THIS?? :lol:

1st Dealer: Level 1 service £149 inc VAT. If i provide my own oil he said they will knock off around £35 so = £114 inc VAT

Note any body damage
Fit car protection kit
Check operation of all lights
Check washers and wipers
Check operation of horn
Change engine oil
Change engine oil filter
Check brake pipes and lines visually
Check exhaust system condition
Check front brake pads visually
Check rear brake pads/shoes visually
Inspect tyres and set pressures
Report on tyre tread depths
Check cooling system for leaks
Check antifreeze content
Check auxilary drive belts
Check all fluid levels
Check battery condition - Midtronics Tester
Road test* to check operation of:
Brakes
Steering
Suspension
Engine and gearbox
Heating system
Check for abnormal noises
Complete Technicians Report form
Note any additional work required

Also get a courtesy car for the day :lol: most likely a Jazz!

2nd Dealer- Manufacture recommended Service: £199 inc VAT. If i provide my own oil they will knock off around £45 so = £154 inc VAT

• Replace engine oil and oil filter
• Inspect front and rear brakes
• Check parking brake adjustment
• Check lights alignment
• Test drive to test the noise, stability and dashboard operation

Visually inspect the following items:
• Tie rod ends, steering gearbox and boots
• Suspension components
• Driveshaft boots
• Brake hoses and lines (inc abs/vsa)
• All fluid levels and condition of fluid
• Exhaust system
• Fuel lines and connections
• Tyre condition- pressure and wear

If you are providing your own oil, we will take £45.00 off the service meaning it will be £154.00 in total

SORRY FOR THE LONG POST!! LEMME KNOW WHAT YOU THINK? :rolleyes:

Sounds to me like to much of just check & not replace ect. Like that 'health check' thingy. If you get your own oil why not do it yourself or go to the local independent garage.

Sounds to me like to much of just check & not replace ect. Like that 'health check' thingy. If you get your own oil why not do it yourself or go to the local independent garage.

I appreciate that it would be better to go to a independent garage or do it myself. I cant commit the time anytime soon. Also I wanna keep my full Honda service history going, just in case I do (god forbid) sell my car on.

I will however do my oil changes myself from then on and simple stuff that the dealer will charge extortionate amounts for.

Good man... This kind of service really is worth DIY'ing. At least you'll be prepared next tine ;)

Deffo Dan!

Is lubetech still providing discounts to club members? :blush:

I thought i'd buy a big 25 litre as my mates toyota diesel is due for a service so we could share out the costs.

and my laptop screens gone, which will add on more costs this month!! :( My laptops been a beauty, bought it when I started university 5 years ago and never gave me any trouble! Hope its nothing major.

Yep, they are still offering a really good deal, and HH will ship the filters to you as well!

Its all good!

If all they're doing is changing the oil and filter, visually checking stuff and then stamping the book... ***uming they're all Honda dealers, just go with the cheapest.

Dan- I'll have a check on the air filter and if needs be I'll replace that myself. Shouldn't cost much

Fahad- Thats all about it. Gonna wait for a call from dealer to see how much they will take off from me bringing my own oil, which I hope to purchase off lubetech soon.

Should I purchase straight off their website? seen they have an e-bay account too.

Someone mentioned I should bleed the water from the fuel filter? Can I ask why and how?

Don't forget the pollen filter Kashim.... you don't even need any tools for that one and it makes a huge difference to the AC - have look to see how grim you current one is. It might give you an insight to the level of servicing the car has had in the past.

Don't forget the pollen filter Kashim.... you don't even need any tools for that one and it makes a huge difference to the AC - have look to see how grim you current one is. It might give you an insight to the level of servicing the car has had in the past.

Spoke to the last Honda dealer that serviced it at 75k and he did mention that the pollen filter was replaced.
The car that I have purchased came along with a vehicle maintanence summary listing when it was serviced (NOT full details as to what was done) and other things that were replaced i.e. tyres and brake pads , so I'm ***uming it was a company car.

Very likely, mate, but I would still check that ans the air filter - they are so easy, and less scrupulous garages will happily tick a box regardless of whether the work has been done on the ***umption that they won't get caught out.

Cynical I know, but it happens in my industry all the time as well.

I was just about to say that, but had posted my reply.

Cutting corners, everyone does it. Just about how blatant it is.

Generally when I open my bonnet, everything looks nice and all fluids topped up having owned it for only 2 months now. I am confident that this cars been maintained, Already made some scars on the car. Had milk all over passengers seat and can still smell the stench! :wacko:

But its all part of making the car YOUR car.

:lol: I can think of nicer ways though bud :lol:

:lol: I can think of nicer ways though bud :lol:

Well I ***ume you mean stuff like alloys, tints etc

People tend to pick out all the weird stuff your car has/had and that tends to spring in mind. I know from past experience!

Dude, furry dice would be better than smelly milk stink :lol.

My car... well painted calipers, and a nearside fog and bumper that is strangely attracted to high kerbs and low walls :(.

Well at least you now know how to identify my car!

I used to be awful with my audi and kerbing all the time. You know what they say: "First scratch hurts the most!" After that I did not care at all. Same with my mobile phones.

Just an update.

Level 1 servicing will not give me a discount if I bring my own engine oil :( as the service is already discounted.

"First scratch hurts the most!"

Cant really say that i dont care anymore but yes the first one hurts! When i bought the car they had just refurbished the wheels a week later and a curb :(
The low profile 225/45 tyres dont help very much.

Nothing like the old days with XXX/65 tyres :)