What's new

Limp mode?

Fandango

Members
Reaction score
Car
8th Gen I-DTEC
Hi all.

Was just returning home, and my car promptly decides it will not rev past 2100rpm. Below this it has almost no power.

The car had been running (started from warm), for about 3 minutes.

I have no warning lights, and madly enough, as i reversed into my driveway, the rear parking sensor alarm deployed correctly, (it has never worked before)!

So I stop and restart the engine, and it revs freely.

Any ideas what to have a look for, as I would not like a recurrence 100 miles from home?

Cheers

And stuck egr valve

Fuel filter changed for genuine very recently.

EGR has blanking plate installed.

If I plug it in to a diagnostic terminal, should a fault have been stored?

Yep suggest you look for error codes and take the guesswork out of it.

So have just plugged in a generic fault finder, there are no stored faults / messages.

I guess I just have to wait to see if anything else happens?

A lot of generic readers will not pick up any pending dtc's so you need to plug into a hds or more sophisticated machine such as a snap on or launch.

Any results on this? Did you find anything out?

I have the same issue recently. Just after a long drive i stopped and filled up with v power diesel..started it up again and wouldn't revv past 2000rpm. Switched off and it fixed itself.

Handed car over Xmas to Honda for clutch and DMF to be fitted. They phoned me to say car wouldn't go over 2000rpm on roadtest.

So this has happened again :(

Honda will diagnose tomorrow so will find out then but was wanting to know what I'm facing before they phone.......

check EGR ,throttle,glow plugs all pipes etc.if Car get in limp mode you should get engine light

Burbleboy said:
Any results on this? Did you find anything out?

I have the same issue recently. Just after a long drive i stopped and filled up with v power diesel..started it up again and wouldn't revv past 2000rpm. Switched off and it fixed itself.

Handed car over Xmas to Honda for clutch and DMF to be fitted. They phoned me to say car wouldn't go over 2000rpm on roadtest.

So this has happened again :(

Honda will diagnose tomorrow so will find out then but was wanting to know what I'm facing before they phone.......
No, I am still no wiser.

It has done this 3 or 4 times since, always a few minutes after being started from warm.

I have ceased worrying about it now, I just complete my journey (thinking of the fuel I am saving), or just turn off, to reboot.

Fandango said:
Hi all.

Was just returning home, and my car promptly decides it will not rev past 2100rpm. Below this it has almost no power.

The car had been running (started from warm), for about 3 minutes.

I have no warning lights, and madly enough, as i reversed into my driveway, the rear parking sensor alarm deployed correctly, (it has never worked before)!

So I stop and restart the engine, and it revs freely.

Any ideas what to have a look for, as I would not like a recurrence 100 miles from home?

Cheers

Ihave the same prblem , but management light is on,rev 2100 , might be glow plugs needs retested.Any diy or advice will be appreciated

Please post in one thread only

I'm almost certain it's the fuel filter. When in limp mode does glow plug light flash? My car has been doing this a lot lately. I have connected it to a snap on code reader and had a Bluetooth diagnostic plugged so I can read live data. It's clearly shows that it's a fuel delivery problem. I'm changing fuel filter tomorrow got one for £32 from Honda.

Also the first service I gave my 2004 accord I used a aftermarket fuel filter and every time I accelerated harshly it cut out and fired up in limp mode after.

Hope this helps
Good luck

Does sound like a fuel filter yes