What's new

littlebo reflash Q&A

Status
Not open for further replies.
To be fair, it isn't just about having the electronics knowledge needed to reflash whatever programmable device is in the ECU... you'd also need the replacement code, or the ability to generate your own code... which would require some learning and documentation about how the K24 ECU operates, plus extensive testing and trials. It may actually be cheaper to simply fork out the 300 quid, even though that might seem a bit excessive.

As an electronics engineer, why not simply experiment with your own modifications to bring in the VTEC 'on demand' via an independent additional feed to the solenoid valve?

It would still need butchering a Ecu. Don't have access to a garage. And can't be bothered tbh. Too much trouble for 15hp or whatever. Besides the traffic in Southampton is brutal. A remapped ecu is about as useful as precision mounted go faster stripes

Jon_G said:
To be fair, it isn't just about having the electronics knowledge needed to reflash whatever programmable device is in the ECU... you'd also need the replacement code, or the ability to generate your own code... which would require some learning and documentation about how the K24 ECU operates, plus extensive testing and trials. It may actually be cheaper to simply fork out the 300 quid, even though that might seem a bit excessive.
very true indeed Jon ....it's more about the map and reflash knowledge

Jon_G said:
As an electronics engineer, why not simply experiment with your own modifications to bring in the VTEC 'on demand' via an independent additional feed to the solenoid valve?
I mentioned this already, see #19 and #20 on page 1 of this thread

toffee_pie said:
It would still need butchering a Ecu.
I wouldn't be so sure Eric, this is about reflashing. Some ROMs can be reflashed without removal. One example is the DSP in a Denon AV unit, the ROM can be reflashed without removal. But naturally you're the all-knowing "electonics guru" round here who's not even taken the ECU out of his car, never mind removed the lid and taken a look inside.

toffee_pie said:
Don't have access to a garage. And can't be bothered tbh.

Agreed

edit:
picture that I took, of the inside of the ECU that I took out of my car
IMAG0379.jpg

see #53 in this thread http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/topic/12082-facelift-ecu-in-pre-facelift/page-3

You have to pay in order to play.
The price is small also.
For years you did not have any option for a good reflash.
Now you have it but suddenly is too expensive, "the traffic is brutal " ... By the way will that Legend with AWD and huge consumption be better for the traffic?
If you are not interested what is the point for these useless execuses/comments?

this is what an ECU looks like inside
eric_6.jpg

make sure one's green-fingered approach doesn't go overboard
eric_4.jpg
[

when preparing for the reflash you might need a guru-tool
eric_7.jpg

to make sure that the flash voltages are proper job
eric_5.jpg

edit: no intention to mis-represent work of Dinu/Sergey/ukcl9, the opposite in fact

Brian. I know you like taking the ****. I have a good idea of what an ecu consists of without opening one up. I did a masters in microelectronics. I am sure tampering with the VTEC solenoid itself won't be enough.

In any event the traffic thing has totally ruined it for me. Whether I get a legend or not is irrelevant.

We should keep on topic and deal with the solution offered here.

dinoc said:
You have to pay in order to play.
The price is small also.
For years you did not have any option for a good reflash.
Now you have it but suddenly is too expensive, "the traffic is brutal " ... By the way will that Legend with AWD and huge consumption be better for the traffic?
If you are not interested what is the point for these useless execuses/comments?

Its not personal, I don't think at this point in my life i really need a modded ecu. It would be nice but I am sure if you went to Southampton you would agree with me about the traffic. So it really would be a waste of time.

there are loads of other dudes on here with a k24.

its alot of money for marginal hp gain, a CAI would get you probably 5hp and cost a fraction. Taking a totally standard k24, from a modification point of view uprated suspension IMO is far more beneficial than a ecu remap. If you have the funds. Handling is improved ten fold and from a day to day driving perspective its a better thing.

Man you are just talking without knowing.
The gain is much bigger in the mid-range.
The car is moving MUCH faster, NOT marginal ... You just don't know what you are you talking, no offense.
But making statements like "marginal gains" , throwing numbers like "5hp, 15hp", is just non-sense talking ,... You never experienced a reflashed car on the passenger seat at least in order to be entitled to say "marginal gains"

you could get a CAI for probably sub £100, for a DIY job. That would get 5hp give or take.

The flash you do gets at most 15hp and most likely <15hp as Brian pointed out, and it will cost £300.

I am not saying this is a bad mod, we need some more uk cars with this mod to see its full potential.

Lol, those statesments bout useless margin gains in traffic reminds me .. reminds me a virgin who's discussing how bad *** is )) Freddo right, 90% of ppl don't understand what engine is and how it works. tuned firmware shines in traffic with perfect responce, torque available much earlier, engine pulls right from idle, without twitching, even the lightest part throttle acceleration is smooth. and no any way to judje this untill you try it in person, even mighty Freddo can't convert this in digits.

£300 pounds for reflash is good deal.
compare to when i paid £450 for xo power to remap, plus patrol from Birmingham to Newcastle and b&b. the total must have been just under £600.
But that was worth every penny because the car was transformed into a proper vtec.

littlebo said:
Lol, those statesments bout useless margin gains in traffic reminds me .. reminds me a virgin who's discussing how bad *** is )) Freddo right, 90% of ppl don't understand what engine is and how it works. tuned firmware shines in traffic with perfect responce, torque available much earlier, engine pulls right from idle, without twitching, even the lightest part throttle acceleration is smooth. and no any way to judje this untill you try it in person, even mighty Freddo can't convert this in digits.
thanks for calling me "mighty Freddo" LOL :D

I thought I converted it into digits quite well (post #62, or #65 as it is now) .....

The average torque increase in that range is 17 Nm which represents an increase of 7% in that range. On its own, that represents about 0.6 second increase in the acceleration.

But, the rev range has also increased by about 5%.

So overall, that gives about 10% increase in acceleration. If that is true for a stock car, then a reflash is the simplest and easiest mod worth making. Personally I'm not into lowering my car, CAI, etc, etc: because that brings attention to the car. A 10% increase is a good change though, about the best one could hope for on this engine.
btw I wouldn't worry about Eric
when Heraclitus said "nothing is permanent except change", he was talking about Eric :lol:

edit:
here's what Eric put in #87
i would be up for this. I will probably meet up with this chap in devon in due course

more hp, proper vtec and more torque, whats not to 'like' ?

yes, i said that but why don't you guys come down to this part of the world and see how much of an improvement a modded ecu would make in daily driving. I live 6 miles or so from work, takes about 40 minutes to go. Some guys live on the other side of the bridge takes them well over an hour to get to work, that's about 10 miles or so.

I didn't think it was so bad. Its not like i cant afford the modification, I just don't see the point and my car is lively enough as it is.

There's some good stuff in today's contributions, but I don't get why this thread has this effect on some of you with some of the other stuff here...

Please discuss the topic at hand and endorse the Bill & Ted philosphy of Be Excellent To Each Other:

be-excellent-to-each-other.jpeg

Cheers guys :)

i drove through southampton 2weeks ago.traffic was bad.i thought to myself i could never live here.

but on the plus side sat at the traffic lights forever.with the reflash it wasnt using so much fuel.lol

fredofrog when are you going to take advantage of our ecu exchange,so you can try the reflash for yourself?

Go on Brian, you know you want to ;) . I won't lie guys, I'm passing through Devon in the summer so might take a small detour to see what all the fuss is about ;) .

trust me, the traffic is absolutely (insert explicitive word).

I have to take detours across all the side streets to get to work, a colleague told me ones. its desperate. Road works everywhere, schools everywhere (of various ethnicity!), bridges under construction...traffic lights every 5 meters...

I am a bit despondent, I basically lost interest in getting a reflash, my car is fine the way it is and in all honesty i am considering selling it, i have had it a few years and i am in two minds as to what to do. The reliability is a given with my car and I am a bit cautious of getting another one and not knowing what to expect.

toffee_pie said:
trust me, the traffic is absolutely (insert explicitive word).

I have to take detours across all the side streets to get to work, a colleague told me ones. its desperate. Road works everywhere, schools everywhere (of various ethnicity!), bridges under construction...traffic lights every 5 meters...

I am a bit despondent, I basically lost interest in getting a reflash, my car is fine the way it is and in all honesty i am considering selling it, i have had it a few years and i am in two minds as to what to do. The reliability is a given with my car and I am a bit cautious of getting another one and not knowing what to expect.
start a new thread dude :)

sfai tested spare ECU vs his current reflash, feedback coming soon !

Some of you may know i have had the XO Power remap done back in Dec 2012.

The performance and fun it put into the car put a Very big smile to my face.

When UKCL9 offer to let me try there spare reflash ecu i wasn't to sure if there would be that much gains to difference from my already mapped cl9. I wish i could had a longer run in it but the short drive i did it gave me a very good impression as if the car wana pull harder and faster. it just transformed it again
The difference would be even more awesome if your coming from a stock ecu to reflash.

Please do Sfai. It would be very interesting to see how this compares to the XO remap. Do you know, was the XO remap a custom map or a Piasini map that XO installed?

sfai , im shure that lots of ppl wanna see that comparsion but id like to remind that in my opinion its a waste of funds and it only represents 10% of the map, all part throttle improvements and fun remain behind the picture. since we have spare ECU for testing i highly recommend to use butt dyno to test it for 100% in all modes. this will be fair testing with reasonable conclusions then.

Can you see on a dyno the part throttle improvements which by the way are very good?

Status
Not open for further replies.