What's new

Lost all power

Dave_G

Members
Reaction score
Car
06 Tourer EX CTDi
Hi guys, I've not been very active on here for a while because I was thinking about selling the Accord though I have still been browsing in the background.

Car is a 54 Exec CTDI tourer.
I've felt that it has been a bit lacking in power for a while, but I also knew the exhaust manifold was cracked so didn't look into it until after that was sorted.
I was just going to trade it to we buy any car, but decided to keep it for a bit longer and so sort a few problems out.
Started by getting another manifold and had that fitted last week, which got rid of the fumes in the cabin, but power was still less than normal.

I've got Torque on my phone so used that to monitor what was happening.
Power always seemed to drop off around 2500-3000 rpm and watching a full acceleration run in 3rd gear showed that the maf sensor readings and boost dropped as I felt the car hold back. MAF dropped from 150ish to 90ish and boost from 22psi to 10psi ish. Both would then climb again but slowly.

Then about a day later the car suddenly developed a loud wailing noise, sounding like the turbo and I suspected a boost hose had come loose but all appeared fine.
Now the car won't boost at all, struggles to get to 60mph and struggles to 2000rpm when driving and won't rev out in neutral either.
Noise has now gone too, can't hear the turbo.
Also I get no black smoke, no fault codes or anything.

Things I've checked:
Boost solenoid is sucking at idle and pulling on the actuator rod.
Air intake is clear.
MAP sensor clear.
EGR valve appears to be working (was working fine in Torque before this).

Current thoughts are vanes in the turbo are stuck or maf sensor.
At the most the car is now producing 1psi of boost.
Fuel filter is a Honda one and has only done about 6k but I've got a new one on order anyway.

Any other ideas? Starting to wish I had traded it now before I started spending money on it.

Hi mate, sounds like a popped turbo or hose.. Has it been on a ramp and inspected properly? Can you get it down to me for some diagnostics? Bit of a trek from Durham with a broken car though. I guess it's time to take it to a garage and let them diagnose it.

I wouldn't fancy trying to get it to you the speed it does.
My mate has his own garage and that is who fitted the manifold for me last week.
Called in to see him today and he agreed that no hoses are loose and nothing showed up on his diagnostics either.
Couldn't get it on the ramp as they were all full but he is going to look at it later in the week, just hoping for some ideas before then that I could try really.

Current thinking is turbo vanes stuck or dead turbo.
MAF giving low readings?
Blocked exhaust?
EGR Valve

Starts perfect, idles perfect, just no power at all.
I did manage to make it give me the P1237 code this afternoon when pushing it up to 60mph in 4th gear but that is the one and only time it has given any fault codes.

If it is the EGR valve can your map turn it off and get around the problem, or does it need to be working to be turned off?

EGR needs to be working mate, but I would say the whaling sound is a big giveaway. It's a blown turbo I'm afraid.

I pulled the intake pipe off the turbo tonight and had a feel inside.
It wasn't all oily and not really much play in the shaft, but the shaft was a bit stiff to turn.
I've turned it a bit with my fingers though it was awkward lying under the car.
I guess I need a new or used turbo, but after putting it back together again the turbo is now making the wailing sound again so I guess I have free'd it up a bit.

It shut spin freely mate, sounds like bad carbon build up or seized bearings.

Just to update this I've had the turbo replaced and the car is now quicker than it has been in a long time

Good stuff Dave what did it cost in the end mate.

£160 for a good used turbo and mates rates for fitting :)
He also did my oil and filter change and rear anti roll bar bushes while he was on, so all in all a good result.
Car is now quieter and faster and I'm enjoying driving it again.

Great price mate its so good to have mates rates.

We checked that the oil feed pipes were ok but not checked the old turbo yet. It had definitely been failing for a while though