What's new

Metal Shavings on Dipstick

Cheddars

Members
Reaction score
Car
2009 Astra Twintop
Hia guys - keep finding silver metal shavings on dipstick. I changed the oil and filter 1k miles ago, it's already very black too.

I'm trying to find reasons as to why as I've never had this problem on a car before. The car since new belonged to the crypt keeper, he put 103k sedate miles on it - for the past 2k miles it see's the other side of the rev range quite often with me :ph34r:

To put my mind at rest is it silly thinking that it may have blown off crap that may have sat around the engine that has built up over the years and has been sent to the sump with my driving or could it be something isn't quite right?

I believe sump plugs are magnetic, specifically to collect metal flakes. At the end of the day, with all the metal moving against metal, there will be the occasional metal flake. They should however be caught in the filter and/or the sump plug. As your flakes are present on the dip stick, I'd start taking it easy in terms of how much you press the loud pedal.

Change your oil, filter and sump plug and then keep checking your dip stick regularly. If the problem persists you need to get it to a trust worthy garage. You could be looking at something very wrong with your block :unsure: .

Cheers Steve, that doesn't sound too good, fingers crossed it'll be ok after another oil change

I think its a bit odd for it to be on dipstick too. Sounds like maybe the car was run low oil at some stages and has had hard metal to metal contact and shaved bits off!

Cheers guys :)

Gave the car an oil change last week and have done about 200 miles since, no metal shavings and is still clean - I think the oil filter may have failed