What's new

MOT - advice !

jonyyybe

Members
Reaction score
Car
CRZ 1.5 2010
Hi,

One of my mates have come to decision to change the tyres and he has alloys on 16 inch with 195/55 but he wants to put 205/55 on his 16 inch alloys.

On the car handbook and the sticker inside the car it does says only 195/55/16 tyre-alloys so the question is if he changes from 195/55 to 205/55 on the same 16 alloys does he still passes the MOT.

Is there any positive or negative if changing from 195 to 205? Car handling, braking, stability, noise, etc...

Maybe its a silly question but I really dont know what to advise him to do. Thank you.

Because of the sticker he needs his insurer's agreement to the change or they would invalidate any claim if they found out which they would in the event of a serious accident.

right, so the MOT it will be passed on 205/55/16 but in case of any accident the insurer it will invalidate -100% does it says somewhere - like a written law? thank you

I don't think the MOT goes into that kind of detail, as long as the wheel is on ok and does not foul anything I can't see why it would fail an MOT. call into a kwikfit and ask them, they'll know for sure.

freddofrog said:
I don't think the MOT goes into that kind of detail, as long as the wheel is on ok and does not foul anything I can't see why it would fail an MOT. call into a kwikfit and ask them, they'll know for sure.
And try to sell you a new set of brakes/shock absorbers, and a new mother-in-law. LOL wHAT CAR ARE WE TALKING ABOUT?

edgeoftime said:
And try to sell you a new set of brakes/shock absorbers, and a new mother-in-law. LOL wHAT CAR ARE WE TALKING ABOUT?
they're quite good at advice, they even re-fitted a clamp on the exhaust on my sons car for free - on an exhaust that they had not fitted - and my sister goes to her nearest for advice pre-MOT - and I've used them for tyre fitting

If he wants to change to 205 then you need to lower the 55 to 50 to keep the same rolling radius so as not to put the speedo out :) .

Yes as Pete says as he is moving up a size he needs to move down 5% on the profile to maintain correct rolling radius.

From an mot perspective they won't look at the sticker but he just needs to ensure the same tread pattern and tyre size is maintained on each axle pair.

I'm ***uming that whoever is thinking of doing this, is going to get it done at a tyre-fitters anyway, and a tyre-fitter won't fit anything that will fail an MOT. If the rims are taken in on their own, the same applies, but the fitters won't know if the car has been lowered regarding space in the arch etc etc

Are we talking of Honda Accord 7th generation? If yes, then I have never seen this model having 195/55 tyres on stock wheels.

hi, tks all for replies and lets asume that the MOT its passed with 205/50/16 and what about insurance...its such a big deal or not? to call or not ? of course all needs to be safe and legal.

ok - decided to go and stick with 1955/55/16 instead of 205/50/16 as less hassle and found a good tyre offer