What's new

MOT Advisory items...Advice please!

Munkyboy

Members
Reaction score
Car
7th Gen Type s
Apologies if not in the right section, be gentle with me am still new!

Picked up the car on Sunday (Type S) and noticed 2 advisory items on MOT:

os/f lower suspension arm rubber bush deteriorated
ns/f lower suspension arm rubber bush deteriorated

Am I right in thinking they mean the compliance bushes?

Spoke to Formula One Autos for a quote...wish I didn't quoted me £560+VAT for 2 x new wishbones stated bushes not sold separately...Sounded very unlikely.
Called Brayley Honda in Grays Quoted £268incl for replacement bushes and realignment (also some recall work that needs to be done) Is this reasonable?

Is getting urgent now as steering above 60mph is...interesting!

Yep compliance bushes. It's not a mssive job, recently did both on my wife's FR-V (identical setup to the Accord).

Got a mate to remove the wishbones for me, bought new compliance bushes from Hepworth Honda in Huddersfield (around £30 for the pair), took them over to my other mates garage and we used his heavy duty press to ease out the old bushes and press in the new ones.

Job done, total time maybe 2 hours..

Thanks...Yeah unfortunately I neither have the time or the equipment otherwise I'd give it a go!

Oh well I'll part with some cash on Friday and get back to enjoying the car shortly after!

Those prices are a bit silly. I got mine done recently for about £180 (and they realigned the tracking while they were at it). Not at Honda, but my local independent garage who are a little bit legendary with this sort of thing.

Anyway, the part you need to replace I think is number 8 here. So on Lings they're just under £21 each. So that's £42 for the pair, plus a couple of hours labour. Should be under £200. My local HiQ charges £30 for an alignment and you can get it realigned for free within ten of the alignment (should you hit a pothole or something).

So add on the alignment and you're into the low £200s. Getting nearer the Honda quote which is about right as Honda tend to charge more for labour.

IMO if they are an advisory on the (recent?) MOT they don't need doing yet, hence why the car didn't fail. It is an opinion of the tester that they are showing signs of wear. On one of my cars I've had the same MOT advisory on and off since 1997.

Thanks everyone...decided to book it in at Honda tomorrow. I wasn't particularly bothered about the advisory items at first but
After doing close to 400 miles since Sunday handling has now become an issue and I suspect the bushes deteriorated quicker than
Expected will let you know how I get on!

Yeah, worn compliance bushes batter the hell out of your handling :lol: . The car will feel awesome after the replacement parts are fitted.

Right...bushes replaced...Would love to tell you a happy tale of restored stability and smooth handling....Got a puncture less than 2 miles down the road before I got a chance to open it up!
Currently running around with a bling looking space-saver. Getting 2 fronts replaced this morning with full Hunter geometry...Will report back shortly :D

In a strange twist of fate and whilst unfortunate for the wallet, this could actually be the best thing possible, new front tyres, new compliance bushes and a Hunter alignment. The car will be awesome :D !

Yay....Tyres fitted, geometry done...All in the green except n/s/r camber (half expected that to be an issue will sort that out in the new year) car handles like a dream now!
It no longer wants to tear my arms off going round roundabouts and no wobble under braking or acceleration. My drive to work this afternoon will be fun filled.

Thanks everyone for advice!

Good result - it's amazing what a difference a bit of rubber makes ;)

Actually, mine always feels a little 'off' after new front tyres... settles down after a few 100 miles though. Hopefully yours will get even better!