What's new

MOT failure

simontown

Members
Reaction score
Car
2004 Accord Tourer
Hi Guys,

Took the Tourer in for its annual MOT and was surprised when the tester gave me a fail notice

Basically two issues:

1. Rear fog not working
  2. Front lower suspension bush failure

Did a bit of googling and found that the tow bar socket has a fog light cut off built in, basically a plastic pin which the plug pushes in and cuts off the fog....the pins get dirty/corroded and stick causing the fog to be switched of even when the plug from the trailer is not in....an easy fix just strip, clean and lubricate and hey presto!

The front suspension bush however has necessitated a trip to my friendly mech and after getting a discount part from HH I am hoping the labor costs won't be too painful. The mech advised me to buy the whole arm as the saving on labor outweighed the cost increment over just replacing the bush and the other bushes will also be brand new....

On the way to the garage the car developed a squeal from the rear passenger side...interesting the side where the caliper siezed a couple of years back....think it may have caused early failure of the bearing....will report back when I get the car back.

One other recent niggle is that under breaking the drivers seat seems to move forward a fraction? I have heard of issues with the mounting points but wondered if anyone has had similar issues, or is aware of a fix? Anyone taken a seat out?

Cheers

Simon

From time to time my drivers seat feels loose under cornering.
It definitely is not.
I've checked and checked. And checked.
Now I just live with this interesting and occasional quirk ;)

My seat used to but doesn't any more, all you can do is make sure rails are bolted down properly otherwise it's tiny amount of wear in the rails that causes it.

I'm presuming your on about the lower control arm (LCA) then yes it's easier to buy it complete.

My seat used to but doesn't any more, all you can do is make sure rails are bolted down properly otherwise it's tiny amount of wear in the rails that causes it.

I'm presuming your on about the lower control arm (LCA) then yes it's easier to buy it complete.

Front wishbone....

Ok so good news is the squel was from the pads...now replaced...bad news is need new front shocks .....

Other than that mot in place :rolleyes:

We're talking about the front compliance bush right? easy to change if you have access to a decent 2 tonne+ press.

We did them on my wife's FRV, once the wishbones are out (takes 15 minutes), the bush can be pressed out and new bush pressed in.

A genuine new wishbone is mega money and they are made from cast iron (or at least on the FRV they are). The replacement motor factor parts are never of the same quality. It's better to replace the bush with a genuine Honda part and keep it all OEM.

We're talking about the front compliance bush right? easy to change if you have access to a decent 2 tonne+ press.

We did them on my wife's FRV, once the wishbones are out (takes 15 minutes), the bush can be pressed out and new bush pressed in.

A genuine new wishbone is mega money and they are made from cast iron (or at least on the FRV they are). The replacement motor factor parts are never of the same quality. It's better to replace the bush with a genuine Honda part and keep it all OEM.

Replaced the front lower wish bone Oem from Honda..

I'm well confused :unsure:

If it's the bush then surely it's cheaper to replace that then the whole ***embly surely.

I'm well confused :unsure:

If it's the bush then surely it's cheaper to replace that then the whole ***embly surely.

Hmm....3 bushes £60-00 plus labour to take out and put back....new arm £211-00....I was advised cheaper to replace the arm....