What's new

mpg readout

There should be a fuel pressure sender on the common fuel rail which feeds the injectors. As for what type it is, I haven't a clue. It can't be a simple switch though, otherwise it wouldn't be able to measure the exact pressure, only that the pressure was above a set value.
Many modern pressure sensors are piezo electric i.e. solid state: pressure in = volts out. But is pressure measurement a suitable technique for monitoring fuel flow?

Dan don't let CJ read this :lol: i think he is just waiting and biding his time to pounce :lol:

Nice one CJ i new you would dig this info up that's why you have been quiet on this thread till now :lol:

Interesting explanation CJ. Presumably based on fact and not inspired guesswork?

Now a question: if you are sitting at traffic lights with your foot off the throttle, you are in principle doing zero mpg. Whereas going downhill with your foot off the throttle gives infinite mpg. So the throttle pedal position is not always giving the correct mpg, is it? Methinks there has to be a bit more intelligence in the system.

Interesting explanation CJ. Presumably based on fact and not inspired guesswork?

Now a question: if you are sitting at traffic lights with your foot off the throttle, you are in principle doing zero mpg. Whereas going downhill with your foot off the throttle gives infinite mpg. So the throttle pedal position is not always giving the correct mpg, is it? Methinks there has to be a bit more intelligence in the system.
Perhaps John this is where the computer is not 100% but you have to give at least a 5% either way in my book.

I shall consider myself Pounced Brett.

John, I suspect that is where the abs comes in measuring wheel sPeed.

Great explanation CJ and I learnt something too.

However I stick to my original point - the computer doesn't get it right (not even nearly right). Best stick to the old fashioned way and do it manually.

Ok this is pretty simple but need to understand all the components and logic behind it .This is applicable to petrol preface lift 2.4 and facelift 2.0 and 2.4 , as for diesel who bloody cares.

The entire system is called ETC aka in the Honda world as the Electronic Throttle Control

AccordOwnersClubUKETS.jpg

The two major components in this system are the APP aka Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor and DBW Drive by wire.

What is APP ? This replaces the mechanical linkages between the accelerator pedal and the throttle, but the APP still uses a wire to give the driver the positive progressive feel and feedback. With the big organ sizes pedal and wire you got to admit the pedal feel on our car is spot on. Now to make the mechanical changes from the pedal understandable in volts to the ECU the APP is piggybacked on by the APS aka Accelerator Position Sensor.

The signal from the APS is proportional to the accelerator position being fed by the wire and gives the corresponding volts to the ECU how much to open and close the engine throttle.

What is DBW

The drive by wire unit consists of a TA aka Throttle Actuator and TPS aka Throttle Position sensor The APS is feeding info to the ECU which in turns feeds the TPS which tells the TA how much the throttle should be opened in respect to the APS. DBW unit is driven by a little DC motor which is a fed info directly from the TA. Inside the car under the dash you have the Throttle Actuator Control module relay & Throttle Actuator Control Module. This module enables data logging on the ECU.

Now how does this mileage calculated then?

When the engine is idling the ECU controls the TA to maintain the proper idle speed according to engine loads. When the accelerator pedal is pressed the ECU open throttle valve depending on the APP and APS sensor signal. This data is constantly being logged on ECU.The base MPG is purely calculated on throttle positioning. Use less of that throttle you will get higher mileage, do down a hill with no throttle you will see the GUI displaying 100 MPG the minute you touch it is comes down quickly.. Hence the huge variation in city driving and cursing on the motorway.

ETS is a very complex beast which heavily integrates with three core area namely ABS & TCS Traction Control System & Side slip control to make up VSA , that for another thread which is very interesting..
I still think it has more to do with injector 'on' time because if the MPG was calculated purely by throttle position, how could the system compensate for ambient temperature/ pressure differences ie. engine requiring more fuel in cold weather due to the air being denser? just my opinion...

I still think it has more to do with injector 'on' time because if the MPG was calculated purely by throttle position, how could the system compensate for ambient temperature/ pressure differences ie. engine requiring more fuel in cold weather due to the air being denser? just my opinion...
+1 And think of it this way, if fuelling was just down to throttle position why have an ECU, how would remapping work? Throttle position is part of it, but other factors are taken into account. The amount of fuel injected in either petrol or diesel engines is a complex equation, air temp/engine temp/load etc etc. Injector dwell and fuel pressure are certainly the main parts of the calculation to get the amount of fuel used. Then fuel trim has to be thought about.

I see the on board trip computer as an mpg estimator. Mine was fairly accurate prior to remapping, and as I switched between standard map and Stage 1 quite a few times when looking into the smoking problem, I can say after remapping its much more optimistic, probably because they have reduced the air fuel ratio from the standard Honda values, and this throws off the mpg calculator.

Maddog beat me to it. I've been thinking about this all morniing. The only way an ecu can even come close to getting the mpg value correct is by knowing how much fuel has been used, regardless of other parameters i.e temperature, over a certain distance. Honda must know how much fuel passes through a brand new injector at a certain pressure. This would be a simple equation for an ecu to calculate. I would have thought the inaccuracies come in because the injectors and pressure sensors are not perfectly calibrated, and become worn over time. Just seems logical to me, but could be wrong.

You diesel boys are getting confused the above parameters are for a petrol engine , diesel engine do not have throttles!!

if you had a remap the whole ballgame for calculating MPG via the GUI have changed.. so please stop getting your knickers in a diesel twist. :lol:
just out of interest, if diesels don't have throttles, what controls the amount of air the engine takes in ?

just out of interest, if diesels don't have throttles, what controls the amount of air the engine takes in ?
I just googled it, it seems diesels don't need to control the air intake....oh well, learn something new everyday :blush:

The laws of physics have their uses matey :lol:

Man this is to complicated for me its frying my brain :lol:

Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor The MAF sensor contains hot wire and a thermistor. It is located in the intake air passage. The resistance of the hot wire and thermistor change due to intake air temperature and air flow. The control circuit in the MAF sensor controls the current to keep the hot wire at a set temperature. The current is coverted to voltage in the control circuit, then output to the ECU.

Now I wonder, would the airflow/temperature be directly proportional to the amount of fuel injected? Answers on the back of a postcard......

bring back the simple carburated engines..... :lol:

Here here!! no rev limiter either..I love tuning carbs all by hear, feel, and smells love it pure magical

http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/topic/363-diy-1st-gen-carb-overhual/
yeah, nothing like trying to keep twin SUs or twin webers in tune :wub:

CJ definitely knows his black stuff!!

Yeah, like my first car - a 1932 Austin 7. 0 - 30 mph in 5 minutes....... :blink:
or like my last carburated car 1/4 mile in 12 sec @ 108mph

Well I had 680 something a few weeks back, but you gotta be well disciplined to achieve it.

Well I had 680 something a few weeks back, but you gotta be well disciplined to achieve it.
And very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very LATE!!!!!!

Well you keep saying that mate, but really you end up at your destination maybe 10 minutes later but more relaxed. Our minds are automatically programmed to get to our destination as quickly as possible, but given the state of our motorways, you can make steady economical progress sat in the 1st lane at 60mph and get to where you're going not much later than the plonker weaving in and out of lanes trying to do triple figures speeds all the way. You're almost guaranteed to hit traffic jams at some point in a 130 mile trip and any progress you've made by speeding is just cancelled out.

Don't get me wrong, I don't sit in the 1st lane at 55-60mph but it was interesting experiement with surprising results for me personally. Just have some decent music in your cd player :lol:

Well, I do understand that, but my problem is that I tend to crash if I drive slowly... I get bored and start to get distracted or fall asleep... ;) .... When I do long journeys (more than 5-6 hours), I tend to cruise at different speeds just to break the monotonous drive... It's very refreshing after 20 mins of 70 mph to do a 20 min blast of 90... or 100... or ...