What's new

My 1st Honda - 2.0 Vtec Tourer Exec - Recent caliper should I replace hoses?

jaynemc

Members
Reaction score
Car
Tourer Exec 05
Hi Folks,

Finally I am here with my latest purchase - I joined this forum about a year ago but had to wait until I had completed my property renovation work in my old Focus estate before I could buy myself a really nice car that would not be used for my business. Its one I want to keep for a while.

Its a 2005 Tourer Exec 2.0 i-VTEC. One owner from new with FHSH and 50k miles. Hope you like the pic!

Accord.jpg

Its my 1st ever Honda and its a lovely car to drive .... particularly the way it grips those twisty B-roads with its new Pirellis!

Anyway to cut to the chase I bought the car suspecting it had a sticking brake caliper on the rear passenger side as the alloy was warm to touch on the test drive. I bought the car and took it to my local independent garage and they freed up the caliper and fitted new brake pads all round (they were low on the front and cooked on the problem rear wheel). That cost £160 (inclu VAT) which the chap who I bought the car from paid for.

All was fine for about a week and then the warm alloy was back again. The car went back to the same garage and they fitted a recon brake caliper - this time £100 cash.

Now I know the car is really right as it drives far better - it was nice before but just felt a bit down on power now its really nice! :D

I've been reading a number of posts on here about brake hoses and how they cause problems for calipers. Its FHSH and none of the service invoices I have from Brindley Honda in the Midlands detail anything to do with either calipers or brake hoses. There is just 1 mention of brake fluid at 42k and as this is only £5.90 I guess its a top-up rather than a drain and re-fill.

So is the car of an age now where the brake hoses could be starting to cause caliper problems? Should I take the car back and get the hoses replaced as a precaution? Given the price for a set of 4 would it be best to get them all changed? Also would it be a good idea at the same time to get the brake fluid replaced?

Many thanks in advance for your advice. Jayne.

Originally, having suffered seized callipers myself I'd say do change them just to be on the safe side. But recently someone on here replaced his brake hoses for similar reasons to you and out of curiosity, he dissected the old hose only to find it was absolutely fine inside. So I'd just drain and replace the fluid entirely. Any contaminants floating around should come out in the fluid and I'd only worry about replacing the hoses if you have further issues.

Car looks savage by the way. Really nice. What's the front bumper? It's got a nice styling that I don't think I've seen before. Same goes for the grill. I'd be interested to know where you got those parts.

Originally, having suffered seized callipers myself I'd say do change them just to be on the safe side. But recently someone on here replaced his brake hoses for similar reasons to you and out of curiosity, he dissected the old hose only to find it was absolutely fine inside. So I'd just drain and replace the fluid entirely. Any contaminants floating around should come out in the fluid and I'd only worry about replacing the hoses if you have further issues.

Car looks savage by the way. Really nice. What's the front bumper? It's got a nice styling that I don't think I've seen before. Same goes for the grill. I'd be interested to know where you got those parts.

Hi Steve - Many thanks for your reply. Interesting about the guy who dissected his old brake hoses - one sure way to find out what is going on with them! The problem with the 'wait and see what happens' method is that I may not have any further problems with brake calipers but then again if I do its more £££ either to get the caliper unseized or replaced with a recon caliper .... either way it costs probably more than changing all the hoses at this point which I gathered from reading posts here is not a lengthy job. I tend to agree on the brake fluid - its just something that never tends to get changed.

Glad you like the car by the way .... the front bumper & grill I am hoping are original to the car and that it hasn't seen some kind of frontal action! There's certainly no evidence to suggest it under the bonnet. The car has 1 previous owner before me but was a demonstrator for Brindley Honda where the car came from for the 1st 6 months of its life so I am hoping that they thought they would do something different in terms of styling to make it stand out as a demonstrator car.

Thanks again. Jayne.

Well that front bumper is awesome. I've never seen one like it and I've spent a long time googling things about our cars. Perhaps a very unusual/rare front bumper and grill from the Japanese spec or something. Either way, to own a former Honda show-car says its appearance was obviously taken very seriously, which is nice. I might do some googling, see if I can find another grill like it.

hi jayne, lovely motor, as steve says don't worry about the hoses but maybe think about a complete fluid change and getting the brake slider pins greased because they might be dry.

has that front wheel got a directional tread & if so is it on right?

Welcome along Jayne.

Congrats on the purchase and completing your property renovation

Well that front bumper is awesome. I've never seen one like it and I've spent a long time googling things about our cars. Perhaps a very unusual/rare front bumper and grill from the Japanese spec or something. Either way, to own a former Honda show-car says its appearance was obviously taken very seriously, which is nice. I might do some googling, see if I can find another grill like it.

Ah I see the bumper you are talking about now, this bumper was an accessory front sports bumper, and iirc the grille came with, wasn't a cheap piece either, but it does look rather nice. Only thing is I'd have left the grille black but each thier own.

Best of luck with the car Jayne ;)

Nice car, and I've also never seen that bumper before.

Nice car mate and welcome to TA

Ok, I've found the Bumper. It's called the Modulo Voltage

7785009748_d3dfb944cc_o.jpg

As for the grill, I've found some cars on Honda-Tech with that grill, but I can't find what it's called.

Ok, I've found the Bumper. It's called the Modulo Voltage

7785009748_d3dfb944cc_o.jpg

As for the grill, I've found some cars on Honda-Tech with that grill, but I can't find what it's called.

Dude, I've already said the grille comes with the bumper, on this side of the water it was available as, and is called a Sports Bumper, which included fog lights. I have the brochure somewhere for it.
I'll try get some pics of it.

Hi Folks,

Thanks for all the comments on my car .... glad you like it. Its intersting to read what you find about the bumper and the grill. Here's a close up pic of the front end - Steve and Mr Honda can compare it to some of the pics they have been finding.

Accord1.jpg

BarneyRubble - thanks for the advice on the frake fluid change - what difference will getting the brake slider pins greased make? Does this help with brake caliper problems? Also good point on the direction of the tyre tread I will have a look at this. You'd think a tyre fitter could at lease manage to check that! :eek:

Cheers ..... Jayne

Hi Jayne, lovely motor, keep us updated on how it goes with the changes please.

I just picked up my Tourer today, I didn't even drive it until I handed over the cash and signed for it :unsure: Please come with me the next time i take a test drive!!! You know your onions!

I think that's my new favourite front end on the 7th gen. What a great look. I want one :lol:

nice car pal and first bumper i've seen like that. Does look really nice though.

What are your plans for it

I'm changing my rear Discs, pads, caliper soon and will change the flexis at the same time.

Flexi's vary so much in price.

£49 EACH from Lings (Honda)
£30.25 EACH from a local motor factors
£12 EACH from a different local factors
£34.99 for a PAIR of HEL Braided hoses.